PDA

View Full Version : Panel Saw

lostparts
02-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Hey Guys there are to many tools in my work area! I have been thinking about downsizing what I have in relationship to what I need. I have been pricing a panel saw. Does anybody else have one? The one I am looking at is a wall mounted job.

Currently my table saw is just way to much machine for anybody! Its a huge cabinet model that is very hard to move. My thoughts are the panel saw will replace this item and give me some room to grow.

My buddy has a ShopSmith, for those who don't know it is the swiss army knife of wood working, it does a little of everything but it just does it ok, not great. He has been trying to pawn this thing on my for a couple of years but the table on it seems very small.

Any thoughts?

Bigtyme
02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't believe the panel saw is a good replacement for a table saw. It does cut panels well, but that's about it. It won't rip well and I don't believe it will do any type of dado jointing along with a number of other things a table saw can do if properly equipped. If space is a problem, then a shopsmith is a far better option. It takes a little time to set up the various pieces, but they are well built and can do some nice work.

Dan-Woodman
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Panal saws are designed for rough construction. When ripping there's nothing to keep the pieces seperated so at the end of the cut the blade would bind. Also there's no zero clearance for the blade like you can do on a table saw. I would like the Shopsmith for the drillpress , horizonal boring, and lathe operations. The table is not large enough for a table saw, That's my 2 cents.

PCOutlaw
02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
I have a DeWalt panel saw in my shed that I use quite a bit. No, it doesn’t replace my table saw but it does help in a pinch. I have a combo blade on it, it rips 1x’s just fine, and I have stop blocks on it for cutting sheets quick and easy. It takes up about 12’ of one wall, but only about 14” of floor space from the wall.

badbert
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Build a bigger shop! But hey if you want to get rid of that table saw... I'll come haul it off for you! LOL

02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I've lusted for a panel saw but could never justify one. I never cut any large panels on my table saw even though I have large extension wings on a high-end cabinet saw. It's just too hard to maneuver a four by sheet of anything and accurately guided through the blade even on the rare occasion when I have someone else to help me. Since I normally work in my shop alone that option is rarely available.

Instead I use a clamp guide (see photo) to make very accurate cuts with my skill saw. I have a 4 and 8 foot long version. The 8 foot long version will work for 4 feet and even less but it's unwieldy. It's much easier to get very accurate cuts on a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4" MDF lying on four sacrificial pieces of 5/8's deck planking (saved for just this purpose) on my garage floor, than it is trying to lift that kind of weight onto the top of a table saw and guide it accurately through the blade. You move the much lighter saw instead of a huge, heavy board. I find I can cut my sheet goods with as good or better accuracy than any panel saw and it's a crap load cheaper - not to mention takes up a great deal less space. After cutting up the large sheets in my garage, I can take the now smaller pieces down to my shop with less effort also. Of course as usual with all things wood, measure twice, cut once.

lawrence
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
instead of a panel saw, have you considered a tracksaw? It takes up less space and is useful for more than just panels. I have a Festool TS55 and dust extractor that I love and my boys call "Daddy's backsaver" but there are others available (even grizzly is coming out with one that is MUCH cheaper than the festool)

Lawrence

dcalvin4
02-28-2013, 04:25 PM
I a hurry i have my pannels cut for 50cents a cut at home depot where i buy my 4by8 pannels They have a panel cutter
denny

lostparts
02-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Strait up who use's there dado kit?? I used mine once and only once! It takes way to long to set up the saw. Now I lock down a strait edge and break out the router! I have never thought about the tracksaw, but again it would still need alot of room or at least a table to hold the work piece.

I do need a larger work space! Sadly I am set up in my basement, along with my collection of lawn mowers!! But the war department has vetoed my last barn building plan (I was told we needed another tractor!? we own 3??)

Bigtyme
03-01-2013, 07:26 AM
I had to chuckle when I read the question about who uses the dado kit. A couple of years ago, I would have agreed very much, but lately, I have had the occassion to use mine multiple times. It does take a little time to set up, but a good set is pretty darn precise and can really help make a piece of furniture work well. One thing is for sure that I have never spoke to anyone who said their shop was too big, so I guess we all have a space problem of some type. I hope you are able to work that out at some point. Best of luck...

jmoriearty
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
I honestly guess it would depend on what kinds of wood work you are doing. For me, a table saw is one of the most important, fundamental pieces of equipment in my shop. Dados cut on a table saw are so much cleaner than with a router, and if you are making several pieces at once, it's easier to set it up one time than to reset router guides over and over, at least for me. But I also use my table saw to rip, cut box joints, cut rabbits, make tapered table legs, and even cross cuts when I want them very clean or precisely mitered. It does take up a lot of space, but for the things I do, it's priceless.

