PDA

View Full Version : Damascus Steel Knife

want2b
03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Friend showed me this Damascus steel knife he had bought without handles. He had a couple of blanks of Mexican Cocobolo wood he needed to shape and
wanted to use my scroll saw to cut them out. I thought it was a perfect fit for the carver and offered to give it a shot.
Scanned the handle area, cleaned up the result and made a Ptn. Since the wood blanks were only 1 1/2 by 5 each I modified the Ptn to fit the dimensions
and had to adjust how it placed to fit the blanks.
Long story, multiple test runs, here's the result, after adding the fleur-de-lis. Not finished, that's going to be his job. Everybody who's seen it is amazed what
the carver could accomplish.
Rick H.

TerryT
03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Very nice! The handles look great, I have never seen a damascus knife blade before. The markings must be from the folding of the steel?

henry1
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Those are nice I havent never seen one

want2b
03-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Not 100% certain but my understanding is the blade is heated to a certain temperature and then carefully placement of small drops of oil creates the patterns
caused by the minute cooling.
Rick H

b.sumner47
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Very, Very Nice. The old damascus barrels were rounded steel wire. I wonder if it done the same way ?

Capt Barry

James RS
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
I saw these made on the How they do that channel, they used steel braided cable.
Heated and pounded on and reheated and repeat. My old shop teacher used make knives in shop class

badbert
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Regardless of my ignorance, about the metal, that is one beautiful blade! And you really did a nice job on the handles!

James RS
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
badbert,
i didn't mean to offend you, I apologize if I did. I love knives and the craftmanship

Regardless of my ignorance, about the metal, that is one beautiful blade! And you really did a nice job on the handles!

badbert
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
badbert,
i didn't mean to offend you, I apologize if I did. I love knives and the craftmanship

Not in the least!! I was just stating that I am not familiar with this steel. However I did do some research on google and the Wiki-pedia says that the original methods were lost long ago, there have been many ways developed to Mimic the steel.

Chay
03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
The different types of carbon steel are heated, folded,forged,folded,forged many times over. Different paterns can be developed,depending on the steel and the way it is folded.You can make one with braided wire.
I think it is a real art form.

James RS
03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Ok great! I just love knives swords etc and this piece of work created here is awesome!

Not in the least!! I was just stating that I am not familiar with this steel. However I did do some research on google and the Wiki-pedia says that the original methods were lost long ago, there have been many ways developed to Mimic the steel.

kcc2012
05-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Those handles look great.

liquidguitars
05-07-2013, 12:44 PM
What Chay said.