PDA

View Full Version : Love to see a CW customer win this...

lynnfrwd
04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201255-Build-Us-A-Box-Contest

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201255-Build-Us-A-Box-Contest)

bergerud
04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I think you may have to own one of their machines.

"showing just how incredible your new Baileigh machine really is"

Opps, I guess you just have to buy one of their machines if you win.

lynnfrwd
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
It doesn't appear to say that. It does have to include the logo.:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=258310&d=1362757689&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=258310&d=1364403710)

Join this fun giveaway, all you have to do is post an entry!
Please read and understand the rules before posting

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=258319&d=1364405454&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=258319&d=1364405454)

Welcome to the Baileigh Industrial Woodworking:

"Build us a Baileigh box
and win $1,600 bucks !!"

contest and machinery giveaway!

Baileigh has a complete line of wood working machinery.
Whether you’re building the interior of an award winning yacht,
manufacturing high end cabinetry, or creating that art piece in your
hobby shop, Baileigh has you covered.

Right now we are offering free shipping on any of our wood
products to anywhere in the lower 48. Please take a moment
to browse our website and check out our entire line of machinery.

http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/

If you would like a catalog, a
quote, or would like to talk to one our
woodworking experts, please call or email.

sales@baileighindustrial.com or 920-684-4990.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=258310&d=1362757689&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=258310&d=1364403710)

Your friends here at Baileigh Industrial Woodworking are giving one Member of the
SawMill Creek Community a chance to win $1,600 in Baileigh bucks to be spent on
anything on our website. We will also include free shipping, a giant Baileigh banner for your shop,
hats, stickers and free wood machinery training by our staff of wood experts.

The Contest:

The rules are simple, impress us and the rest of the
forum by building a wooden box.
The Baileigh logo must be incorporated in to the theme of the box
No size limit, anything goes
All entries must have a name
All woodworking techniques are welcome
All entries must be well documented with pictures and / or videos to prove authenticity as long as they are built by the contestant
Enter the contest by posting your entry in this thread
We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project
Remember this is a woodworking contest, please keep the entries mostly wood if you can
Hinges, knobs and accessories are OK
Have some fun and BE CREATIVE with your entry

Please remember that this is a contest….

STAND OUT FROM THE REST AND WIN!

Should you win, we are going to need photos, testimonials,
a couple You Tube videos, and woodworking build threads
started showing just how incredible your new Baileigh machine really is.
This would be used both here on SawMill Creek.org and also on the
Baileigh Industrial websites here, in the UK, Germany and Australia.
International, baby! In a way you will become the next “celebrity spokesperson” for Baileigh.

The Rules:

The contests runs from 4-1-13 to 5-1-2013
Entries close at 12:00pm CST (high noon!) on 5-1-2013
The Baileigh woodworking team will pick the finalists
A poll will be started on the forum (SAWMILL CREEK) and will run for 1 week
The winner will be picked by the members of this forum
Winners will be notified in this thread and will have one (1) week
to respond and accept their prize. Should the chosen winner
not claim their prize, 2nd place winner will be chosen, and so on until the prize is claimed.
If anyone has any questions regarding this contest please let us
know by asking them in this thread, sending a pm, or contacting us
direct through our website.

Thank you all and good luck!

bergerud
04-09-2013, 02:14 PM

International, baby! In a way you will become the next “celebrity spokesperson” for Baileigh.

CNC Carver
04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I think that will be of the equipment you buy using the $1,600 after you win.

lynnfrwd
04-09-2013, 02:21 PM

I read this as SHOULD YOU WIN, you are going to need to show off the new Baileigh machine that you are going to buy with your $1600 Baileigh bucks, in videos, photos, etc...

bergerud
04-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I did realize that shortly after my original post (and edited it). I think we just had a commuiction breakdown!

Surely, however, the judges will be biased for projects made with their CNC machines!

lawrence
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
my guess is that not many sawmill creekers (if any) have Baileigh machines... this appears to be open for sawmill creek members (of which I happen to be one) only... the thread linked actually mentions someone asking if laser folks wouldn't have an advantage and the company rep responding that all types of woodworking (turning, etc) has an advantage in one way of another.

It seems like a fun/legit contest for all to enter- though time is short (1 May deadline). Thanks for the link Connie!

Lawrence

JuicyCarp
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
If anyone enters this contest, I think they should post thier entry here too! I know I would love to see them!

