PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about cutting dados

jmoriearty
02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm working on a patter to make a Wahoo board, they are pretty popular down south and sell very well. The pattern is pretty easy so far. I have the holes set up to drill and a routed octagon line around the board to give it the traditional board look. I am going to try to make the board itself a sliding top for the box that contains the marbles and for that I need to cut dados. So, my question is, if I draw a rectangle across the width of the board and set it as the carve area .25 deep, will that cause any problems with the carve? Also, this pattern has several cross cuts on it so that I can use one board for everything but the bottom of the box. Do you have a problem with multiple cross cuts causing the board to sag and have feed issues? My machine is currently down waiting on a cut motor or I would try it myself and see how it went. I figured someone else has done something similar before, it may save a little time and wood.

Thanks for all the help guys!

DickB
02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
I think the machine is going to complain. The rollers are going to drop into the rectangle carves across the width of the board and probably give a fault. You didn't say you were using a sled, and at 14" wide for the board you wouldn't have much room for one, but a sled with 1/2" or wider rails would solve that problem. Also without a sled the cuts across the board would cause the bit to hit the brass roller and that's a no go. And yes without a sled cuts across the board would be a weakness and likely cause problems. I would not use the carving bit for dados due to the taper of the bit. Cut dados with a straight bit or add cleanup lines with a straight bit.

jmoriearty
02-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks Dick, don't know why I didn't think of any of that......a little brain dead I guess! I'll just make the top in the CW, the box parts are easy anyway. Thanks man!

chebytrk
02-15-2013, 07:56 AM
I find this topic of particular interest so please keep posting your progress. I have a Wahoo board that my father made when I was a young cub scout (many moons ago). I often wondered about one day trying to make one & add art designs to the board. Only immediate difference I see is that his board is bigger so might have to make the board in 2 pieces. Maybe make a chinese checker board on back? Just a thought....

chebytrk
02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe making the Wahoo board something like this? Set up as 2 pieces and then glue together. Each piece is 24x13x.750 Just foolin' around to see if it can be made a little bigger.

jmoriearty
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Nice idea! I like that a lot. Most of the boards I have seen at craft shows are a little bit smaller, but a bigger board would look a lot nicer. I was just guessing and playing with the holes and sizes, I didn't have one handy to measure. What size are the holes in the board you have?

I am definitely going to be making these. They are a good consistent seller for a lot of people. There used to be a guy that sold them at one of the craft malls I rent at. He sold 3-5 a week throughout the year but retired not too long ago. It would be nice to be able to offer them to his old customer base so they keep shopping at the store.

Awesome design on the Wahoo too....thanks for the help!

loban
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Maybe something like this. I added four holes for magnets, carve regions to hold marbles and dice and lid the can have a patttern on the top.
Nothing is measured to spec. just a idea.

aokweld101
02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
I've lived in fl. for 30yrs now and heard of the wahoo board but would someone explane how it works and the rules sincerly yours ...signed... this damn yakee lol

jmoriearty
02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
If you have ever played "Sorry", it's pretty close to the same game.

chebytrk
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
60045 60046

Here's another board game that was uploaded on this forum a long time ago. You might be able to use the marble holes in it to use on the wahoo board.

jmoriearty
02-16-2013, 05:50 PM
60045 60046

Here's another board game that was uploaded on this forum a long time ago. You might be able to use the marble holes in it to use on the wahoo board.

Thanks tons! It's good to have friendly neighbors....lol.

chebytrk
02-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Anytime. Let's just keep each other updated on the wahoo board project. It might be cool to either put this Gotcha game board on the back of the wahoo board or maybe even a Chinese checker game. That way we'll make it a "2fer". LOL

jmoriearty
02-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Anytime. Let's just keep each other updated on the wahoo board project. It might be cool to either put this Gotcha game board on the back of the wahoo board or maybe even a Chinese checker game. That way we'll make it a "2fer". LOL

Sounds like a good plan to me. Either that or cut some walnut and maple squares and glue up a checker board for the back. There's a lot to do with that one, just have to watch the time consumption on the project. It's one of those things that would be easy to sink more time into than you can get in sales.

Sometimes I wished that I lived more in your neck of the woods, you have so many craft and trade shows available to you there. Lubbock is much more limited. Of course, there is much less competition here too. I guess it works out. Thanks again.

chebytrk
02-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Maybe we can try 1 project as a 2 sided carve & place the Gotcha board on back & get an estimate on the total carve time by uploading to a card. That way we see if it's even worth doing a 2 sided carve keeping in mind that it's going to take 2 boards regardless since we're making 2ea halves of the Wahoo board & gluing together. I also have a pattern of a checker board that could be placed on the back.

badbert
02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
If you have ever played "Sorry", it's pretty close to the same game.

I have been married 26 years... I have "played" sorry many times!! LOL

jmoriearty
02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
I have been married 26 years... I have "played" sorry many times!! LOL

I'm with you on that one! I was married 15 years, but I eventually corrected the mistake. I haven't been sorry since! LOL!