PDA

View Full Version : Lines in carve

judgejrt
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
CARVING HAS LINES VERTICAL . any ideas? could it be compression rollers too tight , not allowing movement of project through in sync? or slipping on sandpaper belts? I'm using mdf

badbert
02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Please post pictures, MPC, and more info. Which Chuck, Good, optimal, or best. That kind of thing.

unitedcases
02-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Without looking at your design I would ask what quality are you carving at and how fresh is your bit? Also what are you carving into?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

RogerB
02-23-2013, 06:16 AM
With out seeing a pic of your carve .One would be sand paper feed rolled under .

henry1
02-23-2013, 06:24 AM
I would have to say your sliding bar is to tight againts the wood and your wood probebly not square

bergerud
02-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Do you have a dust control system? The first thing I would check is the z movement. The z bearings, rails, or belt fowled with dust can cause lines in the carving as it can make the z positioning inconsistent.

judgejrt
02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks for responses fellows. Answering questions: I'm using MDF , "best " setting. sandpaper belts not rolled or torn, bit in good condition, . Lines or ridges of different depth run up and down the entire vertical distance of project which was "good shepherd" project posted here on forum. i do not have attached dust control, however I clear dust periodically. BUT I just upgraded to 1.186 software and cleared card. This was 1st carve after and never had that problem with this machine before (although did with another) . Also it seemed that compression rollers had to be tightened or cranked down more in order to get "enter " message and proceed w carve. Does any of this make sense?

fwharris
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for responses fellows. Answering questions: I'm using MDF , "best " setting. sandpaper belts not rolled or torn, bit in good condition, . Lines or ridges of different depth run up and down the entire vertical distance of project which was "good shepherd" project posted here on forum. i do not have attached dust control, however I clear dust periodically. BUT I just upgraded to 1.186 software and cleared card. This was 1st carve after and never had that problem with this machine before (although did with another) . Also it seemed that compression rollers had to be tightened or cranked down more in order to get "enter " message and proceed w carve. Does any of this make sense?

I would start looking at the compression roller end to see how much dust has built up inside them. Betting they are loaded with the fine dust from the MDF....

badbert
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
At best, we are only guessing. Can you post pictures?

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Just Guessing but it could be Y Gear Box Bearings too if I am getting that the lines are on the sides of a carve region.... A picture would help.. Lines 90 degrees to the Board Length or X could be the Board Tracking sensor.

AL

judgejrt
02-23-2013, 02:29 PM
this is picture of bad carve after I sanded it some

judgejrt
02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Here is bigger image of bad carve

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Not sure the Orientation of the carve.... IS that how it looks in Designer?

Is the bulk of the 2 lines 3.5 inches from the edge of the board where the board came out from under the rollers on both ends?

AL

badbert
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Can you upload the MPC file?

badbert
02-23-2013, 03:32 PM
It does look about 3 1/2 inches on both sides is the worst of the lines. Did you make sure to leave 3 1/2" on both sides. If yes, then next question, Are you using a Quick Change chuck? Because it looks like the bit might of been loose. Next question, MDF is very smooth (slippery) did you put a few extra strips of masking tape on the back of the board? How many hours on the machine?

seathis
02-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Are you using a sled, if so, is the wood level in the sled or is it "rocking", for lack of a better word. Is your wood bowed?

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2013, 05:15 PM
What we are trying to say is if you design a project that moves out from under the rollers while being cut the board that was being held FLAT to the sand paper belts now only held by 1 roller can TIP UP causing the bit to cut DEEPER in a line 3.5 inches from the end of the physical board. This is since the roller is 3.5 inches from the cutting bit... SO BOTH ENDS.... a Line 3.5 inches...

OR.... You have a loose ROLLER Rail Bearing either Y or Z?

Saw your PM about pictures just now... Looks like you got it.

AL

badbert
02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
See I told ya! This place is great! We'll get ya going in no time!

judgejrt
02-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for responses. Answering questions: the orientation is how it was in designer and in machine top was on side of keypad, did attach extra 3.5 in. to each side of same material (was still under rollers) so ridges not just 3.5 in from length ends, mdf was flat square not bowed, machine has about 186 hrs but has been repairedand spruced up by sears, It does have quick connect but not loose ,in fact had difficulty getting it out to change for letters. before it seemed that lhr tech wanted me to change software upgrade and reformat and flash memory card. We did several things but I can't remember what worked. How do I check roller rail bearing? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND RESPNSES!!

unitedcases
02-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Nobody has mentioned dust in the z encoder. That could affect z travel.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

judgejrt
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
My problem with lines in carve may be loose z truck(where flexshaft connects) .The top left screw (looking in from open cover) seems to to be stripped. It wont tighten but the opposite roller doesnt seem to move as easily as others. AT any event is this likely the problem? If so is there an easy or temporary fix, such as threadlocker or just larger screw? Any suggestions? I have another machine from which I can borrow parts.

judgejrt
02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Z truck loose . Top left screw is stripped. Any suggestions for quick or temporary fix,?

bergerud
02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Are you sure it is striped? You need to hold the bearing center to tighten the screw. It is probably just loose. If you can slip something behind the bearing to get some friction to stop the bearing insert from turning, you might get lucky. Otherwise, I think you have to take off the truck.

judgejrt
02-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks bergerud,you may be right. There is no nut on this one and no way to tighten or unscrew. I've taken z truck off and replaced. But the whole truck is loose at top as it was before and unlike my other machines...

bergerud
02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
I am not sure what you mean about no nut. The black screws thread into inserts which are pressed into the rollers. The rollers on the left are simply screwed on tight when the truck is off (there are slots in the back of the inserts). The rollers on the right have off centered screw holes and are used to adjust the tension between the rollers and the rails. You need a thin 12mm wrench to turn these bearing inserts and tighten the rollers.

judgejrt
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
The top left roller spins freely with my finger. I took off truck and attempted to tighten screw using also flat screwdriver in back slot. IT would act as if it would tighten and then release feeling like a stripped screw would. Also the top right can be moved with my finger but not as easily. The other screwsfeel tight. But the whole top of the truck can be moved easily back and away from y frame ie is lots of play or movement back from top. Does this make sense?

bergerud
02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Sure, it makes sense. Sounds like you were right about the stripped screw. Hope it is the screw and not the insert threads. One of the two or both have to be replaced. Good news, you have found the problem.