PDA

View Full Version : All scanner users--Question??

pkunk
02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
You've probably read of my escapades with the scanner, that it scuffs the surface of painted wood, and is none too gentle with the plaster copies I made to scan instead. I would like to know what your experiences have been in this regard, which scan mode you used, etc.
I replaced 8 cabinet doors today that were all hand carved with plane vanilla ones to match the rest of the kitchen because the owners are selling and the new owners didn't want the carved doors.
The people gave me the doors to scan as they might want copies at a later date. I'm somewhat worried about the damage that might be done. Sample pic of one, they're all different.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Pkunk,

I've not tried my probe on anything as light as clay or plaster yet, but it appears to not be touching all that heavy as you're describing. I'll see if I can get to doing something light with it today and see what happens.

Bob

menewfy
02-07-2007, 09:58 AM
shot in the dark

is there an option in the scanner software good better best this might change the pressure on item?

if not maybe cw can add it to the update in the future.

pkunk
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
shot in the dark

is there an option in the scanner software good better best this might change the pressure on item?

if not maybe cw can add it to the update in the future.
There is draft, normal, best. I'd need best but it shouldnt have anything to do with pressure, just resolution according to the manual.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 10:19 AM
I never carve or probe at less than BEST, Pkunk. If the design is worth carving, it deserves the best the machine can do, is my thinking.

Bob

pkunk
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
I never carve or probe at less than BEST, Pkunk. If the design is worth carving, it deserves the best the machine can do, is my thinking.

Bob
Exactly!

DWD
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Pkunk, I removed the Marine Emblem from a large brass Placque and scanned it in best. There was no noticible scratches or markes in the brass emblem. Have not scanned anything painted however.

pkunk
02-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Some pics-closeups of a few.

Ted Grinnell
02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I have not experienced any scuffing, chipping or any type of deformaty to any of my scanned materials.

I have used material as fragile as porcelin and painted plastics and woods.

Note I always use the depth option and set it at least .10" to 20" in above my tray. This makes the scan time less, as the probe moves quickly through the in item areas of the scan.

I also don't know for a fact, but believe this action decrease the wear and tear on the probe.

My probe has been through 50+ scans without a problem, 3 of them 10+ hours.