PDA

View Full Version : Pepper mill

mercer57
04-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Not done on the CW, but i thought i would share, I turned it on the lathe for my wife's Birthday.

kcc2012
04-02-2013, 01:14 AM
That's a great looking present. I would love to learn to use a lathe. Wish your wife a happy birthday and May God Grant Her Many Years.

Bigtyme
04-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Really nice work on the lathe, Mercer. I am sure your bride will love it. Thank you for sharing it....

jmoriearty
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
That's awesome! I just finished making almost the same pepper mill, but mine was just from a piece of scrap walnut. Fantastic work! Just goes to show, you can give a wood turner a cnc machine, but he will still crave lathe time!

mercer57
04-02-2013, 06:45 PM
yeah scrap is what I used ,just glued up 4 pieces to make is contrast. I just ordered a bed Extension (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000063XIC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for my lathe so I can do longer turns, making a dragon cane first.

eelamb
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Very nice pepper mill, and it is true the lathe is still my first choice.

jmoriearty
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Awesome! I was actually about to do a few canes, never done any before. But, a guy that made them at the craftmall where I primarily sell my stuff just retired and he sold them like mad. His were mostly glue ups of purple heart and maple. They were gorgeous. I guess the learning curve will be with the handles for me. Never done one before. Time to browse hardware. LOL

BigFishy
05-06-2013, 12:27 AM
As a lathe owner who has wanted to turn pepper mills for a long time... Mind if I ask where you get the hardware from? Very nice work btw. Looks great!

mercer57
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I got it from woodcraft, they are on sale at the moment for 9.99

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2084904/38083/Antique-Hand-Crank-Pepper-Grinder-Kit-Mechanism.aspx

jmoriearty
05-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I use Wood N Whimseys. They are awesome people and sell fantastic products. Aside from carrying the full PSI line, they also carry their own stuff. Their bullet pen kits are the nicest I have seen and they sell FAST. They are a good business, mom and pop owned and run. They ship using prepaid post packages, so I get my products generally 3rd day, much better than PSI. I highly recommend checking them out. I sold over 200 of their bullet pen kits alone this year. Their customer service is fantastic too. When they have a common question about how to do something, they make a video to teach a technique.....such as how to do their laser cut blanks. My money always goes to them first.

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/psmisc.html

gregsolano
05-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Awesome! I was actually about to do a few canes, never done any before. But, a guy that made them at the craftmall where I primarily sell my stuff just retired and he sold them like mad. His were mostly glue ups of purple heart and maple. They were gorgeous. I guess the learning curve will be with the handles for me. Never done one before. Time to browse hardware. LOL

you can make the handles on the CW. There are some posts and even a pattern or two floating around the forum.