PDA

View Full Version : Weaved Paper Towel & Napkin Holders - APRIL 2013 Project of the Month

mtylerfl
04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for APRIL 2013)...Weaved Paper Towel and Napkin Holders!
This month’s project is actually two projects for you to enjoy! The Paper Towel Holder and the coordinated Napkin Holder feature a classic lattice weave design theme and compliment each other nicely. The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The overall dimensions of the finished projects are about:

Weaved Napkin Holder
3½" D x 6¼" W x 6"T

Weaved Paper Towel Holder
6¾" D x 13½" W x 5¾"T

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Paper_Towel_Holder.mpc
• Napkin_Holder.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Paper Towel Holder: 0.75" x 11" x 21.5"
Napkin Holder: 0.75" x 11" x 19.5"

(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) One 1¼" dia. dowel x 11 7/8" long, eight #6 x 1" wood screws

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on both items made from Select Pine:

• One very light coat of thinned Bulls Eye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Traditional Cherry
• Several coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

NOTE: The Weaved Paper Towel and Napkin Holders match the design theme of the Wheat & Weave Bread Box and the Tea Box projects available online at the CarveWright Store (http://store.carvewright.com)

Smoken D
04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Just realized another month has gone by:D Time for another project! Another great one Michael!

lawrence
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
another great looking project- well done

Lawrence

rickyz
04-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Is the project up so I can re subscribe my pom subscription? would hate to double up...

aokweld101
04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
I have it downloaded and ready to start waiting on some bits its gonna be a nice project. I'm going to have everything the wife and I need for the kitchen. need pots and pans though... next project ...right.....lol:D

lynnfrwd
04-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Subscribe now and get this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chebytrk
08-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Hey Michael.... I noticed in the base stand of napkin holder a carve out is done (to set the sides in) with the cutting bit. What is this "carve out" term called? Also, do you know if there is a tutorial on this method? Maybe one by our Late Great "Ask Bud"? I just don't know what to search for. Thanks

mtylerfl
08-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Hey Michael.... I noticed in the base stand of napkin holder a carve out is done (to set the sides in) with the cutting bit. What is this "carve out" term called? Also, do you know if there is a tutorial on this method? Maybe one by our Late Great "Ask Bud"? I just don't know what to search for. Thanks

Hi Jerry,

Those slots are called pockets (or dados). The technique of creating a continuous vector for the cutting bit to create a pocket is described in the tutorial videos
http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/tips-tricks/pocketcuts

chebytrk
08-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Gracias Amigo!

chebytrk
08-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey Michael, Just clicked on the link below and it's no good. Is there another way to get to it?

Hi Jerry,

Those slots are called pockets (or dados). The technique of creating a continuous vector for the cutting bit to create a pocket is described in the tutorial videos
ISSUE 35-36 2011 – Pocket Cutting Tips – Part 1 and 2 (http://forum.carvewright.com/pocketcuts)

chebytrk
08-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Never mind....... found it. Thanks anyway..

mtylerfl
08-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Never mind....... found it. Thanks anyway..

Sorry 'bout that...for some reason the copy/paste of the original link did not carry over properly. I corrected it on the original post.