PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Picture

alljoy
02-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Ok, I've tried and tried to make this picture into a pattern to carve for a good friend. Everything I do comes out looking horrible. Can someone please help? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

lawrence
02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I will reiterate that there is a lot going on in that pic- making a 2.5/3d model out of this pic is difficult and time consuming (at best) and you still may not get the look you're going for. With the 2d tracing/3d modeling there is a chance that one might be able to make a decent model, but only after several hours of work tracing and puffing each part and then adding the pic on top.

If you have the STL importer you can find a tractor on google sketchup and put it on a project- the lettering itself isn't an issue either if you have centerline, but you wouldn't see a girl in the carve which is what I think you're hoping for.

This pic lends itself nicely to being made into a lithophane though, and I highly recommend that you consider it if you're determined to use this pic.

I'm not trying to discourage you, and hope you take this post in the spirit in which it was intended.

Lawrence

alljoy
02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks Lawrence. Yes there's tons going on. I was hoping I could play with the grayscales and everything else would just "magically" work itself out, lol. I must be out of magic pixie dust or something tho. ;) I never thought of the lithopane idea. I haven't carved any lithopanes before. I don't have a dust collector on my machine, can lithos be carved without dust collector?
Yes, having the girl in the tractor is the whole idea. Maybe I'll try to delete the whole background and concentrate just on the tractor. You're right, the wording I can add in later with centerline.

Thank you for your advice.
Joyce

edzbaker
02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Take a look at the grayscale that is attached. I posted a Grayscale, instead of a PTN so you can change the depth, size, and edit it if you wanted.

bjbethke
02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Ok, I've tried and tried to make this picture into a pattern to carve for a good friend. Everything I do comes out looking horrible. Can someone please help? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

There are images of a big tractors, you need to draw in the image of the Girl. All you need is a ShaderMap program to give them a 3d look.