PDA

View Full Version : depth of carve reigion

aokweld101
02-25-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm trying to make a shelf with two carve regions in the same area one I want to make a depth of .2 on the main part the other region at .375 on the circles how do I get the region at .375

bjbethke
02-25-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm trying to make a shelf with two carve regions in the same area one I want to make a depth of .2 on the main part the other region at .375 on the circles how do I get the region at .375

You need to "Merge Subtractive" and "Invert" the circle patterns

aokweld101
02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
thank you, I knew I needed the merge button but did'nt know to add or subtrack and did'nt even think of the invert button, i got it to raise but could'nt get it to go down deeper in the wood ...again thank you ...

SteveNelson46
02-25-2013, 09:45 AM
It might be better to use the drill tool instead. Just a suggestion.

aokweld101
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I have one more question for this project and that is what bit to use on the larger carve region...

mtylerfl
02-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I have one more question for this project and that is what bit to use on the larger carve region...

A rastered Carve Region will always use the Carving Bit chosen for the project. Of course you already know the default carving bit is the 1/16" Tapered Ballnose (carving bit choices are called the "Pattern Bit" and are chosen via the project setup menu). If the only carving bit you own is the 1/16" Tapered Carving Bit, then that's the bit you will use. If you own the 1/8" BALLNOSE or the 3/16" BALLNOSE, you have the option to globally select either of those as your "Pattern Bit". You cannot mix-n-match different carving bits within the same project, at this time.

aokweld101
02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
will I be able to do the 1/16 carving bit, 1/8 cutting bit and 3/16 ballnose all in this one project or only use two bits..

bergerud
02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
You can use as many bits as you want in a project. You can only, however, choose one to be the pattern bit. All patterns will be carved with whatever bit you choose as the pattern bit in board settings (the default is 1/16 Ballnose). So that really means you can only have one carving bit per project. All the other bits would be vector bits for cutting, or drilling, or routing.

SteveNelson46
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Raster carves will have the same taper on the side walls as the carving bit. The advantage of using the drill tool inside the carve region is that it will give you straight side walls.

mtylerfl
02-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Raster carves will have the same taper on the side walls as the carving bit. The advantage of using the drill tool inside the carve region is that it will give you straight side walls.

I made a couple tutorial videos on this subject. Here is the link to both videos:

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/tips-tricks/pocketcuts/

aokweld101
02-26-2013, 04:52 AM
I woke up at 3:00 am this morning, I woke up with this project in mind I thank you for giving me something to watch and learn It makes it so much easier for carving and won't run the machine to death with the 1/16 carve bit.... I'm getting like johnny 5 I need more input..I want to thank ya'll for this help....that is southern talk for thank you guys...by the way I'm starting to grow gill's from all this rain..GEEEzz

peep
06-05-2013, 02:25 PM
In one project, or start of the machine, can you do a patern carve with a 1/18 bullnose then as the project carries on to a senterline carve, does the machine stop and ask for the 90 v grove bit?

Or is this two projects?

bergerud
06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
You can have many different bits in one project. The machine will ask for them, one at a time at the beginning (to measure them and make sure you have them all) and then stop and ask you to change bits as it needs the different bits during the cutting of the project.

peep
06-05-2013, 08:53 PM
So in one carve you can have a carving bit, cutting bit and v groove router bit and a edge router. Thanks

lynnfrwd
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I think most ppl avoid the edge route function unless odd shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk