PDA

View Full Version : Raised Circle

Proctorw
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Newbie here. My 3rd day of playing with this amazing machine. I hope this is really simple. I was designing a cross as shown and wanted to add a circle around it. I want both the cross and circle to be raised at the same height. Every time I invert the circle it hides the inside of the cross. I drew 2 circles, 1 bigger, 1 smaller and wanted that to be raised. You can see the lines in the first picture. Not sure how to cut out the area between the 2 circles. If I could figure that out, I am sure that would solve my problem. What am I doing wrong?

henry1
03-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Put your MPC on here will check it out

Proctorw
03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I appreciate the help!

mtylerfl
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Here ya go...

(I THINK this is what you needed)

Proctorw
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks! What did you do to get the circle to show like that without losing the interior of the cross?

mtylerfl
03-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks! What did you do to get the circle to show like that without losing the interior of the cross?

Open your Carving List (as seen in my screenshot on the left). That will show you how I grouped the cross components and the circle components in their own sections. Also, notice how I used the Subtractive Merge on one of the circles which I had turned into a Carve Region and used the Invert (the "I" icon). This is one way of accomplishing this...I am pretty sure there are at least one or two other ways as well...but as soon as I did this, I stopped since it wasn't necessary. (one more thing you will see..BOTH circles are Carve Regions...one is the same depth as the rectangle...the other is a ZERO depth)

Proctorw
03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Very Cool. After 3 days with this product, I am pretty impressed. The groupings and merge was something I wasn't quite sure of the purpose. Wasn't explained in the software manual. Thanks so much for your help!!!

mtylerfl
03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Very Cool. After 3 days with this product, I am pretty impressed. The groupings and merge was something I wasn't quite sure of the purpose. Wasn't explained in the software manual. Thanks so much for your help!!!

My pleasure.

Proctorw
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
This cross is our Church's logo. So now that I can carve a Plaque with the Cross on it, I went to cut some physical crosses out. I want the Circle to be the connector to all of the pieces. I pierced the frame and I have the cross outside of the circle the way I want it. What is the best way to get the inside pieces removed? Just ideas, I don't mind doing the work as I am trying to learn. the inside pieces would be the interior cross and the 4 arc type triangles. Any ideas? I have loaded the thumbnail and the project. Thanks!!

bergerud
03-17-2013, 05:02 PM
That seems like it should be a cut out operation not a carving operation. Think about drawing the holes and cutting them out with the 1/8 cutting bit. You can use outline pattern(s) to get an outside path to cut.

Proctorw
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM
When I try to outline part of the cross, say the right top half, the outline appears through the circle as if I would cut the circle. Is there way to modify the outline? Or do I need to replicate each section with a manual cut path?

bergerud
03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
I think if you select the cross parts and the circles (everything except the rectangle) , the outline will outline just the outside of everything. It will not get the holes inside.

Proctorw
03-17-2013, 07:25 PM
That worked thanks. I would also like to cut the inside Triangles and cross without cutting through the circle. The finished product should be the circle holding all of the parts together with the 4 inside triangles and smaller cross cut out. The cutting path would need to be completed by outlining each triangle with the line tool?

bergerud
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
I think you will have to draw the holes as new closed curves. In the cut out dialog box, make sure you set the max cut depth to around 1/4 inch. It will make a few passes but it is easier on the machine.

Proctorw
03-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks! `