PDA

View Full Version : Heard a "zip" noise when moving Y axis by hand... did I mess it up?

Underdog
02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
I was checking sensors on the machine a couple nights ago, and when I moved the Y axis, I must have pulled a little too hard and fast, because I heard a "zip" noise like a cogged belt had slipped.

The sensor still registers a change and gently moving the axis returned no more noises...

I figure I'll have to recalibrate that Y axis, since the sensor reads zero somewhere in the middle of the travel, but did I do any damage to the machine?

bergerud
02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
If something did slip, it will reset the zero and continue as normal next project start. Calibration is not required. One might worry, however, about what is loose enough to have slipped. You should check the y belt tension and the meshing clearance of the y gears.

henry1
02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
hey bergerud did ever have a problem with the cut motor not stopping when you press on the stop button cut moter don't stop but when you lift the cover it stops , I put new brush and open the motor and clean it I am stuck now what to look for I did a test on the cut motor and ask you press any key to stop it it don't but when you lift the cover it stops ??!!!

badbert
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I had that problem once. But next carve it went away!

bergerud
02-15-2013, 02:20 PM
hey bergerud did ever have a problem with the cut motor not stopping when you press on the stop button cut moter don't stop but when you lift the cover it stops , I put new brush and open the motor and clean it I am stuck now what to look for I did a test on the cut motor and ask you press any key to stop it it don't but when you lift the cover it stops ??!!!

Yes, that happens to me from time to time. Sometimes it stops and then restarts on its own and opening the cover or powering off is all you can do. It has to be a computer issue not related to your brush change. Re flash the card is all I can think of.

henry1
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
thank you for replying

Underdog
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
How do I politely ask this?

Can we not hijack each other's threads? Is it too much to ask to keep on topic, and post a differnt topic or question in our own thread?

bergerud
02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Sorry about the tangent. Did you find anything loose to explain the "zip"?

Underdog
02-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Haven't looked at it yet. Not yet home. I'll definitely be looking it over tomorrow.

chief2007
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Haven't looked at it yet. Not yet home. I'll definitely be looking it over tomorrow.

Take a look at the y belt tensioner and make sure it's not loose.

That sometimes will cause the slippage

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
As for the reading 0000 when you call up the Y data where ever the head is when you select the Y Axis will BE 0000. It auto homes or calibrates when you turn the machine on and start the process of selecting a project. The Z will bump the upper stop and that is HOME 0000 and the Y bumps into the keypad side of the machine and that is 0000.

The Zip you heard was most likely the power was still on and the Y Servo was still holding it's position by the servo motor. With the motor holding and you pressing the Y along the track the bearings are worn inside the gearbox and the gear is leaning toward the center of the machine and AWAY from the Servo Shaft and it Zlipped.... or (Zip)slipped teeth on the big plastic gear...
:-P
AL

Underdog
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
The bearings are worn? With only two hours on the machine?
Hopefully not...

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
The bearings are worn? With only two hours on the machine?
Hopefully not...

A member since 2013 with 27 posts... MY BAD.... Didn't realize that you only had 2 hours on the machine.... Blame it on the "New Machine Smell".... My bad...

I knew you had bought a 4 year old "B" model with low hours.... But never thought it was that low....

Good Luck,

AL

cestout
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
You might want to try 0 then 8 on the machine keypad. That wil let you test all three, X, Y & Z. The machine will give you numbers and I have no idea what they mean, but the machine will move the belts and trucks all the way thru their travel . You can watch and listen for problems.
Clint

badbert
02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
With only two hours on the machine and having been transported as much as that machine has... It is hard to tell. The screws might have come loose for the Y motor. One of the bearings might have been frozen... I do believe we had someone post a premature Y bearing failure her a few weeks ago. Remember if the machine is plugged in and on the Y and Z trucks are very difficult to move quickly by hand. You could have broke something. I would definitely pull the Y motor and check the belt and gears.

Underdog
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
I was busy with another project, but yesterday I took a brief look at the Y axis, and noticed that the belt seemed loose. I'll have to check it further this week, but I bet I could just loosen the tensioner screw and re-tighten and it would take care of the problem. I'll check the gears and belt just to make sure, but I think it's just a loose belt.

Thanks for all the replies!

badbert
02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
That would be good news!! And we all strive to help here! This is one of the best communities I belong to!

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
And since you bought the machine used, check the Serial Number of the machine on the LCD with the sticker on the frame... Someone could have had a computer problem and LHR sold them a new Computer.... Hence the low number...

Just Curious...

AL

Underdog
02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Nah. It's the right SN.

The story was the guy bought this for his retirement, broke a bit due to operator error on the first run, shelved it after ordering parts, and never got back to it. Bought a Legacy CNC ornamental mill instead, then sold this thing to me.