PDA

View Full Version : What materials does this machine cut well?

TurtleCove
04-09-2013, 06:43 PM
We all know the CarveWright cuts wood well.
And, also Cast Acrylic.
I'd love to hear from other users, of what materials they've easily cut...and what type of bit they used.

Specifically, I'm wondering about 1/4" Hardboard (that's what my hardware store calls it), extruded acrylic (most folks say "it melts", to this material, but I wonder if any have tried with a single flute bit. Primarily, I'm looking for a substitute to 1/4" cast acrylic, due to the difficulty in getting it locally, and its expense.

Underdog
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
1/4" hardboard should cut well. I think it's basically just a form of MDF with more glue. I cut it all the time with a 3/16 two flute downshear bit on our industrial router.

I've not tried any extruded acrylic.

spalted
04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I haven't cut hardboard with my machine.
But if I remember right there is hardboard, and tempered Masonite. I think they are two different materials. The tempered Masonite is a little more dense and seemed to cut cleaner on the saw, so I assume it would route better also.
Around here hardboard is more of a tan or light brown color the Masonite is dark brown and glossy.
Not really an answer to your question, but might still be useful for you.

Underdog
04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Whether it's hardboard, tempered Masonite, or MDF, I think they're all similar materials and can all be cut with your CarveWright. The more glue in them the cleaner they cut. We cut 3/4" door grade MDF (higher glue content) for doors all the time and it makes a much nicer door than plain MDF.