PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on carving material

myshop1044
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
I am in the process of making molds for a custom, she will use the molds to
form from clay different objects. My questions is what type of material do you think would be the best.
some tight grain woods, if so which ones or maybe corian. the molds will be a 1/2" deep made out of 3/4" thick material.
I'm leaning towards corian, if I can get a piece that thick and about 30" x 12"

Any adive would be great.

Perry B.

Dan-Woodman
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
What about that PVC siding. I believe it comes in 3/4" thick and probably 11-1/4" wide ,not sure.

myshop1044
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Dan that is a very good idea, I have a piece in the shop. I just used the that same material on some
outdoor garden signs, I didn't carve on it but I did did some etching on it and it did well.
Thanks again.

Perry B.

dehrlich
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Can you paint on PVC? Never tried it. Getting ready to make a sign for the front of my shop and that would work good, but need to paint. What about gluing it to make wider "boards"?

fwharris
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Can you paint on PVC? Never tried it. Getting ready to make a sign for the front of my shop and that would work good, but need to paint. What about gluing it to make wider "boards"?

Darren,

You sure can paint PVC and for glues up it is the same/similar to PVC pipe.

Alan Malmstrom
02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I get this plastic welder glue that is really good on hard plastics. I bet it will work much better than the two part pvc pipe adhesives. Here's the link: http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?family=Plastic%20Welder%E2%84%A2

They have this at my local hardware store. You don't want epoxy because it doesn't weld at all.