PDA

View Full Version : need help with older A machine tracking roller error

scoobie_6
03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi i Have 2 machines one is a ver C and the other ver A i have replaced the belts and the board sencor and the gears on my A machine and now i am replacing the keypad ribbon cable too. but i keep getting a tracking roller error and i have done everything that carvewright says to do in their troubleshooting guide. the rollers do not seem to be stuck.but it only moves about a inch and the i get the error. anybody have any ideas as to what i could try next?

thanks for you time

Chris

bergerud
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Do a sensor check on the board tracking sensor. See how the numbers change in the display as you roll the brass roller with you fingers.

Old Salt
03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
tracking roller could be rubbing new belt add washers under guide bar. to lift bar.

chief2007
03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
X termination board

bergerud
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Did you install sand paper belts or rubber belts?

scoobie_6
03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
sandpaper belts

bergerud
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
You have to look at the things that you have changed. It sounds like the board tracking sensor is not plugged in or is not working. The board starts to move and when no board sensor data is received it errors. Have you checked the board sensor data? From the manual:

Checking the Machine’s Onboard Sensors
The status of each of the machine’s onboard sensors can be accessed from
the LCD screen and keypad for the purpose of troubleshooting. To access
the Sensor Check menu simply select the “0” (Options) key at the
CarveWright Main Menu or use the up/down arrows to locate the
Configurations Menu and then press ENTER. Next, select the “7” (Measure)
key or use the up/down arrows to locate the Sensor Check menu and then
press ENTER. Navigate through the different sensors and associated status
values using the up/down arrows.

Board Tracking
State – Numerical Value (0.000)
The Board Tracking sensor tracks the position of the workpiece as it travels
in and out of the machine. A small brass wheel rides along the bottom side
of the material and provides position information to the control system. It is
extremely important that the workpiece have a very flat and defect free
surface 3/8” in from the edge on the bottom side of the workpiece in order to
operate correctly. To check the operation of this sensor first make sure that
the brass wheel on the board tracking sensor has the black rubber o-ring in
place and is spinning freely. Spin the wheel and verify that the value
displayed on the LCD is changing

scoobie_6
03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
i can move the brass roller and the numbers go up and down on the screen

henry1
03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Well your board could be warp , your board needs a strait edge if warp will give you that problem

bergerud
03-08-2013, 06:09 PM
When you look across the belts, does the tracking roller stick up about 1/8 of an inch above the plane of the belts? The board should have to push it down before the board gets to the sand paper. (I get the same error as you if I put the board beside the brass roller so it does not roll it.)

scoobie_6
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
i will have to look

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Apply Masking Tape to the bottom of the board at the Brass Roller Contact Area and do a Board Measurement. Remove Board and do you see the Roller Marks on the bottom of the Tape?

scoobie_6
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
ok checked everything again, and everything seems to be ok. but when i try to measure board,it goes for a split second and then i get the tracking roller error,when i press enter to continue i can hear the motor running but belts don't move

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Another thing to check...there is a small (short) length of rubber tubing that sits directly underneath the tracking roller assembly - it is part #99 in the exploded parts list. It is called the "Board Tracking Encoder Damper".Make sure it is still in place under the tracking roller assembly - it's just a friction fit and "stands" upright. If it is not there (or not in proper postition), you will get error you describe.

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
...i can hear the motor running but belts don't move

Thinking about this...motor runs, but no turning? ...perhaps broken tracking gear(s)?

scoobie_6
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
i just replaced the gears also, and i found the tracking damper #99 on the diagram but how do i get to it lol

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
i just replaced the gears also, and i found the tracking damper #99 on the diagram but how do i get to it lol

Download the following document that describes how to replace the board tracking sensor. It shows the damper on page 3...

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_board_tracking_sensor. pdf

scoobie_6
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
i looked at the gears that i just replaced last month, and son of a ***** they are broke again so now i have to order new ones again, i am just glad this is my other machine and that my newer on works great. knock on wood, but this is going to make me nuts before it is all said and done..

thank you for all your help, and i will keep everyone updated

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Very sorry to hear about the broken gears. Makes sense now, based on what you mentioned about the motor running but nothing turning.

To prevent it from happening again, here's a few tips I hope will be helpful...

• run the machine in a shop 50 degrees or above
• don't place the sliding plate too tightly against the board - leave a small gap of at least the thickness of 3 playing cards
• make sure the board (or jig) has parallel edges so it won't "wedge" itself and cause the tracking gears to snap
• check your head pressure - make certain it's not too high and putting a strain on the tracking belts/gears
• check that the head is level - uneven pressure will cause trouble (and possibly broken gears)

...one more tip: very long boards can put a strain on the tracking mechanism - weight needs to be under 20 lbs. total...outfeed support must be used and must allow the board to track straight and level through the machine

Digitalwoodshop
03-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Things that break the gears...

A Jammed Board as in a Tapered board in Thickness or Width.

The Right Side sliding plate touching the board. I like to leave it the thickness of a Quarter away.

And the most common... A Rolled Under Belt... Usually the one under the cut motor and it rolls under at the brass roller... The sign is 2 things.... Since the Belt is Rolled under and not easily seen it raises the board the thickness of the extra fold of sand paper belt and you start getting TRACKING ERRORS.... That is a WARNING... ROLLED UNDER BELT.... Then 2... The Belts finally wrap under so tight and when the SPLICE gets to the jam the GEARS SNAP....

SO for ME... I Rip a 1/2 inch strip of belt at the brass roller and when the belt creeps over again, I rip it.... Works for me.... When I do a lot of 6 inch wide boards the 1/2 of the belt wears and gets looser than the far side and this causes the belt to creep....

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
AL, thanks for adding the "rolled under belt" tip. I should have had that in my list also! Definitely could cause his broken gear problem - twice. Replacing the gears and still having a rolled under belt (or any of the other conditions listed) would certainly explain why it happened both times.

fwharris
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Also to high head pressure will put to much force on the board and gears...

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Also to high head pressure will put to much force on the board and gears...

...read my list...:)

Digitalwoodshop
03-11-2013, 06:17 PM
And a stray broken tooth from the 1st broken gear... Likely not as it would snap pretty quick.... But something to keep in mind when you replace the gear.

AL

fwharris
03-11-2013, 07:33 PM
...read my list...:)

Speed reading and did miss it.....:twisted:

mtylerfl
03-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Speed reading and did miss it.....:twisted:

I do the same thing quite often! I don't know if I need more coffee or less coffee some days! ...or, if I'm beyond help either way. ;)

scoobie_6
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Update..... I got everything together on my older a machine, replaced gears twice,replaced board censor,and the traction belts. and also did the "dime trick" because i kept getting z axis stall error. and now everything is working great...

Thanks to everyone for all the help

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Cool !!!! Another Happy Customer....