PDA

View Full Version : Finding Surface ??

Ropdoc
04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Hello All,

I have the "C" version machine. And I am using the Quick change adapter. Yesterday I was starting a new project. During initialization there is a point where the machine touches the board then the flip plate and board. My issue is that the bit does not touch the surface. And then when it starts carving it is to high and does not carve the wood. How do I fix this?

Thank you,
Dave

lynnfrwd
04-03-2013, 09:38 AM
The C machine has the CarveTight; not the Quick Change Chuck.

badbert
04-03-2013, 09:54 AM
The Z truck slowly lowers the bit down, while monitoring the amperage. When the Z truck hits resistance (touches the board or bit plate) the resistance causes an increase in amperage. So the likely problem is that there is some resistance to the downward movement. Check the Z belt for obstructions in the idler pulley. Check to make sure the bearings have not frozen. Check to make sure the bearings and or gear in the Z drive are not worn. With the machine unplugged, try to move the Z truck up and down (Remove bit or board) all the way through its travel. Listen and feel for pops grinds or growls. You also need to check the rails the z truck move up and down on. They can become dirty or worn.

Ropdoc
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
The C machine has the CarveTight; not the Quick Change Chuck. I mis-spoke. I use the adapter that allows me to use other brand cutters.

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

badbert
The Z truck slowly lowers the bit down, while monitoring the amperage. When the Z truck hits resistance (touches the board or bit plate) the resistance causes an increase in amperage. So the likely problem is that there is some resistance to the downward movement. Check the Z belt for obstructions in the idler pulley. Check to make sure the bearings have not frozen. Check to make sure the bearings and or gear in the Z drive are not worn. With the machine unplugged, try to move the Z truck up and down (Remove bit or board) all the way through its travel. Listen and feel for pops grinds or growls. You also need to check the rails the z truck move up and down on. They can become dirty or worn..

Thank you for the useful information. I will check this as you advised.

unitedcases
04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Just to elaborate on what I find useful, I usually check for z movement/restriction with power off. That way you can feel and hear anything that is possibly wrong. I have started a weekly practice of what I call, "on the spot lube". Every sunday I lay a white rag down on the belts to catch any lube and I lube all bearings to include the z and y tensioner knobs. I noticed that when I would pull the machine apart for a 200 hr that my bearings were almost done and I would spend a great deal of time trying to get them to spin freely again, if they ever spun freely at all. This is just something I developed that works very well for me. I do it usually on sunday because during the week I only get at most a couple of hours in the shop daily and usually by the end of the weekend it is pretty trashed. So sunday is the clean it all day.

ktjwilliams
04-04-2013, 07:28 AM
I had this happen to me a couple times, if the bit doesn't touch the flip plate on the 1st try, I simply put 2 fingers on top of the truck for the 2nd and give it a little help... After that sometimes it goes for a 3rd touch which I also help a little.... And just to be sure all is OK I help it out when it goes for a board surface check.. This don't happen often enough for me to have any concerns.. But after the machine starts to carve I do use compressed air just in case there's a little something in the belt, gear or on the rails or bearings... Sometimes folks over diagnose these machines and baby em to much... I have an ole A machine and still have all the original parts except for the spindle which I converted to an ER20 and belts, which I changed only once ...