PDA

View Full Version : Bit Plunged Unexpectedly - nicked metal underneath board

mtylerfl
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Hello,

Tried to carve my second project and had a problem. The bit plunged through the board without warning and nicked the metal underneath.

Just got my machine back yesterday, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious enough to take a trip back to Texas.

I simpy imported the "moose plaque" pattern, added some text, set the board dimensions and went to carve. After just a few minutes, the bit took a deep dive through the board without warning.

I am including pics and the MPC file, if someone would be so kind to look at the file to see if the actual MPC is the problem and not the machine (fingers crossed).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

dcozort
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey mine did the same thing... Try doing a safe project and see what happens... For me it required a new z-truck from carvewright which I am currently waiting for...It seems that c/w got some bad Z-Trucks for a third source that were no good... Mine worked for several projects then out of the blue it dove straight through the board.. mine even spun the bit out of the holder... check my previous postings you will see pictures of the event.... Chris at C/W told me once it starts doing it,, it won't stop.... I tried several things after this and he's right it still did it....... :x :x Dennis

mtylerfl
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Hello Dennis,

I tried another, as you say, "safe project". Unfortunately, it did the same thing. This time it cut through the board and nicked the metal on the opposite side, (nearest the LCD side this time). Not sure if I dare use my bit again - the tip looks slightly "rounded" after touching the metal.

Too bad. I feel just as sorry for CW as I do myself. Erik at CW told me they checked the machine out thoroughly before they sent it back, which I am sure they did. Said it was working great after the repairs.

I hope they'll be able to fix me up so I don't have to ship the machine back-n-forth again. I don't think the box will survive another trip after DHL got through with it. :!: I emailed CW Support today as I could not get through via telephone. Hoping they'll be able to get back to me tomorrow.

Oh well, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'll appreciate the machine more when it's working again. Guess I'll just have to play around making some more project designs. :wink:

mtylerfl
02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey Dennis,

Just got a call from CW.

Yes, they verify that it's one of the bad Z-paks (supplier's fault - not CW) and will be sending me a replacement for me to swap out.
Sounds like an easy fix.

I swear, those guys are great. Really up-front, honest and helpful. Nice to know we're in good hands.

dcozort
02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I hope so Michael,, I've been waiting well over a week and call home every day to see if my part showed up yet.... the answer is always NO.. I E-mailed C/W to see when they intended to ship it... All they say is as so as we can rebuild one..... :( :( :( I sure hope it's soon.... I would like to carve and my sears warranty is still running down as my machine sits... I saw Jeff's post about the wires in the back of the truck leading to the board sensor requiring checking in the channel they run in for pinching... But C/W does not recommend removing the truck so I won't.... Patiently waiting ,,,, Dennis

smartalecy
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I have experienced the plunge problem twice so far, but haven't gotten a call back from CW yet to troubleshoot. I would hate to wait for a month for a new chassis if there's a way to fix it until new ones are avail.
I'm also having the problem with the memory card requiring to be re-formatted every two or three projects. It's working now, but I'm afraid it'll quit altogether when they're out of stock due to more and more machines being sold. Trying to cut the down time...
Also I keep getting board sensor errors. I blow the sensor out with air, wipe, wipe some more and it'll finally work. The highest reading I can get out of a white painted board is in the 60's. Does this mean the sensor is bad, or is there something else I can do?
I also have the Bit Plate adjuster problem. Everything is tight and I've removed the rib from the wiper, but it still wouldn't flip out all the way. I finally put a small rubber bumper where the arm wouldn't flip all the way back in and it worked. It's not out far enough to hit the bit, but far enough to get it to work. I'm going to try the wax and see if that'll work since it's bound to be a much better fix.
Any help on troubleshooting the problems? I've been third on the list to callback for the last 5 hours, so it's not looking good that I'm going to get a call back tonight.

