PDA

View Full Version : Running Trim

CarverJerry
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Would anyone by chance have a pattern that would be close to this shown in the picture. If I were to do this in designer using a cut path for the shape, and I know that I couldn't get the sharp corners in the bottoms because of the 1/8" tool dia., does the path have to be closed? Meaning the ending point and the starting point connect? I want to make a board at least30" long with this design. Can anyone help me out on this? thanks

bergerud
02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
The path does not have to be closed for cut path but it does have to cut the board into two pieces. The path can start and end on edges of the board.

CarverJerry
02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Well then do I need to have tabs on this to hold the pieces together so they don't get jammed up along the way?

bergerud
02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Tabs and/or a sled.

Underdog
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I can't determine if this is supposed to be a moulding profile, or the shape of the end of the board.

CarverJerry
02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
It's moulding, going to make like a serving tray and that will be above the table part as a border. A friend of mine ask if I could do it but I really don't think I can, so any pointers would sure help. Would you use the grid to get everything the same all the way down the length of the board. It's only going to be 1/4" thick. I'm not sure what it would even be called besides running moulding.

CNC Carver
02-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Jerry what is the size of the inside circle?

CNC Carver
02-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Here is what I would use. I would use a sled with double sided tape to attach 1/4 to sled.

eelamb
02-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Jerry here is a dxf of what you are looking for. I did not put the inner circle in it, since I did not know the size. This is in dxf so maybe some will convert it for you.
Grid is .125"

CarverJerry
02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
@ CncCarver.... the inside circle is about 3/4" dia. That looks just like what I had in mind. Now can you tell me how you came about getting this done? I'm learning this stuff but don't want to depend on others doing it for me. This should be something simple but I sometimes get confused reading other threads about like cut paths having to be closed and so forth.
This would be a perfect example of having our designer program be able to do a simulated cut, I have 2 programs (Cut Viewer Mill and Cut Viewer Lathe) that I used when doing G&M code programing, it sure helps to verify things go like you need them to.
Thanks CncCarver. And thanks Eddie but I don't have the dxf importer, at least not yet.

bergerud
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Is this what you are trying to do? If it is, I first drew a horizontal connected line with vertices spaced at 0.75 - 0.75 - 0.75 - 3 snapped to a grid of 1/8 spacing. Then I lifted the second vertex to the 0.75 to make the triangle. Then I converted the last line segment into an arc and lifted the center of it to 1.25. Then I drew the 3/4 circle in it and made it a cutout. Then I copied, pasted, and moved the whole creation over and over to take up the length of the board. With everything selected, I tweaked the overlapping vertices to connect the whole path together and then made it a cut path.

ktjwilliams
02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Why not just use a band saw and drill press ... Or run it in your carvewright but don't go all the way through, then finish up on a band saw so you'll get your sharp inner grooves..

CarverJerry
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Bergerud, that is what I was looking to learn to do. Thank you. Now I'm going to give it a try myself and see if I can't make it work. I'll still have to use my bandsaw to the the sharp corners cut out but didn't want to do 6 feet of this using the bandsaw alone. Thanks guys.

eelamb
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Jerry it is very simple to make in designer. First place a grid on the board, and set it to be .25 (layout, snap). Now click the snap to grid, and choose the arc tool under the circle on menu bar. Place the first point, on left side, and count over 12 spaces (12x.25=3.0). The arc will be too high so grab the center of the circle and lower it to the 6th line from the bottom. Now for the upside down V. choose the line tool and starting the the arc end (look for the star to join it) clik then count over 3 spaces and up 3 spaces and click again. Do the same for the other side of the line going down. Copy and paste as often as you want.

bergerud
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
This is a simple path and so there are many ways to do it. When making more complicated shapes involving line segments and curves, I find that to make the whole path using connected lines first. Move all of the vertices around to where you want them and then, lastly, convert the segments you want to be arcs and curves to arcs and curves. This way you avoid the annoying problems associated with trying to move vertices attached to arcs and curves.

CNC Carver
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Bergerud how do you convert a line segment into an arc or circle?

bergerud
02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Check out the Utility Toolbar. View-Toolbars check the check box on utility toolbar. You are in for a treat if you have not seen it before!