DickB
04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I might jump in on this. I could use a box for my dado set. I'm thinking, what says "industrial" better than diamond plate - in this case, custom Baileigh logo-shaped diamond plate?

lynnfrwd
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
I like it.

CNC Carver
04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Dick that would make a great box.

DickB
04-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I need to step up my game a bit. There are a few posts of other works in progress, one with amazing marquetry. Taking a close look at the logo, I noticed that the sides have a subtle curve, as do the top and bottom. If I used the logo as sides of a square box, no side would be flat - all six would have compound curves. Not something I've done before, but what the heck. The attached rendering is crude and incomplete, but you probably get the idea.

JuicyCarp
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
is it cheating if someone shares the logo .mpc here for others to use?

lynnfrwd
04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
No. They posted the logo on the other forum.

DickB
04-13-2013, 02:28 PM
I've carved the inset "diamond plate" piece of the top cover. This was a two-sided carve in 1.25" thick maple I had left over from another project. Then cut to size on the table saw. Also working on the sides. Hard to tell in this state, but these have a very slight dish to them, so that the corners will also reflect that slight curve. I cut some scrap plywood roughly to shape to check that I have the correct compound miter angles for the sides.

61563 61564

roughcut
04-13-2013, 06:45 PM
I've carved the inset "diamond plate" piece of the top cover. This was a two-sided carve in 1.25" thick maple I had left over from another project. Then cut to size on the table saw. Also working on the sides. Hard to tell in this state, but these have a very slight dish to them, so that the corners will also reflect that slight curve. I cut some scrap plywood roughly to shape to check that I have the correct compound miter angles for the sides.

61563 61564Maybe you could add some rivets after all deck plate is supposed to be metal

DickB
04-14-2013, 12:45 PM
I had thought about adding some bolts, but decided no to bolts or rivets. I am planning to use some "industrial" hinges and a hasp.

I completed the sides and cut the critical miters. Looks like a good fit. Now you can see the subtle curve in the faces of the sides. With the straight edges of the boards no longer needed to cut the miters, the next step is to cut the top and bottom curves on the bandsaw.

61616 61617

mtylerfl
04-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I talked to Keith Outen (founder/owner of Sawmill Creek) a couple days ago at the recent Vectric Camp. After catching up with each other on some things, I mentioned he might see some CarveWright owners submit some entries and he is looking forward to seeing them! Keith also said they are planning to add more contests like this - - open to everyone and it doesn't matter what machine(s) they use.

I hope some more CW users will submit some entries (start designing/carving...deadline is fast approaching).

Your Industrial Box is looking really great, Dick!

DickB
04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks Michael!

I'm curious what other woodworkers think regarding the use of CNC machines. I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the matter. There are many fine woodworkers that use hand tools and methods, and of course they have developed great skill. But I'm guessing that they also have power saws, planers, bandsaws for resawing, and the like. To me, CNC machines are the next step in the evolutionary line. And of course, there is some skill in the design and usage of the machines - not the same as say a hand carving skill, but a skill that must be developed nonetheless. I do suspect that some may attribute less worth to a project on which a CNC was used. It will be interesting to see the other contest entrants and methods used. Regardless, it has been a fun project for me, and it prompted me to push my own envelope some.

Back to the project, I finished carving the box bottom and will fit it tomorrow. Also been working on the hinges. Because of all the curves, the geometry doesn't allow simply slapping on a "standard" hinge. I've changed direction on how I plan to solve this problem; still fine-tuning the solution.

I'm thinking that this basic box design, minus the logo and "diamond plate", may make an elegant box project on its own.

JuicyCarp
04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
LHR should do something like this!

DickB
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
I like the idea of an LHR-sponsored contest.

Back to the current contest entry, I cut the bottom a bit oversize, then gradually "snuck up" on the exact dimensions by trimming a fraction of an inch on all sides, then test-fitting the part. In this photo I was nearly there - the bottom fits flush with the sides now. Starting to look like a box.

Next it was on to cutting the curved frame pieces for the top and again making critical compound miter cuts for the proper fit. The frame is joined to the top with biscuits, and Ryobi mini biscuits are also used at the ends of the frames on the 45 degree angled surfaces.

DickB
04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I have a lot of sanding and finishing yet to do, but construction is pretty much done.