I, personally, want a sliding miter saw that does 16" cuts to replace my radial arm saw. I'm sooooo tired of that piece of junk taking up room!

wlkjr
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
I love my homemade panel cutter. Ripped a piece of 1/4" plywood about 12" wide and stapled a 1x2x1/2 thick down the middle. Then run your circular saw against the guide and rip off the edge. That edge will now be your marking guide. You can turn the saw around to the narrow side of the saw plate and rip the opposite side against the middle piece. I use big spring clamps to hold it to the plywood I'm ripping. I have one for 8' and one about 52" for 4' or shorter. They're lightweight, cheap, and accurate. If you goof up the edge, it's easier to clean up narrow pieces on the table saw. I also use it to straighten rough boards that have no straightedge and then run it on the jointer.

badbert
03-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I love my homemade panel cutter. Ripped a piece of 1/4" plywood about 12" wide and stapled a 1x2x1/2 thick down the middle. Then run your circular saw against the guide and rip off the edge. That edge will now be your marking guide. You can turn the saw around to the narrow side of the saw plate and rip the opposite side against the middle piece. I use big spring clamps to hold it to the plywood I'm ripping. I have one for 8' and one about 52" for 4' or shorter. They're lightweight, cheap, and accurate. If you goof up the edge, it's easier to clean up narrow pieces on the table saw. I also use it to straighten rough boards that have no straightedge and then run it on the jointer.

I use hardboard and make the exact same set. I put little squares of no-slip on the back side. This also gives a Zero Clearance effect for you circular saw.

lawrence
03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Strait up who use's there dado kit?? I used mine once and only once! It takes way to long to set up the saw. Now I lock down a strait edge and break out the router! I have never thought about the tracksaw, but again it would still need alot of room or at least a table to hold the work piece.

I do need a larger work space! Sadly I am set up in my basement, along with my collection of lawn mowers!! But the war department has vetoed my last barn building plan (I was told we needed another tractor!? we own 3??)

I rarely use my tracksaw anywhere but on the bed of my truck or ground within about 2 feet of my truck (sometimes on a fold out table I put right by my truck bed-- I put a piece of styrofoam down on the truck bed (or ground) and just cut the piece there with my tracksaw- the blade cuts into the styrofoam insulation... easy peasy... no back pain from lifting sheets around and the cuts are finish quality.

Lawrence

Capt Bruce
03-02-2013, 09:01 AM
A second vote for Laerence's described technique. With the circular saw set to just cut through the thickness of your 4 by 8 panel it leaves just a slight cut into the blue foam insulation board and very seldom any tear-out along that cut. Saves my back every time.

pkunk
03-02-2013, 09:28 PM
I honestly guess it would depend on what kinds of wood work you are doing. For me, a table saw is one of the most important, fundamental pieces of equipment in my shop. Dados cut on a table saw are so much cleaner than with a router, and if you are making several pieces at once, it's easier to set it up one time than to reset router guides over and over, at least for me. But I also use my table saw to rip, cut box joints, cut rabbits, make tapered table legs, and even cross cuts when I want them very clean or precisely mitered. It does take up a lot of space, but for the things I do, it's priceless.

I, personally, want a sliding miter saw that does 16" cuts to replace my radial arm saw. I'm sooooo tired of that piece of junk taking up room!
X2 on a good tablesaw!
If you can find one, the old Delta Sawbuck is a slider with a 19" cut at 90° & about 12" at a 45°. It is very accurate, but not really portable. Pic in my shop pics http://handcraftedwooddesign.com/shop.html

lostparts
03-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Alright I guess I will keep the work space killer. I ordered a track saw, we will see how she do! Thanks for the input, ohhh I ended up with the shop smith. I don't know why he, wanted 300$ for a mark 4 ( I believe that is a good deal IDK) It looks new and appears to have all its stuff with it. My thinking it is so heavy it has got to be worth 300.

badbert
03-04-2013, 12:09 AM
X2 on a good tablesaw!
If you can find one, the old Delta Sawbuck is a slider with a 19" cut at 90° & about 12" at a 45°. It is very accurate, but not really portable. Pic in my shop pics http://handcraftedwooddesign.com/shop.html

Wow pkunk! I just surfed your site again. Every time I do, I am impressed with your craftsmanship! And nice shop.