PDA

View Full Version : Available Penetrating Moly Lubes? Will any of these work?

Underdog
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
I've read that Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil and Chain lube L716 is the lubricant of choice for the flexshaft cable. However, it's also been said that it's hard to find. I found it by the case on Amazon, but I don't wanna buy a full case...

Here are a few penetrating moly lubes I've found at Grainger... Tell me if any of these will work:

Brand - mod#, description, size, Grainger #
SprayOn - S00201000, Lube 21oz. Grainger # 4X595

Thanks for your attention.

Underdog
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Here's what looks like the replacement for the original L716.

Liquid Wrench - L711, Universal Chain & Wire Cable Lubricant, 11 oz. , Grainger # 12U401

I got the specs for this from Tractor Supply - this contains a "new organic molybdenum compound for high lubricity and anti-wear
properties, without the black staining of original MOLY."

There are two other Liquid Wrench products that contain "Cerflon" which I assume is a brand name of Teflon, that might do the same thing... one even claims to be a chain and cable lubricant- L112, and L512.

Rob Mulgrew
02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I used Dupont Teflon Chain Saver, wax based chain lube (bought at Walmart) on mine and it worked great. I am at 85 hrs and the flex shaft still has not got hot again. A little bit of the lube did come out of the end of the shaft on the truck when I first started running it again but I just wiped it off and have not had any trouble since. I dont think I wiped it down good enough getting the excess off before putting it back in. You definately dont want any lube dripping in the machine.
Rob

lynnfrwd
02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Here's what looks like the replacement for the original L716.

Liquid Wrench - L711, Universal Chain & Wire Cable Lubricant, 11 oz. , Grainger # 12U401

I got the specs for this from Tractor Supply - this contains a "new organic molybdenum compound for high lubricity and anti-wear
properties, without the black staining of original MOLY."

There are two other Liquid Wrench products that contain "Cerflon" which I assume is a brand name of Teflon, that might do the same thing... one even claims to be a chain and cable lubricant- L112, and L512.

No longer recommended.

I can't say whether or not any of the others work. I just know that the one we sell has been tested and works.

Bigtyme
02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I found a lube with the molybdenum as its main part from yamaha called "yamalube". It is very reasonably priced for a pretty good sized tube. I have about 75 hours since applying it (sparingly) and the shaft runs barely warm. I have had a couple 7 hour carves and watch it closely, but no issues.

Underdog
02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Lynn,

What is no longer recommended? The original LW L716 with Moly, or the L711 with organic Moly?

And why is it no longer recommended?

Underdog
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
John,
Is that a grease then? I thought that grease was not a good idea since it wouldn't penetrate to the core of the cable?

Bigtyme
02-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Underdog,
There was an earlier thread several months ago where that concern was raised and I wondered the same, but when I put it on, I work it in pretty well and it certainly hasn't seemed to cause any problems. I do think the LHR recommendation is probably the best, but I had already had the yamalube and thought I would give it a shot....

bergerud
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Lynn,

What is no longer recommended? The original LW L716 with Moly, or the L711 with organic Moly?

And why is it no longer recommended?

I believe it was LHR who tested the new L711 and reported that it was not as good as the old L716. I have a few cans of the old L716 and have been using it for my 650 hour and still going flexshaft.

Underdog
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
After Lynn posted I finally found the lube the LHR sells. Hadn't seen it on the website before. Maybe I'll just buy that when I buy the necessaries for my chuck upgrade...

Thanks for all the input.

If anyone has used the ones I mention, please let me know.