PDA

View Full Version : Question about carving bits

jmoriearty
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I know this is going to sound odd, but when I received my machine, it came with a very wide assortment of bits. All of the bits are fairly easy to recognize, I use the same bits for work without using the machine. There is one odd thing that threw me for a bit of a loop though. I received what appears to be two 1/16 carving bits. They are identical in every way except one, they have a different number of cutting threads. One has three thread wraps from top to bottom and the other has six thread wraps, twice the number of cutting edges. Does anyone know what the double thread bit is for? Perhaps for finer cutting on optimum setting?

fwharris
03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
If you can post a picture we might have a better idea...

bergerud
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
I have never seen a 6 flute carving bit. Please do post a picture.

LoafersCorner
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
That is interesting because I have the same thing, I order what came with the machine and plus I ordered a 1/16 carving bit and I really can't tell the difference.

jmoriearty
03-14-2013, 02:28 PM
If you can post a picture we might have a better idea...

Here is a picture of both bits.

bergerud
03-14-2013, 02:41 PM
That is not 6 flutes. The helix angle is just different. I believe that all carving bits bought from LHR have three flutes. I have never seen different. I have wondered myself about the differences in the helix angle. The one on the left would pull itself into the work and would be dangerous in plastic. I like the one on the right.

jmoriearty
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I just said it was 6 wraps around the shaft and not 3 like a normal carving bit. I would love to know the difference, I haven't even used the one on the left.

rcdages
03-14-2013, 03:17 PM
The last carving bits that I got from LHR a couple of week ago look like the one on the left.

mtylerfl
03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I recall Connie mentioning they have a different supplier - hence the slightly different configuration, I suppose.

rcdages
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Your right I believe about the supplier Michael.
It seems to carve ok, if not finer.

jmoriearty
03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Your right I believe about the supplier Michael.
It seems to carve ok, if not finer.

Thank you sir! That's good news. I'll try a carve with it in a bit and check it out!

lynnfrwd
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
I recall Connie mentioning they have a different supplier - hence the slightly different configuration, I suppose.

Yep. One came with machine; one from different vendor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmoriearty
03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Well, last night and today I played around with the new bit, the one on the left. It cut fantastically, very smooth. I was worried about harder materials, so I tried a simple run on some hickory. It cut like a champ and with perhaps less "fuzzies" than I normally get on hickory. I would say it's a winner, but not enough of a difference to cause me to prefer one over the other.

badbert
03-15-2013, 09:36 PM
I received an old 1/16 carving bit with the demo model I bought. It has less spirals and looks like your old one. I think it does acrylic better. Less line in the carving.