61701 61702 61704

I had picked out some unfinished, industrial-looking exposed hinges for this project, but because of the compound curves in the top these could not simply be screwed on. I was planning to machine some bosses into the top and back, but I decided that would spoil the looks, so switched to hidden hinges. To get the top to lift clear of the curved back before opening, I used a type of hinge often seen on automobile trunk lids. I went through a few iterations of test mules before getting the geometry correct. I would liked to have carved the hinge arms for some extra detail, but I am running out of time. I have already set aside two other projects and I need to get back at them. As is, they do add a bit of that industrial look to them in my opinion. I did spend more time on them than anticipated. You might not be able to see that the wood arms have brass tubing inserts at the pivots to act as bushings.

61706 61707 61708 61705

mtylerfl
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Well, I vote you should WIN! I love the creative hinge configuration!

P.S. - I think that box would be a very popular selling item in the CarveWright Project Store!

SharonB
04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I second Michael's assessment of your project. The hinges really adds to the whole design. Since I'm not much on the designing of projects I too would like to see the project in the Project Store

bergerud
04-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree and I hope you do win. It is a very unique box and should win for that alone. I think, however, it would help to have a purpose. Something cool in the box. Measuring instruments, router bits, or ??? A surprise when it is opened. Something coveted by woodworkers. I know you are short on time, just an idea.

DickB
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks. If I put it into the pattern depot, I might need to make some changes. I used Ryobi detail biscuits on the joinery (much smaller than more common ones), not exactly something everyone has in their shop. Actually, the machine has been discontinued and the biscuits are getting hard to find. It is a challenging box to assemble, as the compound miter cuts have to be spot on.

bergerud, I agree regarding a purpose. I actually built this for my dado set. The box that came with the set is twice as thick as it needs to be. I was planning to build a box insert for the blades. One problem is my dado set is 8", and with the switch to hidden hinges inside the box, I'm not sure that I have enough room to fit the blades anymore! But yes, I will be putting some shop item or items in it.

DickB
04-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey bergerud, it was your suggestion - bet you can tell what this is going to be:

bergerud
04-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I think I know!

aokweld101
04-19-2013, 09:30 PM
as a craftsman you know when u do a great job, that is awesum.... and u have my vote!!!!!!!

DickB
04-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks! I made this finger grip for the top yesterday. Dipped in Envirotex Lite epoxy-like clear coat for wear protection.

lawrence
04-20-2013, 09:51 AM
First off, AMAZING job Dick. I think you have a genuine shot at this thing.

Secondly (and not due to the competition which is amazing but rather due to time constraints) I'm not going to be able to participate and longer. Dick, I think that you are going to be an AMAZING representative of the Carvewright and your woodworking skills in general.

Lawrence

DickB
04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks Lawrence! Best of luck in your endeavors!

DickB
04-21-2013, 11:54 AM
One of the contest rules is "All entries must have a name". I think I'm going to name mine B3 (B superscript 3 as in B cubed)- Baileigh Bit Box. I completed the removable bit tray, which allows the box to be repurposed if so desired. The back rows of bits are angled forward to make it easier to remove and replace them with the cover on (which does partially cover the back of the box when open.)

Now to apply the finish. Looks like I will make the deadline by a margin.

bergerud
04-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Looking good. I like the name.

DickB
04-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I wonder if I could get a little help for this project. Part of the contest states "We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project." I think the project presentation will be important. I would like to get some video of the CarveWright carving one of the box sides. I'm guessing many over at the Sawmill Creek forum have not seen one in action. I've tried, and I just can't get decent video of my CarveWright - not sure if it's my camera or the lighting or the cramped space. Some of you have posted some nice video of the machine in action. Would you be willing to carve a box side and take some video for me? You would need a 1" x 6" x 12" nominal or bigger board, preferably maple, and possibly a sled. Send me a PM please with your email address and I'll send the mpc. I'll need the video this week.

bergerud
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
If no one else steps up, I will do it. My machines are not stock so it would be a distraction. Someone with a clean C machine should do it for the sake of advertising the CW.

DickB
04-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks very much for the offer. But I changed up my lighting and got not great but acceptable video. The whole promotional/how-to video is coming along well. I just need the finish to dry on the box itself to complete and publish the video.

