PDA

View Full Version : dremel sanding buffs

lynchburgbull
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Dremel 511E & 512E EZ Lock Coarse Grit and Medium Grit and fine Finishing Abrasive Buffs,
they do not last at all. I used them up ( all 4 of them ) in a matter of 10 minutes sanding black willow. I wont buy them again. you have to use extreme light pressure when using them, if you use heavy pressure they will burn up in a matter of 60 seconds, and they just dont sand well. At least not well enough for me.

Greg

ridgecrest
03-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Greg,

I recently had the same experience. I am going to try their detail abrasive brushes next. Here is the link:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=2083&catname=Detail+Abrasive+Brush

I'll let you know how they work.

Reid

dcalvin4
03-20-2013, 11:15 PM
i cut my own using one of my wifes scouring green or brown pads from the kitchen sink i think they are scotch brand
i cut round and attach them on the dremel cut off you know the one that normally has the cut off disk and the tiny little screw on the end
denny

DickB
03-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Someone else posted about the Scotchbrite pads. I use them like you do except I don't bother to cut them round, just small squares. They do get used up fast, and also can discolor the wood, particularly the green. They are useful for removing fuzzies in detail but not sanding.

Alan Malmstrom
03-21-2013, 08:19 AM
I cut the Drywall Sanding screens http://www.amazon.com/3M-9089NA-Drywall-Sanding-Fine-Grit/dp/B00004Z4AI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1363871703&sr=8-9&keywords=drywall+sander and cut them into squares and put them on a dremel mandrel. They work great. They will work themselves into a circle while you use them.

chkorte
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
I like the 1 1/2” sanding mops I get from Stockroom Supply. They do eventually wear out but I feel that they hold up reasonably good. If you decide to try them, before you put them in the chuck set them on a steel surface and give the center a good smack with a hammer to make sure the mandrel is set tight.
http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/sanding-mops/mini-mop-4.html

cestout
03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
mini mops from RJR Studio - inventor of the original mops and the Sand Flee, are now sold thru sears. Google RJR Studio and you will end up at Sears. At least that is what happened last time I bought a batch. I like their mops the best also - get the 6" double ones. My Sand Flee is the original from many years ago.

Ton80
03-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I cut the Drywall Sanding screens http://www.amazon.com/3M-9089NA-Drywall-Sanding-Fine-Grit/dp/B00004Z4AI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1363871703&sr=8-9&keywords=drywall+sander and cut them into squares and put them on a dremel mandrel. They work great. They will work themselves into a circle while you use them.

Hell of a good tip here and much cheaper than buying the 3M Radial discs. Anyone using the dremel ones Gould consider the 3M as try outperform and don't cost as much. I think my local HD sells the dremel disc for a little over $8 Each which is a joke. The 3M radial discs can be found for around $1each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton80
03-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Not for nothing but the iPhones auto spell really stinks. Typos in that last message are the iPhone changing what I said. Damn you Apple. Always thinking you know better than the user ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Underdog
03-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I posted a question about sanding over on the Sawmill Creek CNC Forums a couple weeks ago. Got some pretty good answers. You might want to take a peek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200295-How-do-you-sand-your-CNC-carvings

If posting links to other forums violates TOS, please remove the link.

One of the answers involved making your own mops out of cloth back sandpaper creating about 4-6 layers on a mandrel. I did a similar thing with sticky backed paper disks, but they pop off the mandrel pretty quickly unless you have a light touch. I think I'll be recycling some from our widebelt sander throwaways at work. There are several outlets which sell these mops. I'd be inclined to use something from 3M or Klingspor rather than the light duty Dremel stuff.

Rick P
08-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Greg,

I recently had the same experience. I am going to try their detail abrasive brushes next. Here is the link:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=2083&catname=Detail+Abrasive+Brush

I'll let you know how they work.

Reid

to Greg:
I was the inventor of these little bristle brushes...for the 3M Company...Dremel buys them from 3M...they have a learning curve and you want to run them a slow as possible to do the job you want done. They were designed for the jewelry industry. They come in a 3/4", 1", 2" and 3" diameter. They are available through Rio Grande too and you can make your own brush. http://www.riogrande.com/Search/bristle-brushes ... many pages of brushes.

lynchburgbull
09-07-2013, 06:25 PM
those look good for large areas but I do a lot of small detail things64492 Im not sure it would get int the crevasses with out sanding down the detail

Rick P
09-09-2013, 09:09 PM
The 3M Radial Bristle Discs come in a 3/4 inch diameter and a 120 grit...you can but them as separate discs and stack 5 or 6 together, which makes a nice, small detail brush for a Dremel tool. Run the brush fairly slow...5000 to 10,000 rpm.
Rio Grande sells the discs...I think Dremel only sells a brush they make with the 3M Radial Bristle Discs.

dehrlich
09-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Otto Frei is the cheapest place I have found to get these. The offer quantity discounts, and you get a free mandrel with every bulk pack. They have all the sizes and grits, and ship very fast.

Rick P
09-16-2013, 01:11 AM
dehrlich - When I worked at 3M Otto Frei was one of our better distributors...excellent info !! I will check out D&M Woodworks...:-)

Underdog
09-17-2013, 02:30 PM
I just bought some of the 3M bristle brushes (3/4" and 1") , and found them to be pretty good. I bought them from McMaster-Carr along with the mandrels, and they're a lot more affordable. If you run them at low speed they tend to last.

I'm only using them one at a time instead of stacking them up though.

I suppose I should have stacked them up to prevent grooving in my background.... They're not very aggressive on Spanish Cedar, until you don't want them to be.

chebytrk
09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Are they cheaper with McMaster-Carr than with Otto Frei? By chance do you have the link you ordered them from?

