PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning

lostparts
02-19-2013, 07:20 PM
I have a lathe, it is a el cheap o but I love it. I do mostly bowls and square plates ( Square Plates Rock!!) I have been thinking about trying to turn a few pen's. What is the inside mechanical workings of a pen called? I have been trying to find something online, but all I seem to find are full kits (wood and all) I have tons of small pieces of wood that I can glue up for the Barrels but were do you get the in side workings?

Thanks

SteveEJ
02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Wood turnings.com is a good site. You are talking about the pen kits. It has all the internals, etc in it. The pen blanks can be wood, acrylic, bone, etc.. Penstateindustries.com is a good site as well.

You will need a mandrel and chisels. Added to that you will need bushings and the correct size drill bit for the kit.

Look and read. There are good videos out there too.

Good luck and have fun.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SteveEJ
02-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Stupid auto spell correction.. "WOODTURNINGZ.COM"

Stece

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jiml
02-19-2013, 08:03 PM
penstateind.com has everything you need and you can get the kits with or without the wood/acrylic. You need a mandrel (get the mandrel saver package it's worth it). Get the catalog it's free and you can get a free CD showing how to do it. Pen turning that is.

eelamb
02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
A very great place is http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/ they beat the others in price, and service. They also have the PSI, and lower cost than penstate (PSI).

keninar
02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
I buy a great deal of my pen supplies from PSI as well, but you might wish to check out Woodcraft.com. A slightly different "brand" of pen kits, but they have franchise stores all over the states - one in Charlotte, which if I was awake during Geography class, isn't too far from where you are. Both PSI and WC offer free catalogs and a great deal of learning resources. Eddie's resource (post above) is great as well - I travel enough that I tend to look for a WC store to make sure I have something to bring home to the wife. (She's starting to appreciate the thought, if not the result!)

ladjr
02-19-2013, 10:29 PM
That is a great site Eddie. Thanks

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

jmoriearty
02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
A very great place is http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/ they beat the others in price, and service. They also have the PSI, and lower cost than penstate (PSI).

Completely right there! Woodnwhimsies is where I buy the majority of my pen making supplies. I sell a few hundred a year, so saving a few bucks here and there helps a lot. Plus, it always takes PSI a good week to get them to me. With WnW I usually get them in 2 or 3 days. They also have the best bullet pen kit on the market in my opinion. The guys there are awesome, they don't mind talking on the phone with you if you need something. Customer service at its finest! I do recommend that you avoid their acrylics unless you know what you are doing. Most of the ones Tim makes are polyester based and you have to be pretty good to do them. I don't know how many I blew out learning, but it was worth it for the final results.

If you ever have any questions, let me know. I don't mind helping out if I can.

lostparts
02-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Wow guys thanks for all the great link's and advice! Didn't know how many of you were so well rounded ( pun intended)