PDA

View Full Version : Carves Great, but cut motor fails to start on cut-out! Help

rcbj34
03-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Help! My carver is a model C and has just over 50 hours on it. I have done all maintence and always clean it good. It carves great, but when it comes to the cut-out after I put the cutting bit in, the cut motor never starts, but it sits the bit down on the board and starts scrolling the board, resulting in a broken bit(1 so far). I thought it was something I was doing wrong in my project design, but projects that I have bought and I have used that worked fine, now do the same as my projects. It only fails on the cut-out, it carves great! I have ran the cut motor test many times and it works great. Any ideas??? Thanks, Ray :???:

chief2007
03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
First check the cut motor safety switch. The tab on the clear cover may not be making contact with the switch preventing the circuit to close and the cut motor from turning on

bergerud
03-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I is either a hardware coincidence (as Chief suggests with the right cover switch) or is is software. Reformatting and reflashing the card is worth a try.

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Make up some small projects with a very small carve region something that will cut on 30 seconds.. Just for testing... Then make a Cut Path, a simple Circle converted to a Cut Path... run the Project and when it is time to do the Cut Path, install the bit and let the machine do it's thing but before cutting and just before it starts the Cut Path stop the machine and remove the bit.... This lets you troubleshoot the problem without snapping a $40.00 + bit.

Right Side Switch Screws Loose
Clear cover hinge screws loose
Wires for right side cover switch, crimp connectors loose
X Termination board Cut Motor Power Wires loose on board.
A Memory Card Problem, format card and start over.

AL

rcbj34
03-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks Chief, but switch is working properly....... It's got me puzzled.

rcbj34
03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks bergerud, checked switch and formatted and flashed the card, but same problem...

rcbj34
03-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Al, I have found that if I push the stop button before the non-moving bit touches the wood and wait for a couple minutes that I can just push the enter button to continue it works just fine till the next bit change or project. Also my flex cable had a melt down. It had less than 60 hours on it and had been relube due to just setting for almost 2 years. My new flex cable has been getting a bit warm, just over 100 degrees before I shut it down. What is the normal operating temp for it? Thanks so much for your help, Ray

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Brushes sticking in the cut motor brush holders comes to mind...

And more than likely... A bad X Termination Board... There are some Opto Couplers on the X Termination Board that convert the computer signals to a LED Light inside a 6 pin Opto Coupler. The output is a Photo Coupler that converts the light of the LED to a ON for the Transistor Switch of the Opto Coupler. This Isolates the Computer from the next stage, the Q1 Transistor that is the On Off Switch for the Cut Motor. The Opto Coupler protects the Computer in the event that the 115 Volts AC sneaks into the Control Wires.... IF it does, it blows the Opto Coupler protecting the Computer... SO with a Opto Coupler.... This could be the problem...

ALSO early in 2008 we saw MANY of the C1 Capacitors from Snapping OFF of the X Termination Boards and it caused problems like when you thumped on the top of the machine, the C1 bouncing around.

Being a "C".... Could be a bad right switch or a bad X Termination Board OR sticky brushes.

AL