I just bought some of the 3M bristle brushes (3/4" and 1") , and found them to be pretty good. I bought them from McMaster-Carr along with the mandrels, and they're a lot more affordable. If you run them at low speed they tend to last.

I suppose I should have stacked them up to prevent grooving in my background.... They're not very aggressive on Spanish Cedar, until you don't want them to be.

Proctorw
09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Based on rcadges advice, I ordered from Otto Frei. I received them last night and I tried them out. The work well. Pretty inexpensive around 1.10 each bristle. I did find the faster you spin them, the faster they wear out. I put two together. They did a good job.

rcdages
09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Proctorw,

Pleased to hear that you are happy with the bristles from Otto Frei.

I would not want to be with out them.

Rick P
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I would suggest stacking 3 discs as a minimum for about 99% of the time...4 to 6 is best. I would use only one disc for very delicate sanding of a very finely detailed spot at slow speed. These discs were designed to be used on soft metals in the jewelry business, but have found a home in woodworking. They have a learning curve, but once you get the hang of them, they work very well.(says the proud papa)

Rick P
09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
I always suggest 3 discs stacked as a minimum...4 to 6 is best...and run at a slow speed. I was the inventor of these discs at 3M. I hope they work well for you.

Based on rcadges advice, I ordered from Otto Frei. I received them last night and I tried them out. The work well. Pretty inexpensive around 1.10 each bristle. I did find the faster you spin them, the faster they wear out. I put two together. They did a good job.

Rick P
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
As the inventor of these discs, I appreciate your kind words. I'm glad they found a second home in woodworking.

Proctorw,

Pleased to hear that you are happy with the bristles from Otto Frei.

I would not want to be with out them.

chebytrk
09-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Hey Rick.... thanks for that great invention. I sure see a big difference by running the dremel at a low speed. Really really extends the life of the bristles. Sure wish I would have known this about $200 (over several years) ago. LOL I usually use 3, but when I get my order in, think I'll try 5 or 6 stacked to see how that works out. Seems like I remember someone saying to even reverse direction with one of the disks in the stack. Does that make sense? Again... Thanks for the invention. Hope you're still getting royalties! :D

CNC Carver
09-18-2013, 10:47 AM
to Greg:
I was the inventor of these little bristle brushes...for the 3M Company...Dremel buys them from 3M...they have a learning curve and you want to run them a slow as possible to do the job you want done. They were designed for the jewelry industry. They come in a 3/4", 1", 2" and 3" diameter. They are available through Rio Grande too and you can make your own brush. http://www.riogrande.com/Search/bristle-brushes ... many pages of brushes.

Rick got any suggestions on how to make these little things ourselfs?

Rick P
09-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Sadly no royalties from my invention...3M did eliminate my job and forced me to retire early, so there's that...running one disc in reverse is one method I have not heard of...it's generally a bad idea.

Hey Rick.... thanks for that great invention. I sure see a big difference by running the dremel at a low speed. Really really extends the life of the bristles. Sure wish I would have known this about $200 (over several years) ago. LOL I usually use 3, but when I get my order in, think I'll try 5 or 6 stacked to see how that works out. Seems like I remember someone saying to even reverse direction with one of the disks in the stack. Does that make sense? Again... Thanks for the invention. Hope you're still getting royalties! :D

Proctorw
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I always suggest 3 discs stacked as a minimum...4 to 6 is best...and run at a slow speed. I was the inventor of these discs at 3M. I hope they work well for you.

Thanks for the advice. I put these on the "Spindle" that I had for my dremel. Should I order one from otto that would accommodate more, or do you just wedge them in there?

Thanks,

Wayne

rcdages
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Yes, Rick,

A big thank you for the invention.

Rbacak
04-07-2014, 10:16 PM
What would be the most popular size and grit of the radial bristle brushes that everybody uses?

mtylerfl
04-08-2014, 08:03 AM
I use 80-grit (yellow in color) almost exclusively now. I used to use 220-grit frequently as well, but once you develop "the feel" for using the 3M radial discs, you won't need an assortment of grit - just vary the pressure and dwell-time to control the sanding process with the coarser grit. I also find using the yellow discs makes them last longer than finer grits because it gets the job done much quicker.

If you want to be "cautious" as you develop the feel for these, I suggest learning on yellow (80), white (150) and red (220) discs. Order a greater quantity of the 80-grit because I think you'll find in a very short period of time you won't be using the finer grits much anymore, if at all.

Also, don't bother with anything finer than the 220-grit...finer grits will "burnish" the wood instead of sanding it. This results in an uneven absorption of wood stain during finishing.

Rbacak
04-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I was leaning toward the 80 and 150 grits. Thanks for the info! Has anybody tried any of these?
http://www.3m.com/product/images/Bristle-Discs-300.jpg

mtylerfl
04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I was leaning toward the 80 and 150 grits. Thanks for the info! Has anybody tried any of these?
http://www.3m.com/product/images/Bristle-Discs-300.jpg

I've never seen those before. Very interesting. Buy some and tell us how you like them! :D

unitedcases
04-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Kind of a cross between a sanding mop and the dremel disc's. What are they called?

Rbacak
04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
3M Roloc Bristle Brush. You need a Roloc R type mandrel to mount them. I already use Roloc sanding pads and it literally take 2 seconds to change one out. I'm thinking I might give these a try.

unitedcases
04-10-2014, 11:08 AM
3M Roloc Bristle Brush. You need a Roloc R type mandrel to mount them. I already use Roloc sanding pads and it literally take 2 seconds to change one out. I'm thinking I might give these a try.

Please let us know how they do. They look like they would do very well indeed.