DickB
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Baileigh says "We like pictures, videos, and cool stuff like that; teach us all what you did and how to build your project", so I put together this video on design and construction of my box:

http://youtu.be/xmx3Tpoj7pk

CNC Carver
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
All I can say WOW!!! Very nicely done. Hope you win for all your effort! Thanks for sharing!

bergerud
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Excellent presentation. I second the WOW. We are all going to need therapy if someone else wins.

Bigtyme
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Great presentation, Dick and a great design. Very impressive. We will all be pulling for you to take the top prize. It will be well deserved....

lynnfrwd
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I'll be casting my vote for you!

You did an excellent job!! Very proud of you.

Thanks for taking the challenge and carrying the CarveWright flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
and one more WOW!!!

Excellent design, presentation and build.

Thank you for sharing it and I wish you every fortune with the contest itself, but either way you have already won with that design.

I'm especially interested in the hinge stop-- could you tell us about that a bit more?

V/r
Lawrence

mtylerfl
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Dick,

This has got to be one of the most impressive uses of the Designer software I've seen. Clearly, you have it down pat. The results speak for themselves. Your hinge idea is icing on the cake and the video is outstanding.

You have done a truly exceptional job and you should be very, very proud. Undoubtedly, this will be an "in demand" project if you decide to make it available in the CarveWright Project Store.

A million kudos to you!

jlovchik
04-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Absolutely amazing project! I am very impressed. Great concept, and perfect execution. I hope you don't mind, I'm posting this video to the CarveWright Build Blog, and will include it in our next newsletter.

Great Job!
Joe

chebytrk
04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Awesome Looking !

SharonB
04-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Wow! That sure finished up nice. I really like the video... I know I'll be looking at it several more times. Your box and video are #1 on my list.

DickB
04-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks all! It's been a fun and challenging project, including putting the video together. There are always things one would like to do better, but I'm travelling tomorrow so I had to finish today.

I'm especially interested in the hinge stop-- could you tell us about that a bit more?
Lawrence
Lawrence, the video really sums it up. The cover has to move upward in back to clear the box before opening, just like many trunk lids do. So I Googled trunk hinge images and studied a few, then tried a few different configurations with scraps. Trial and error really.

radman5506
04-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks Michael!

I'm curious what other woodworkers think regarding the use of CNC machines. I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the matter. There are many fine woodworkers that use hand tools and methods, and of course they have developed great skill. But I'm guessing that they also have power saws, planers, bandsaws for resawing, and the like. To me, CNC machines are the next step in the evolutionary line. And of course, there is some skill in the design and usage of the machines - not the same as say a hand carving skill, but a skill that must be developed nonetheless. I do suspect that some may attribute less worth to a project on which a CNC was used. It will be interesting to see the other contest entrants and methods used. Regardless, it has been a fun project for me, and it prompted me to push my own envelope some.

Back to the project, I finished carving the box bottom and will fit it tomorrow. Also been working on the hinges. Because of all the curves, the geometry doesn't allow simply slapping on a "standard" hinge. I've changed direction on how I plan to solve this problem; still fine-tuning the solution.

I'm thinking that this basic box design, minus the logo and "diamond plate", may make an elegant box project on its own.Dick You have hit this right out of the park and into the next county. I agree with your comments about woodworkers and there is a place for using CNC but just like most of technology it is still based on the basics as you have shown with project. You designed the project and used your Carvewright to make it but it still took woodworking knowledge to get it to come together. KUDOs cubed for the "B" cubed. Tom

DickB
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks Tom. Also, thanks Connie for including my project in the spring announcement.

Baileigh reposted my video with "Welcome to the finals" over at Sawmill Creek!

lynnfrwd
04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Wow. Immediate selection into the finals?!? Great job.

Capt Bruce
04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
We're all pulling for you to win Dick. You've already scored here among your colleagues so we hope the contest Judges recognize all the creativity and craftsmanship that went into the design and your finished project. Outstanding Sir.

DickB
04-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks. The first judges are the Baileigh folks, picking the finalists, and I have passed that round. The contest will then be decided by a vote of the Sawmill Creek forum members. Since I am a new member there, and not well known like some of the other contestants, it may be an uphill battle for me.

lynnfrwd
04-27-2013, 06:46 PM
True. But hopefully, they will vote for the best project. I'm a member.

Geomoo1
04-27-2013, 06:54 PM
I am totally awed by your project. Your craftsmanship and skill with the CarveWright and designing ability are nothing short of fantastic. The only uphill I can see is the others trying to match your accomplishments.