The Bard
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
shhhh

Jeff_Birt
02-13-2007, 08:16 PM
smartalecy, you may need to pull out the the board sensor to clean it properly. Your symptoms of plunging and needed to reformat the card seems to fit with having pinched board sensor wires (see my post http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1720).

smartalecy
02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I pulled out the sensor last night and took the clear window out and cleaned, and wiped the sensors. There wasn't any sawdust in the unit, but I cleaned it anyway. I have been having to use masking tape on the board to get the sensor to measure. I thought one of the problems was the tape comes off in pieces and causes the glue off the tape to get all over the truck causing a white gum and maybe it was on the lense. Cleaning it didn't help...it still reads 65 on a piece of white pine. It measured it, but if I try to carve walnut, it won't be able to measure it. I didn't take off the truck and check the wiring underneath. If I don't get a callback, I'll try that next. I don't want to carve anything else until I get the plunge problem fixed. It just destroys good wood. Any ideas on how to fix the plunge problem?

smartalecy
02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
An update to my plunge and board sensor problem. Worked with The infamous Bard to troubleshoot. He determined the Z Pak needed to be repaired, along with the board sensor. Packed them both up and sent back today. Since they're not busy, I figure I should have them back in a couple days.. lol.
Thanks for the suggestions to correct the problems...This forum has allowed me to correct several of them, but this time it was beyond me...

The Bard
02-15-2007, 05:00 PM
sometimes its beyond me too.

usually we just get them to ship us some random part so they think we'll do something about it while we take long lunches to figure it out. Then we send the same part back as a plesebo and hope it works this time

but don't tell anyone.

HandTurnedMaple
02-15-2007, 05:45 PM
What do you mean "don't tell anyone?" We already knew that was the procedure.

The Bard
02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
well, don't tell anyone ELSE> :evil:

mtylerfl
02-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello,

I received my rebuilt Z-pak on Thursday, Feb 15th and started the install/swap out process on Friday.

When I started to remove the cover, I peeked into the back of the machine and noticed that the existing Z-motor connector appeared a tiny, tiny bit ****-eyed. I pushed a finger on the connector and - Lo! It actually pushed in just the teeniest little bit. (I mean maybe a 32nd of an inch.)

Not knowing if this was the actual/total cause of the problem, I had to decide whether to button the machine up and try a carving, or proceed with the rebuilt Z-pack installation. Decided to put the screws back on the cover and try a test carve. The machine worked just fine! I did a second carve and it worked great also. (Both carvings took about 2 hrs, with a total of about 4 hrs. running time.)

Since the machine started having Z-axis errors immediately after its return from repair for other issues, CW thought the Z-Pak was the problem and sent me out a rebuilt one I agreed to install myself rather than ship the machine back.

Now I'm thinking the connector worked loose during the machine's original return shipment... from vibration or handling perhaps...and didn't need the rebuilt Z-pak after all. The connector was out just a hair (it was barely perceptible), but I guess that's all it took to cause the problem. (Wondering if I should I put a spot of 3m adhesive on the connector?)

I'm trying as many carvings as I can this weekend. If all continues to go well, then I'll just return the rebuilt Z-pack to CW, instead of swapping out my machine's existing one...unless someone with any similar experience thinks I should install the rebuilt unit anyway, in case it has other mods made to it that may be an improvement over my existing Z-motor pack. (??)

So far, I am one happy camper indeed!

The pic below is of the rebuilt Z-pak, not the one still in my machine. I only included this photo to illustrate where the connector is located on the back of the Z-Pak (an installed Z-Pak will have a protective cover). You can see a better set of photos on page 3 of the Z-Pak Installation PDF instructions posted by The Bard at http://www.carvewright.com/forum/download.php?id=1383

The Bard
02-19-2007, 09:51 AM
well we'll be happy to get the z motor pack back from you. We have a hand ful of people that would love to get their machines running.

call us and we'll send you a label for it.

mtylerfl
02-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Hello,

Thanks Bard. Appreciate that - I already have the return label.

Gonna carve a couple more projects today though, to make sure the existing Z-Pak behaves itself at least through my next two test carvings.

I gather that you don't think it would be neccessary to install the rebuilt one anyway, in case there were any other mods/improvements made that I don't know about...si?

The Bard
02-19-2007, 12:02 PM
might as well install the new one, and wright a note with theold one saying no need to send it back.