PDA

View Full Version : Spice of Life! - Spice Rack - MARCH 2013 Project of the Month

mtylerfl
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for MARCH 2013)...Spice of Life! spice rack project

The Spice of Life! spice rack project makes an ideal addition for your kitchen. It will also be a popular craft item for resale, as well! The decorative “topper” is an ornamental addition that can be customized with your own text or it can be omitted altogether, if desired.

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. You will need to cut the shelves, shelf support strips and dowels to length using a suitable saw (I used my table saw). The "Intermediate" icon for this project is due to the requirement of using another power tool (the table saw, in this case) in addition to the CW machine to complete the project. In fact, the project is quite easy to do.

The overall dimensions of the finished Spice of Life! spice rack project are:
With Topper: 3½" D x 12½" W x 20½"T
Without Topper: 3½" D x 12½" W x 16¾"T

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Spice-Rack_LEFT_Panel.mpc
• Spice-Rack_RIGHT_Panel.mpc
• Spice-Rack_TOPPER.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
LEFT: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
RIGHT: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
TOPPER: 0.5" x 5.5" x 19" (optional)

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) In addition to the boards for the CW machine listed above, you will need to cut the following on your tablesaw:
• four strips 3/8" x 2.5" x12" (shelves)
• two strips 3/8" x 1" x 11.5" (supports)
• three 5/16" dia. dowels x 11 7/8" long

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Spice of Life! spice rack project made from Select Pine:

• One very light coat of thinned Bulls Eye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Golden Mahogany
• Several coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

Smoken D
03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Great one Michael, I just have someone in mind that could use this:grin:

Bigtyme
03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Well done, Michael. Another great POM. I can think of a lot of folks who are going to want one. Thank you....

mtylerfl
03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you! I like this project too (even though I say so myself!).

The main assembly parts (the side panels with the stop-dados and drill holes) can be machined on the CW in about 1/2 hour, is all. While the parts are being machined, you can cut the shelves, supports and dowels to size on the table saw. Add some time for sanding, and you can assemble a spice rack together pretty dang quick!

The optional topper takes between 1/2 hour to 1 hour to machine (depending if you use Best or Optimal). So even with that, the project is rather quick and efficient to do!

Bigtyme
03-02-2013, 03:57 PM
From your pictures, Michael, it appears there is some type of opaque back to the rack but haven't seen any reference to it... Or missed it. Am I seeing things???

mtylerfl
03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
From your pictures, Michael, it appears there is some type of opaque back to the rack but haven't seen any reference to it... Or missed it. Am I seeing things???

The back is open...it is intended to be mounted to a wall. I just got lazy when I was doing the black background mask in the photo editor. ;)

Bigtyme
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Makes sense, Michael...thx

lynnfrwd
03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Michael can the word spices be changed? It would also be great for karleys finger nail polishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtylerfl
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Michael can the word spices be changed? It would also be great for karleys finger nail polishes.

Yes, the text is fully customizable! Great idea for a nail polish rack - I never would have thought of that. It's been years since I painted my nails.

lynnfrwd
03-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Lol!!!!

aokweld101
03-03-2013, 07:35 AM
thank you for the preview I am going to like doing this project, I'm like a kid in a candy store can't wait... again thank you ever so much

b.sumner47
03-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Very nice, Michael. Great idea for a quick gift. Thank you !

Capt Barry

lynnfrwd
03-05-2013, 05:47 PM
It's live and should be coming to an inbox near you...iffins you're a subscriber to the Project of the Month Subscription!

Smoken D
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Got mine:d

aokweld101
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I was wondering if you wanted to make the spice rack wider is there a way to do the top of it to lets say 18" wide instead of the 11 1/2. As you know I am not to bright at pushing these buttons.

mtylerfl
03-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I was wondering if you wanted to make the spice rack wider is there a way to do the top of it to lets say 18" wide instead of the 11 1/2. As you know I am not to bright at pushing these buttons.

Yes, you certainly can. It's rather important to learn to "push those buttons" - just do a little hands-on practice is all. ;)

One way is to make your board longer first (to accomodate the new size you are planning), select all (Cntrl-A) then use Alt-Shift-H and Alt-Shift-V to center everything on the board and remain in position relative to each other.

Turn off the Perspective View. Select the Cut Path outline, then edit the end control point nodes to alter/extend the length of each end to whatever you want. You might want to turn on the Snap/Grid to help place nodes accurately. I made a quickie two-minute example below...

rickyz
03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
great project to finish my subscription on. I'll have to renew next month... I too like to try to figure out how these projects are made. slowly but surely, i'm getting it. always trying to figure out how to change or customize things. I will say the 2d and 3d tools make things alot easier. awesome stuff...

aokweld101
03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
WOW!!..... thats alot of buttons, I'm going to have to print this page just to remember them..lol

aokweld101
03-06-2013, 07:37 PM
ok I've been pushing these buttons I have got all the way to.. turn off perspective view then when I do the outline cut path it does'nt come up, what did do wrong?......grrrrrrrrrr.

mtylerfl
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
ok I've been pushing these buttons I have got all the way to.. turn off perspective view then when I do the outline cut path it does'nt come up, what did do wrong?......grrrrrrrrrr.

All you need to do is select the Cut Path and edit the nodes. You did click on it to select it, right? Try again and let us know how you make out!

aokweld101
03-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I DID IT !!!! I DID IT....!!!!!!..YAHOO......:p

mtylerfl
03-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I DID IT !!!! I DID IT....!!!!!!..YAHOO......:p

I KNEW you could! Good for you - AWESOME, in fact!