PDA

View Full Version : cut motor brushes

scoobie_6
03-24-2013, 07:57 AM
where is the best place to get cut motor brushes?

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2013, 08:55 AM
LHR.

They are Metric.

And the Teather Length is Critical as if too long the SPRING will get to the Moving Commutator.

CB1 Carbon Brush 1.... The Price is a little higher now.

AL

aokweld101
03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
I was curious is there another place to get the brushes, is there a size on the bushes and or a part #, I was wanting to get them locally.

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2013, 05:52 PM
I could not find a US Source given the measurements I took in metric. The Rub here is that a new Motor is over $100.00. So a Poor Choice in getting the not so perfect brushes could end up costing you a motor... The Carbon Hardness Could be different and too soft will act like Granular Sand Paper and Quickly wear down the Copper Commutator and the EXCESS Carbon Granules could short something else out since carbon is conductive..... Remembering some school kids messing with a guy's Car by removing the Distributor Cap and scribbling a lead pencil lines inside the cap causing misfires as the Spark followed the lead lines.

Plus I mentioned that the brushes have a wire tether and one brush I found did have a LONGER Teather and I believe if you do a search here about 6 months ago someone posted finding the brushes at ACE. He Sanded them down to fit but wore quicker and the Spring got to the Commutator and HE reported having to buy a new motor.....

So order the items like a extra board sensor, X Gear, FSC Cable and save on shipping..... Not everyone can go out and buy lots of parts but make the machine pay for itself... Make some Signs and sell them....

Good Luck,

AL

badbert
03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
As far as that person goes, it is probably me. I got a great deal on carbon brushes from ebay. I filed them down to fit. At first I was very comfortable using them. The motor seemed to work fine. I checked them regularly during the first 40 or so hours. But they failed early. And they did in fact gouge the armature. I had the motor serviced. But the tech told me the armature had gone bad. I don't want to lead any one astray. Which came first, the chicken or the egg. The brushes may have gouged the armature. But did they fail because the armature was shorted... The electric motor repair place said he buys surplus brushes off Ebay and files them to fit. So use them at your own risk!!

aokweld101
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
thank you, I would think that one that repairs electric motors could find the brushes and save shipping cost the cost of brushes is 10.00 for shipping 12.00 the check and balances don't seem to balance out...

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Good Luck !!!

Update us on your progress.... I am sure many are interested and just not ready to jump "yet"....

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained....

When Ron Justice used his Skill to come up with the ROCK it was a Fantastic Day for US users... It did get a little interesting when someone else thought He had the Rights to that similar design and was talking the "L" word... Lawyers.... Glad that died out...

AL