PDA

View Full Version : Can you do all repairs yourself on the Carvewright?

Rob Mulgrew
03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
I was wondering if there is anything that could break on the CW that you could not fix yourself? Is there anything that you would have to ship the machine back to LHR to fix?
I only ask because I have got so many orders recently that depend on this machine being up and running. I am wondering if its better to have a second machine or just stock up on parts and fix it yourself? A 2nd machine is a huge expense for us right now and if I could do without it, then I would. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Rob

fwharris
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
If your a Mr. Fix it kind of person there is very little that you should not be able to fix/repair/change out your self. All/most of the procedures are posted on the main CW site for doing so. You just need to have all of the right spare parts on hand to do so..

Rob Mulgrew
03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I thought I would be able to replace anything myself but I did read the manual and one of things that caught my eye was about the timing belts. They dont look that complicated to change but the manual says:"Belt replacement: The toothed belts used for various motion functions
are expected to last the life of the machine. If they are damaged, they
will require replacement at a CarveWright service center."
So I began thinking what else is there that I would not be able to fix myself. Which is why I posted the question. Thanks

If your a Mr. Fix it kind of person there is very little that you should not be able to fix/repair/change out your self. All/most of the procedures are posted on the main CW site for doing so. You just need to have all of the right spare parts on hand to do so..

TerryT
03-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I just replaced one a couple of months ago. I'm not sure what the lifetime of the machine is but the belt was about 6 years old at the time. The machine has well over 1000 hours on it. Its about a 15 minute job. Easy Peasy as Tommy Mac would say.

Rob Mulgrew
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Thats great to hear. So what I gather so far is that, everything can be fixed right here in my shop as long as you are mechanically inclined. Thanks for the feedback.

I just replaced one a couple of months ago. I'm not sure what the lifetime of the machine is but the belt was about 6 years old at the time. The machine has well over 1000 hours on it. Its about a 15 minute job. Easy Peasy as Tommy Mac would say.

fwharris
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Just remember that if your machine is still under warranty you should give CarveWright a call before doing any work. Some times the parts are replaceable under your warranty.

JoeinWestMich
03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Where can you go to find an authorized Carvewright service center if you run into a more complex problem while the Carvewright is still under warranty?

mtylerfl
03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Where can you go to find an authorized Carvewright service center if you run into a more complex problem while the Carvewright is still under warranty?

You would ship the machine directly to CarveWright headquarters in Pasadena, TX if it ever became necessary.

I think most people can handle just about any mechanical repairs and/or parts replacement, though. The machine is pretty simple in its physical layout/design. The only things I personally would not try is any in-depth electronic troubleshooting that could require test equipment I do not own, nor have knowledge of.

However, a call to a CarveWright Tech can often yield a diagnosis by phone and a replacement electronic component could be sent to you and replaced via DYI without much trouble.

Rob Mulgrew
03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Very good point. I did purchase the extended warranty but I am quickly going to blow past that. I probably should just get replacement parts on hand. I will be doing my 250 hr maintanance in the next few weeks so I will be ordering some parts. Is there any parts that you keep on hand all the time in addition to 250hr maintanance parts that I will be ordering?

Just remember that if your machine is still under warranty you should give CarveWright a call before doing any work. Some times the parts are replaceable under your warranty.

fwharris
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
I always try to have a set of Z and Y truck bearings, FSC cable, board sensor, Y gear box gear and bearings, X drive gears, Y and Z belts and a set of motor brushes on hand.

Rob Mulgrew
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Thats great information that will save alot of time. I appreciate the feedback!
Rob

cestout
03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
If you have volume, a second machine can help you do it faster, eliminate down time, and if needed you can swap parts between machines to trouble shoot. (is the cut motor bad or is the problem the wiring?)

aokweld101
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
the best tool I have to work on this machine is a #2 magnetic phillips screwdriver it saves from you saying ....where did it go!!!!!!!