PDA

View Full Version : cut path

aokweld101
02-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I am having problems with my cut path again. I done it once to the pattern size and all went well, I enlarge the pattern to make it bigger to fit the board better and my cut path won't come in . someone tell me how to do it please. I attached the file

fwharris
02-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Go to "view" "toggle non end point' and it will show you the two points that are not connected...

bergerud
02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Try the toggle end points under the view menu (or ctrl-E) when your curve is selected and you will see the offending point which did not close the curve.

aokweld101
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
I' not to bright at this,.. I did what you said and how do you know what is'nt attached and what does it look like. thank you

bergerud
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Only the end points show up. All the non end points disappear and so the ones left are end points. You do not want end points so you move one of them onto the other and they will "weld" together, disappear, and cut path will light up.

aokweld101
02-18-2013, 03:15 PM
and what color is not attached I have one red dot and a green and a yellow

badbert
02-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks bergerud! I learned something new. aokweld101 if you imported that pattern you should have clicked the down arrow until the background went away. Then a simple outline pattern could have been used as a cutpath.

aokweld101
02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I figured it out it was the red dot thank you ever so much, You guys are great!!!!

Capt Bruce
02-18-2013, 03:21 PM
One more thought on setting a cut path after you have done the outline pattern command. It should show up as a dashed line set to cut around your pattern (and also inside your "string"). If as you noted you then increase/move or change the size of the pattern "to make it fit the board better" the cut path will not necessarily increase in size as well. It may if you grouped these items and select them together before re-sizing.

You may need to delete the original cut path and again outline the pattern at its new size. Then turn that dashed line into a cut path and proceed.

Perhaps I did not fully understand what you described in your message but I hope this might be helpful.

aokweld101
02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
capt bruce thank you for that thought I am always thankful for the help that a I recieve.. when downloading a picture from the the internet does the outline patern work or do you have to put the cut path in manually?

Capt Bruce
02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Good question in that all pictures are different. A JPG or PNG normally has a background color even if it is white. When you try importing that image into Designer to make a pattern you will be presented with all that background. You can click on the down arrow to the left of the image and the background will probably go to black around your desired object meaning it is now transparent to the machine (it's now the top surface of the wood). If you click finish and add the pattern to your Favorites Library you will have a pattern that is just the shape of the object pictured.

Try adding the pattern to your virtual board in Designer and size it where you want it. Then select Outline Pattern and see what it captures. The white line shows you what will be cut out when you make the dashed line into a cut path. You might also want to use Flip Cut to move the cutting bit fully outside your pattern because it defaults to centering the 1/8" bit right on the line eating 1/16" of your pattern edges. Hope this helps you.