PDA

View Full Version : Board Thickness

fireguybl
03-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Got a piece of Black Walnut thats over 30 years old, want to do a carving of Last Supper in it. My question is since it's 1 1/2" thick will I be able to just carve it like normal? I only plan on going .800 on the depth.

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2013, 06:35 PM
The Board Sensor may not see it because it is too dark. You use masking tape on the board edges. And watch for Scaling due to a improper measurement due to the dark wood.

IF the wood is rough or tapered you may need to use a sled... I see this is your FIRST post.... WELCOME !!!!:-P
Be sure to read Tips and Tricks before you commit to this Valuable Wood...

AL

badbert
03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
What Al was dancing around saying is... WHOA!! Sounds like you are trying to run before learning to walk. Something I do before committing a piece of fine wood, is do a test carve. I always keep MDF around for test carves. Like he said, the wood must be flat and square to track properly. Or use a sled. But either way, do a test carve before you carve in that Black Walnut. Just my opinion of course.

fireguybl
03-31-2013, 10:25 PM
At first the edges where rough cut but I squared the edges on my table saw extremely smooth now, ran a straight edge over the top all the way down the board maybe a 1/32" low in one to two spots. I've been carving since January this year have done a lot of crosses, angels, a train, and the LS all in pine or popularand obechie. Got the walnut from a friend that would like the Last Supper done in another piece he going to bring me thats the same thickness.