DickB
04-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks George. I enjoy the design aspect at least as much as the build. I "rehearsed" for the video, so it probably looks like my use of the Designer and design is easier than it actually is for me. I have not yet even attempted to learn true 3D model making. With the price of 3D printers dropping, it may be something I will do at some point. But I also have other clock designs in mind and under way, and would like to get those to fruition as well.

cestout
04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Those hinges are great, but I guess that is what I should expect from a clock maker. A good way to cut those compound miter joints is to cut 2 wedge blocks at the same angle as the angle of the sides, place them against the back fence of the miter saw, put the piece top down on the table and just cut a 45 deg. angle - the way you would cut crown molding. (you can do this with hexagonal and octagonal boxes as well.)You would have to do this before cutting the curved top. You really challenge us!

DickB
05-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the miter tip, cestout.

The contest is open for voting. The moderator has collected the various postings by contestants and placed them here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202772-Vote-For-Your-Favorite-Baileigh-Box-Contest-Entry There are some amazing entries, definitely worth a look if you haven't seen them yet.

chief2007
05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Looks like DickB is currently second in the voting.

bergerud
05-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Number one looks hard to beat. Inlays and hand work. Looks like old school Vs CNC. Will be interesting.

CNC Carver
05-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Go cast your vote. Help Dick win! It would be nice to have a fellow carvewright user win this contest!

lawrence
05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
I voted... and it was actually a tough call.

I've met and enjoyed meeting Bill Wyko and he's a great guy and was really helpful in giving me assistance with my humidor. This humidor, as is the case with his other work, is amazing.

Some of the other pieces (especially the maze) were pretty cool and showed innovation, but in the end I think it is really down to Dick and Bill's projects.

It really is close as to the "awesomeness" of the projects but in the end, Dick's work felt more "out of the box" and while it displayed excellent craftsmanship,
at the same time it was really out of the norm comfort zone for many woodworkers. The hinges and shape of the box really displays excellent command of compound angles.

I tried not to let the comments about CNCs/lasers affect my voting, but I understand I am biased and a little sensitive about folks making comments
about CNC work being "of less value" than non-cnc work... until you actually use a CNC it is difficult to comprehend the skills using one required. In addition,
there is often (as in this case) a lot of "traditional woodworking" involved in projects that also use a cnc.

My vote is in, and though a tough call, I went with Dick's box... and though it wasn't an easy decision, I would like to think my decision is based on merit and not just on
the fact that he used a CW... he truly deserves to win IMHO.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Not only is it a great project, but a great explanation of the build process in a really top-notch video. It does a fine job of incorporating the Baleigh logo through out. I voted. Dick's leading now.

If you are a member at Sawmill Creek; go vote!

The other project by Bill Wyko is, also, truly amazing. It will be a very close race.

lawrence
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
here's the link to vote btw..

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202772-Vote-For-Your-Favorite-Baileigh-Box-Contest-Entry

Lawrence

mtylerfl
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I too, was torn between the top two contenders and settled back in my chair to see if I could make myself impartial for a few minutes!

While Bill's box was unquestionably superbly detailed (with the inlay and so on), in the end I felt that Dick's box design better represented the Bailiegh company's "heart and soul" so he got my vote. I really liked all the other entries as well. Each displayed a lot of talent. It sure was a tough decision alright!

DickB
05-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks all for your interest and comments on the contest and my entry. Special thanks to those who voted. I didn't win, but had fun and stretched my skills a bit. The winning entry was amazing and certainly deserving. Still, I'm satisfied to have put forth a respectable entry and in the process I believe showed what a machine like our CarveWright is capable of doing. Also have several ideas on how the build could have been improved - saving those for the future.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of comments on the hinges that I got here, on the Sawmill Creek forum, and on YouTube. I'm seriously thinking of how to convert the project to one sans logo, and have a couple of ideas on that, so hopefully I can get that done and offer the project in the Pattern Depot. I also have another twist on the hinges that I'd like to try. But first of course there is the CarveWright contest to enter! Still entertaining ideas on what to enter for that while I am on the road.

bergerud
05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
It was a valiant attempt. The old school "furniture" box was really excellent craftsmanship. Wow, but not however, an "out of the box" type of project like yours. You had a strong second. Blew away everyone else. I cannot wait to see what you come up with for the CW contest!