PDA

View Full Version : First Big project - OOPS

Proctorw
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
I downloaded the Last Supper project. I thought I resized everything properly, well, it didn't work. I have posted a picture. I was excited watching the carving. but near the end of a 3 1/2 hour carve, I realized the "Routing" was incorrect. It thought it was a different size. I stopped before it cut. What should I have looked for with regards to the project. I have posted a picture of the final work and the MPC file. Any advice would be appreciated espsecially around resizing to fit a board that I have available. I am not too upset as I used Oak and knew ahead of time it wasn't the right type of wood. Thanks!

bergerud
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
It looks like the board stopped moving for the last two inches of the carve. Then the board went back too far for the cut out. Either the board slipped or you have a tooth missing on an x gear. The mpc looks fine to me.

Proctorw
03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
It is a brand new Machine. Have to try it again. Looking at the MPC Is there a way to identify the cut path? or a Route Path?

bergerud
03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Under view - toolbars - check carving list. In the caring list, there are icons beside the objects which indicate the operations.

fwharris
03-15-2013, 08:06 PM
To help board tracking run a strip of masking tape on the bottom edge of the board that goes over the brass wheel.

One thing I did notice in your mpc is your carving depth is at .650. That is hogging our a lot of wood and leaving you a very thin backing and possible warping. Try looking at it around .350. It might even shorten your carve time.

lawrence
03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
One more thing- is the board perfectly flat/square and did you use masking tape on the bottom? I'm curious if the piece may not have had good contact with the roller the whole way

Oak can also move (a lot) when you remove wood from one side only. There can be a lot of compression trapped in the wood that gets released and this could have caused the wood to bow dramatically as it got routed. I'm just thinking out loud here, certainly not saying that's definitely the problem.

Lawrence

Proctorw
03-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks. I didn't know to check board depth. After digging into the mpc, I found that there were 3 overlays (for lack of a better term). A cutting one, the one with the Disciples and the one with some edges. I had shrunk the original down by about 2 inches. I just made the corrections, shrunk it more (to fit some wood I had) and I am cutting it now. I wish I would have checked the carving depth, oh well, I am a newbie, didn't know what to check. I have to figure out how to show the "Overlays". Not sure what you call them. I could take a screen shot and show you what I am talking about. It looks like one is for cutting, one is for routing and the other is the "Picture".

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
I always try to design my projects using a longer physical board so the board always stays under the rollers and STABLE. Once the board pops out from one roller bad things can happed like the board loosing contact with the brass roller... That is always a BAD THING... Check out Tips and Tricks for more tips.

Proctorw
03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
I just finished my second one. Came out perfect. As I described earlier, it wasn't the board or the rollers, but rather me resizing the project. This was a Last Supper project I picked up off of this forum. When I resized it, the routing/cutting frame didn't resize. I played around with it before I did this one, much smaller and it came out fine. There must be some type of Layer view or something to check. Anyway, I figured it out.

Thanks for all the input.

bergerud
03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Are you are you saying that you changed that mpc before carving it and that those changes caused the problems? If so, ok (but no fair!). If, on the other hand, the mpc you posted was the one you carved to get the result in the picture, then you are not out of the woods yet!

fwharris
03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks. I didn't know to check board depth. After digging into the mpc, I found that there were 3 overlays (for lack of a better term). A cutting one, the one with the Disciples and the one with some edges. I had shrunk the original down by about 2 inches. I just made the corrections, shrunk it more (to fit some wood I had) and I am cutting it now. I wish I would have checked the carving depth, oh well, I am a newbie, didn't know what to check. I have to figure out how to show the "Overlays". Not sure what you call them. I could take a screen shot and show you what I am talking about. It looks like one is for cutting, one is for routing and the other is the "Picture".

YES A SCREEN SHOT PLEASE!! Make sure you have the "carving list" open to..

Proctorw
03-16-2013, 09:50 AM
I did change the project (Scaled it down) prior to uploading to my Carvewright. The MPC I posted didn't have the changes. After opening the carving list, I saw the path clicked on it and saw why my drawing messed up in the first place. The cutting path didn't scale properly. Thanks for the comments. I didn't know how to view the cutting path. Only 4 days and I have learned quite a bit. Thanks to everyone who has left comments for me. One last question. Since Easter is around the corner, I was thinking of making a few of the Last Supper's. Any issues with laying a couple out on a board to reduce waste?

Thanks!

DickB
03-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I think the main issue is that if you do have a failure such as a tracking error, it can multiply your scrap if you're not watching closely. And long boards require extra support rollers. Sooner or later, you'll likely build a sled or two to reduce waste. Why not do that sooner? I suggest that you study the CarveWright Tips and Tricks Issue 7 April 2008 Carving Jigs – Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails.

DickB
03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
To scale this project properly, first remove the centering constraints on the picture frame. (In general, all constraints in selected items to scale as a group need to be removed.) Then select all of the items in the carving list. Notice the yellow triangles that show up at the corners and midpoints of the sides. Point to one of the corners, click and drag to the desired size.

You can also select all of the items then click the Group button to make a Group of these items. Then, select only the Group name in the carving list, and not any items in the group.

Proctorw
03-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Sled is next on my list, after a "Special" Carvewright carving table.

Proctorw
03-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks. This is similar to Visio, but many many differences. One quick question. Where is there a tutorial on setting up a routing or cutting path? I noticed the Last Supper had both a Routing Step (On the Machine display) and then a cutting path. I have not found how to do this from scratch. Specifically how they outlined the Picture frame since it wasn't straight lines.

DickB
03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
There are many ways to set up cutting paths. In this case, select the picture frame pattern, then click Tools - Outline Pattern(s). You can also use the various drawing tools to create a closed path, then use as a cutout.

mtylerfl
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Where is there a tutorial on setting up a routing or cutting path? I noticed the Last Supper had both a Routing Step (On the Machine display) and then a cutting path. I have not found how to do this from scratch. Specifically how they outlined the Picture frame since it wasn't straight lines.

There is a pretty good description of the Cut Path Tool in the following Tips & Tricks I wrote a few years ago:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Sept08.pdf

bjbethke
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks. This is similar to Visio, but many many differences. One quick question. Where is there a tutorial on setting up a routing or cutting path? I noticed the Last Supper had both a Routing Step (On the Machine display) and then a cutting path. I have not found how to do this from scratch. Specifically how they outlined the Picture frame since it wasn't straight lines.

Hi, that last supper pattern was posted on;
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19565-Last-Supper-pattern&highlight=Supper (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19565-Last-Supper-pattern&highlight=Supper) Post 12 & 14

I don’t know if there is a tutorial to show how to make a cutpath for a MPC pattern of a project that you did not make, but I will try to explane how I did this one.

I first set up the carving to make it a “Pierced” carving in the CW Designer and and made a screen print of the “Rear View” –I made that image all black.

Then in the CW Pattern Editor I made a pattern of that image. (it is upside down). I then overlade this PTN and adusted it to cover the Lord Supper MPC and used that as the cut path.

If they were all patterns I made I would then generate a new pattern. That is why you had a hard time adjusting that MPC.

Proctorw
03-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all of the assistance. I have learned quite a bit just getting this project completed.