Capt Bruce
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I can help you with that DFX import to make a file Jerry. Here's one I laid out a week ago to cut out shelf components and the cut paths were drawn to end off the sides of the boards. Yes the cut path when assigned left tabs at strategic points although I probably specifies too many. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Concept design credit goes to Jason Allan as I admired his shelf at last year's Woodworking Show table setup so I made one too with the CW.

60200 60198 60199 60201

CarverJerry
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks Capt. Bruce. Well I did find the tool bar you were talking about Bergerud, didn't know that was even there, but I must be as dumb as a box of rocks as I can't figure out how to make it do any thing. Is there an instruction page for these tools somewhere?

bergerud
02-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Page 64 in the software manual:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Manuals/CarveWright_Software_Manual.pdf

I use these tools all the time. I have the drawing tools and utility tool bar down the left side of the program window for quick access.

You can add vertices, remove vertices, break segments, change segments to and from lines, arcs, and splines.

bergerud
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
As an exercise to see how wonderful these tools can be, use them to draw a rectangle with rounded corners as follows: With connected lines and snap to grid on, quickly draw a closed rectangle with 45 degree short segments in the corners (eight sides in all). Now adjust the position of the vertices if your quick draw needs it. Click the change to arc button on the utility toolbar and click on each of the four 45 degree corners. Presto, rounded corners of exactly the right radii!

Now if you want to alter the figure by dragging points, things will go wrong. Arcs will misbehave. Change all of the arcs back to line segments, drag the points and then convert back to arcs. The figure behaves when it is all segments.

This is how I have learned to draw shapes. Use connected line tool to put all of the vertices in the right places and then convert to arcs and splines. If I do need to edit a part of the figure, I convert the nearby arcs and splines to segments, edit, and then convert back.

CarverJerry
02-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Bergerud, don't give up on me, yet, I ran into a designer problem and had to restore my computer back to factory as my designer would crash everytime I tried to use that tool bar. So now I'm just getting all my license's activated and everything reinstalled.

CarverJerry
02-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Ok, I think I got my computer working ok now and all my license' updated. Now will someone take a look at this for me and tell me if this will work. Do I need to group these all together after I made all the copy and paste across the board? Thanks, I'm hoping this 'ol dog is picking this stuff up a little.

bergerud
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
If you want to make the curve a cut path, you have to connect the pieces together and have the beginning and end on the edge of the board. Now you have it as a bit path which does not cut through and follows the middle of the curve as opposed to being on the side of the curve. To get rid of the bit path, select all, select bit, then no bit.

Now for the cut path: Select all. Then under view-toggle non end points (or ctrl-e). With snap on, tweak the extra end points to make them disappear. Now it is all one curve but it also has to make it to the end of the board. Either stretch it, add a small segment, or shorten the board. The cut path button will light up when it makes it to the end, and then, you can make it a cut out.

CarverJerry
02-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Ok I think I actually learned something. Once I zoomed in real close I see where the end points were and once I joined them it disapeared. I added a line to the end to extend it to the edge of the board. Think this will work now?

bergerud
02-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Looks good to me. I have never done a cut like that. Will it be on a sled? Leaving the rollers while cutting is always risky.

CarverJerry
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
I almost all the time use a sled and NEVER leave the rollers, thats just asking for trouble as the board is only held down with one roller. I do thank you for your support, sorry I'm not as savvy as a lot of you guys, but I'm learning.

CarverJerry
02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Another Bergerud, If I copy and paste this above and flip it so I can cut 2 of these out of this board why can't I make the cut path icon light up?

CarverJerry
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Playing around with this I locked the edge point to 0.0 and then it showed the cut path, not sure what I'm really doing but it worked.

bergerud
02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
If you had used the snap grid, it would have worked. Both ends have to exactly make it to the edge of the board. Moving without the snap would always leave one end short of the board edge.

With the snap to grid on, copy, paste, flip, move to the top, and the cut path will come back. Then, I think you will have flip the cut.

