PDA

View Full Version : What chuck system do you use for your carbide cutting/carving bits

lawrence
02-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I REALLY am not meaning to start any kind of arguement here about carbide bits in press on adapters vs not, but am truly curious as to what the numbers are of folks using the different chuck methods. Voting tabs are attached (If I can figure out how to make them work!)

Thanks in advance,

V/r
Lawrence

badbert
02-14-2013, 11:31 PM
I have a 3 1/2 horsepower Craftsman professional router. It cam with a 1/4 split adapter. It also has two cracks that allow it to hinge. It works well. No place in my routers manual does it give any warning about carbide bits. I am always very careful to put the collet in the right position relative to CarveTight's wedge.

CarverJerry
02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Being a machinist for 40 years and the entire time have used both high speed steel tools and carbide tools I VERY seldom ever encountered a slippage problem. But I did always keep a piece of chaulk in my tool box and if a tool seemed to slip for some strange reason I would put a little chalk on the shank and put it back in and would always take care of the problem which only happened once in every other Blue Moon. I do love my Rock chuck and Never had a bit slip on me.

Underdog
02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for doing this Lawrence. And thanks to those who responded. I'm quite curious to see the results too. I'm wondering how many of you using the split collets with carbide bits have ever had trouble with slipping?

And if so, did you find the problem to be solved by taking note of the collet's split position and correctly orienting it as shown in badbert's illustration above?

cestout
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Under my router table I have a 1/2"- 1/4" craftsman router (twist adjust, not plunge). The 1/4" collet split so I was looking to replace it. I can get a replacement referb router for about $2 less than a replacement collet! So now I use a split collet from my CarveWright.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Other, 1/4 inch Rock Chuck ONLY, no need for sleeve.

AL

dehrlich
02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
So will the Carvetight bits with the sleeve work in the Rock? I am using a 1/2" Rock and wondered if they would work or not.

unitedcases
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I have used the 3/16 carving bit in my rock. I can't speak for any other but though. I assume yes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

eelamb
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes the CW bits with the pressed on collet will work in the rock. I have heard some get errors with the "C" machine using the 1/8" cutting bit and pressed on collet. Those using this method may want to let others know or their experience.

lawrence
02-15-2013, 07:51 PM
I have used the 3/16 carving bit in my rock. I can't speak for any other but though. I assume yes.

same here +1

Lawrence

02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Has anyone come up with a split collet for using 1/8" shank bits in the CarveTight? Has anyone used the collet chuck from Soigeneris?
http://www.soigeneris.com/precisebits_er16_collet_adapter-details.aspx

Underdog
02-16-2013, 10:21 PM
It has come to my attention that some folks thought the carbide bits in question were the decorative bits that have a steel shank, but brazed on carbide.

I believe the poll's intent was to determine whether anyone uses the split collet with the solid carbide bits; for example, the 1/8 straight bit, and the 1/16 tapered ballnose carving bit.

Do you?

unitedcases
02-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Here goes, I hope I am on track with his thread. I use a split collet 1/2 to 3/16 for my 3/16 carving bit, also have a 1/4 to 1/8 for a couple of those size bits. I can give no feedback on the 1/8 cutting as I gave up on that years ago. I use the rock obviously and get my 1/16 carving bits from soi generis and I get my 3/16 from the carbide store and I use a 1/2 shank 60 degree cmt bit for lettering. No slippage and absolutely no problems whatsoever. I backspin my bits now and again for some sharpness. I run the machine pretty hard. I do a 200 hr vice 250 and that happens at a minimum every 2 months. If not sooner. I hope I answered that correctly. If not, sorry.

Underdog
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
UnitedCases, thanks for the reponse, that's useful information. So to confirm, you use the split collet for solid carbide as well as brazed carbide bits with steel shank bits?

What do you mean that you "backspin" your bits? I've been curious if anyone has their bits resharpened.

unitedcases
02-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Correct. My 3/16 carving bit sits in a split collet and I have a couple 1/8 but honestly I hardly ever use those. My 3/16 gets a workout.

Kjtwilliams did a you tube video a while back on how to touch up your bits. All you do is chuck them in your drill and spin in reverse against a good diamond stone.

Underdog
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
So basically just an OD resharp/jointing action then. Then how to get clearance angle? Has anyone any experience with a commercial resharp?

unitedcases
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I only do what he actually showed. Never missed with tip to see what that would do.