PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for 1/16" cutting bit?

TurtleCove
04-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm hoping eBay auction 380610588622 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-60mm-0630-DIAMOND-CUT-CARBIDE-ROUTER-BURRS-SUPER-SALE-/380610588622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589e28afce)will work for me, cutting (not carving) out flat shapes in 3/16" thick cast acrylic.
What do the rest of you think?
Worth a shot?
I'd set my lines to cut at .1 per pass.

bergerud
04-04-2013, 10:16 PM
I would have some doubts about those burrs. I think they will plug up. Like I said before, chip clearance is a concern with sticky plastics. Let us know how it goes if you try them.

henry1
04-05-2013, 05:53 AM
I would have some doubts about those burrs. I think they will plug up. Like I said before, chip clearance is a concern with sticky plastics. Let us know how it goes if you try them.
Just ordered a set will let you know,, with the price how can you loose

bergerud
04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I think bits more like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-16-0625-2-FLUTE-CARBIDE-ENDMILLS-NEW-Kyocera-Tycom-/380605480944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589ddabff0

would be much better.

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I actually think both will work. The trick is to lock the feed rate into 1st gear... IF not, the machine will push the bit faster than the flutes can clear the chips... Remember Vector Cuts will cut in 2 speeds... 1st gear then a faster feed rate I call 2nd gear...

To do that, setup the project with the 1/16th inch bit then before cutting select all paths and select the 1/4 inch bull nose bit and cut WITH the 1/16th bit. It will only work for Vector Cuts without tabs as this is not a cut path with tabs. You must tape the inner pieces of Acrylic or they will fly out and stick to the rollers.

Good Luck,

AL

I have this set of bits from eBay but never used them.

The 1/16th bit I use is a 6 inch long version for a Rotary Engraver cut in half.

TurtleCove
04-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Al, why can't I do this as a cut path, with tabs?
Are you saying there's no way to do a cut path, with tabs, and stay in first gear? Is that the issue?

I understand you're suggesting we stay in first gear.

BTW, I'm amazed, that as fast as those bits spin, 2nd gear moves too fast to clear the cast acrylic chips...I find that remarkable.

bergerud
04-05-2013, 04:50 PM
With the cut out control, you do not get the choice to use the 1/4 inch bit and only the cut out gives the tabs. You do not get tabs when you assign the 1/4 inch bit to path. Bottom line: 1st gear - no tabs.

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I have been wishing for years that a selector be added to the Cut Path to lock the feed rate into 1st gear... "IF we Desier"...

IF you watch a Cut Path, corners are 1st gear then Full Speed Ahead... IN MY CASE.... I was doing the Full Depth 090 Fiber Reinforced Plastic and when assigned the 1/16th End Mill bit or Cutting Bit the machine would shift to 2nd gear and since I used Double Stick tape to hold the blanks.... IT would sometimes FORCE the Tag free of the tape... The TRICK as suggested by LHR to assign the 1/'4 inch bit BUT use the 1/16 has made the machine a work horse for ME.... I Could NOT get the Quality Edge on the Plastic with the 2 speed Feed Rate... I believe that a Firmware Change to add a FEED RATE Option would be used AS MUCH as the DEPTH OF CUT Multi Pass we use now...

I was seeing some QC Wobble too in the pictures...

IF we did not have the 1st gear lock.... The machine would be pretty much useless for cutting my tags....

A Firmware Change.... "2nd Gear Inhibit" would be WELCOME.... The machine already cuts in first gear.... then knows to SWITCH.... A "Inhibit" Switch in the Bit page would work...

AL

TurtleCove
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Al, those tags are being cut from Fiber Reinforced Plastic?
Where do you get that? That may work for my application....if I can get it close to 1/4" thick.