PDA

View Full Version : Bit depth does not match?

Doogie
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I recently had done a carving, 2-sided, first side carved good. Second side the machine requested the 1/8" cutting bit. Then kept saying bit does not match or something along those lines. I read a few posts and alot of people take about the bit plate. When the bit does to the plate, it does go and touch it 2 times. I think my problem is on the left side of the machine. Before it goes to the bit plate it checks the depth on the left or front side first. I notice it does not go all the way down to where I think it is supposed to touch. Could this be a problem? I would guess a sensor, but which one?
Any help, much appreciated!!
Thanks

fwharris
03-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Probably the reason it was asking for the 1/8" bit is you have a cut out on the front side of your project.

When you got the bit message was it during the start up on the front side or when it was being called for to do the cut out?

What chuck are you using?

Digitalwoodshop
03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
You joined in 2009 and this is post #4... So my first thought is that there is a Hole Drilled into the LEFT SIDE Brass Roller Plate that the bit is expecting to touch.... A credit card piece of plastic and glue will fix the hole.... The hole is made as the Cut Motor Brushes wear and the Cut Motor is still spinning after bit change spin up and drills a hole.... Cut Motor Brushes should be changed at 250 Cut Hours but will last until over 300... On my Worn Motors I open the cover to stop the machine AFTER Bit Change Spin Up and wait until it stops. Then let it do the left side bob down to the left side.

Second is that you thought the head did not go down correct on the left.... Cleaning the Z Rails and Bearings is in order.... Especially that No Mans Land between the Upper and Lower Z Bearing.... Put the head up then down, that area that is never exposed.... No Mans Land..... You need to Scrub the rails between the bearings... The Speed Bumps give the Computer false information.

But Bit Length is usually always a Bit Plate Issue..... Did you just install a ROCK? With the ROCK you must CHOKE UP on the 1/8 th inch bit to MATCH the length of a CT Bit OR the Machine throws a FIT.... As in you must match up the length to WHAT is programmed into Designer for the CT.... Usually only happens with the 1/8th bit.

Check the Z Belt and Cogs for dust too.

Again, this is all just GUESSING.....

AL

And lastly... 2 Touches to the Bit Plate Normal... 3 Touches WARNING somethng not right....