CarverJerry
02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

CarverJerry
03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
@ Bergerud..... Do I have to assign a tool for this once I have the cut path the way I want to be? I tried it on a scrap piece selecting the 1/8" straight tool with a max depth of .125 and it didn't follow the exact same path the second time around...?? Thanks for your help, I sure don't want to scrap out this guys piece of cherry that he's had for years.

bergerud
03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
I am not sure I know what you mean. The mpc you attached has a cut path with the 1/8 bit assigned and a max depth of 0.250. The bit cuts on the outside of the path. If you simply assign a bit to the path (not a cut path) it will cut down the center of the path instead of the the side. Is that the difference you saw?

CarverJerry
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
When I look at this mpc I don't see a tool assigned or a depth in the tool bar. Can you tell me where you find this information? On this one I did not assign any tool or depth, in fact I selected "no bit" Is this a default for a cut path?
Wait a min, when I clicked on the cut path icon, the other 2 icons (flip cut out, & hide cut out) next to it turned off, then I re-clicked the cut path icon and the box came up with the 1/8" tool and where you can set tabs ect.... Not sure what I did or didn't do but I guess I just got myself in a cluster $%^# and freaked out a little. Let me try this again. Sorry, and thanks for the help.
its hell getting old and the 'ol brain isn't what it used to be...:roll:

bergerud
03-13-2013, 04:39 PM
If you click on the cut path icon the cut path is removed. If you click it again, it comes back and shows you the dialog box. I was double clicking on that for years and thinking it was stupid. I have found since that you click on the saw blade button (edit cut out) to revise a cut path. I think you are now on to it.

CarverJerry
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Bergerud, I've made some size changes on this project again but for the life of me I can't get it to light up the cut icon. What I'm actually trying to do is have it start cutting at the center of the radius and end on the center of a radius. I've lengthened the board to 25" to get the end points to the edge but only really need the board to be 20". Can you tell me why the cut path icon isn't lighting up on this one? sorry to bother you but I've spent way too much time on this and Im sure I'm just missing something stupid. Thanks

mtylerfl
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Bergerud, I've made some size changes on this project again but for the life of me I can't get it to light up the cut icon. What I'm actually trying to do is have it start cutting at the center of the radius and end on the center of a radius. I've lengthened the board to 25" to get the end points to the edge but only really need the board to be 20". Can you tell me why the cut path icon isn't lighting up on this one? sorry to bother you but I've spent way too much time on this and Im sure I'm just missing something stupid. Thanks

Hi Jerry,

The following Tips & Tricks may help you with this. (You don't use the Cut Path tool on something like you've laid out. Plus, the Cut Path tool prefers closed vectors.)

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_May08.pdf

bergerud
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Your path is made of pieces. You need it to be a single curve. With all selected, under view "toggle non end points". The red dots which are still visable are end points. Tweak each of the interior end points with the mouse and they will "weld" and disappear. When all are welded and only the two real end points on the edges of the board are left, the cut out will light up.

bergerud
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
You don't use the Cut Path tool on something like you've laid out. Plus, the Cut Path tool prefers closed vectors.

You can use the cut path tool on any path which divides the board into two regions. It is a topological condition. Closed curves divide the board into an inside and an outside. A path through the board also divides the board into two regions. Granted, safely cutting such paths may require extra care to stay under the rollers but the machine will do it.

CarverJerry
03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks a million, I knew it was something I was over looking, got them to dissapear and it lit up the cut path icon.
@ Mtylerfl....Thanks for the tips & tricks, had read one that was in another post this morning under the thread cut path, but I will read this one too. I'm trying to make some running trim in cherry using a sled.
You guys are great.

mtylerfl
03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
You can use the cut path tool on any path which divides the board into two regions. It is a topological condition. Closed curves divide the board into an inside and an outside. A path through the board also divides the board into two regions. Granted, safely cutting such paths may require extra care to stay under the rollers but the machine will do it.

That is true...however, I was thinking he wanted gaps for "manual" tabs and was just confused on why he couldn't use the Cut Path tool on that layout. ;)

bergerud
03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Sorry MT, I thought you were saying cut paths only worked for closed loops.

mtylerfl
03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Sorry MT, I thought you were saying cut paths only worked for closed loops.

Hey, I think we're all loopy 'round here! :shock: