PDA

View Full Version : Inlay supplies

Greybeard
02-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I know it's a bit off forum topics, but I'm trying to help someone in the US with fan work.
Can anyone point me to a supplier on your side of the pond of 1mm thick veneer ?
Or has anyone got suitable kit to produce a smallish quantity ?
I've suggested that she laminate two sheets of "off-the-shelf" 0.6mm if we can't find any, but I would prefer to find the correct size if possible.
If there's a choice, pear would be best.

Regards
John

HandTurnedMaple
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
What's 1mm? I don't understand. :?

HandTurnedMaple
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm too lazy to convert, but Rockler.com sells veneers from 1/40" to 1/28" thick. But no pear.

Greybeard
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
HTM - thanks for the link. I've had a look but can't find in their on line catalogue any details of thicknesses.
Is this something that only appears in the paper catalogue ?
If you have one, could you give me a typical cat number of a 1/28" veneer so I can do a search, as they only supply catalogues within the US apparently.
Many thanks
John

HandTurnedMaple
02-06-2007, 04:01 PM
83840 is Maple Burl, but the catalog says 1/40 to 1/28. Maybe the website will differentiate. Or 13920 White Birch 1/64 flexible veneer. 21428 White Ash, no thickness given but says "Thicker than most veneer!"

Greybeard
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks HTM, I'll take a look.
Regards
John

Greybeard
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
That last one led me to their two ply veneer, which will be quicker, and more reliable I hope than for her to have to make it.
Many thanks
John

Greybeard
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
No, there's a problem. It's cross grained two ply, and not suitable for fine piercing. There will be too much fuzz.
Unless I can find someone with suitable kit, ie a fine toothed saw bench with micrometer feed, I think she's going to have to make her own.
The timber need to be fine grained with no figure, just the opposite of what most veneers are.

Regards
John

HandTurnedMaple
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
You're awfully picky for rodent that eats nuts off the ground.

kyeakel
02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
See if any of this veneer suits your fancy..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=veneer

Dan-Woodman
02-06-2007, 08:55 PM
.6mm is.023,or a little over 1/64 and under 1/32.

Greybeard
02-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi HTM.
Yeah, picky it has to be - if you have the time and inclination take a look at what I do www.fanmaker.co.uk ( correction - used to do).
Trying to teach "how to" via email is going to be tricky at best, even if I can find suitable wood. :)

Thanks Ky - all ideas welcome.

I'm not going into the metric/imperial debate. I'm just grateful that I have no problem handling both, whichever is more convenient.

Regards
John

HandTurnedMaple
02-07-2007, 10:17 AM
It is tricky. I've been working with Hanna over email on how to do some things and the trickiest part is phrasing questions and answers so that the other person can understand. And keeping a train of thought while waiting for responses if the other person has to leave. But once you establish a little how each other talks and thinks it gets easier.

BTW, its very nice work. I'm glad you can do that sort of thing. I don;t have the fine manual dexterity for it. Roughly what's the method. Do you hand paint the veneer on both sides, or do you use 2 pieces of veneer then glue the backs together? Or am I way off?

Greybeard
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
HTM - all the wood work is done first, starting from veneers, with the only the design of the finished shapes drawn on.
After all the piercing is finished and the surface and cut edges have been sanded, only then are the surfaces decorated. Finally the sticks are assembled.
Good grief, twenty years experience in two sentences. :(

John