PDA

View Full Version : traction belts and z-motor gears

aokweld101
04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I know that I've had a lot of dumb question on the forum and had a lot of help, and I thank everyone that has been involved. I changed the sandpaper belts and the z-motor gears today, the reason being I had a bit break on me and tore the belt up and stripped the gears, well I did all the checks on the x,y,z and the cut motor all was good and did a small carve and it broke the 1/8 cutting bit again is there something else that I can check, My theory is maybe both bits where dull, at $40.00 a shot Its getting expensive. Any advice would be helpful . thanks

badbert
04-02-2013, 03:47 AM
We need a lot more info. Post the MPC and tell us where it was when it broke, please. And some pics of the project. You mention small "carve", and broken "Cutting" bit. Were you trying to carve with the cutting bit? If you were cutting out a carve, did you do multi-pass cuts or full depth cuts how thick is the wood or is it plastic? Which model and chuck do you have? How many hours? When you replaced the gear, did you check to make sure the bearings for the gear were still tight or does the gear "wobble"?

aokweld101
04-02-2013, 05:26 AM
I did the stringers for the bread crib and on both occasions... {did both carves with the stringers when the bit broke both times} the bit broke at about the same place on both carves it was, populer 1/2 material and cut out the 1/2 board in one pass I rewrote the program for 1/4 on the cutout for the carve and see if that will help..I'll try that this morning.. the machine is new and only has about 4 hrs. on it

bergerud
04-02-2013, 08:58 AM
I would be careful with cut paths until the next version 1.187 of Designer comes out. The cut path routine has been jerky for the last few releases. I am amazed that more bits have not been broken. Stick with the shallow, multi-pass method.

If you plan on doing a lot of cutting in the future, you may want to think about getting an ER adapter. With an ER adapter, you can use bits with a shorter length of cut (LOC). These 1/8" shank bits are stronger and a dime a dozen.

CNC Carver
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
bergerud have you received any of the ER collars from china for testing?

bergerud
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Not yet. Still waiting.

aokweld101
04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
what is the er adapter? I thought that is the one I have.. I'ts the one that takes a allen wrench.

bergerud
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
what is the er adapter? I thought that is the one I have.. I'ts the one that takes a allen wrench.

It is a small collet chuck which fits in the CT.

aokweld101
04-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I told a story on the time of the machine, it has 85 hrs on it my how time flys....

peep
11-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Duh!
Stripped a gear. OK so I took the spare I had for my A model, removed it from the metal and put it in place of the C model one. The metal holders are different. Cotter pin and all looked great. Carved one small board, only used the V90 bit for 20min. Came out OK. But now when I go to measure a board, it moves 1/4 inch stops and sound like the gear is gone again! What gives? Maybe the old A gears are different size? Have ordered 2 spares for my C machine but am afraid to install them when they get here. Any ideas. Note: I took the machine apart, dusted and lubed everything. Looks new.

bergerud
11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
The gears are the same. Examine the belt system for a cause of excessive drag. Roll the gears by hand to see how hard it is to move the belts.

Old Salt
11-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Be sure and ck your head presure is to high will cause to much drag.

Digitalwoodshop
11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
And you need to find the broken off gear teeth.... They or IT can snap a new gear...

Good Advice from 2007....

AL