PDA

View Full Version : Bit length and z axis stalls

Rocky
02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Lately, I've been getting Z Axis stalls. In searching various threads they seem to be relating the stalls to bit length and use of the Rock chuck. I have a rock chuck, but I've never run into this problem before. Could it be something to do with CarveWright's latest software/firmware updates?

Can anyone point me to a thread that zeroes in on this and shows solutions?

Thanks,

unitedcases
02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Last time I had that happen my carriage bearings were frozen.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Rocky
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. There's another thread dealing with this that I found, but my old brain can't seem to follow what their saying regarding bit length, position, etc., etc.

skeeterman
02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Rocky I had to run several test with the 1/8 cutoff bit in my version c Carvewright , I found that the bit could only stick out from the collar face from 1" to 1 1/16" , any longer or shorter and I would get the z axis stall
Also found out I could not use the 3/16" carving bit that has the sleeve pressed on from Carvewright in this machine either because it is to long.
Seems only to be on the version c machine
Hope this helps
Steve

jpaluck
02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Steve had the same problem with the 3/8 bit here also..too long

skeeterman
02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
I guess we Are SOL on being able to get these bits to work . Does anyone have a solution?

lawrence
02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I used my 3/8 bit in my rock chuck today (partially because of this thread- my 3/8 bit is the only one I have with a pressed on adapter) It worked for me and I'm using the newest software/firmware... maybe there is something else we're missing but I think the firmware is ok

Lawrence

Rocky
02-15-2013, 04:50 AM
I'm still searching this forum for this problem..."Z axis stall E06-0313". I found this comment from a member:

"Classic FFC Cable failure...." What is the FFC cable...anyone else think this could be the problem?

Thanks,

henry1
02-15-2013, 06:14 AM
more info do you have rock chuck or the CT also your bit could be to long it will do it if you have the rock chuck ? also the FFC is the ribbon behind the Z motor

Rocky
02-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Yes, I have the Rock chuck. I assume my machine is a "B" since serial number begins with a "B".

mtylerfl
02-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Yes, I have the Rock chuck. I assume my machine is a "B" since serial number begins with a "B".

Rocky,

Contact Ron Justice (maker of the Rock). Perhaps he has a solution for you.

Rocky
02-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Rocky,

Contact Ron Justice (maker of the Rock). Perhaps he has a solution for you.

Michael, I will contact him. However, I have had this Rock chuck for almost 4 years and never had this problem until lately.

Thanks for responding,

RMarkey
02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Replace any parts lately... like the tracking roller?

Rocky
02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Replace any parts lately... like the tracking roller?

Not lately. The last 2 items I replaced (both about 2 years ago) was a sandpaper belt and the micro switch "under the hood".

henry1
02-15-2013, 11:24 AM
on your tracking roller when the bit goes down to check the depht is there a hole were the bit touches on the tracking roller

Rocky
02-15-2013, 12:18 PM
on your tracking roller when the bit goes down to check the depht is there a hole were the bit touches on the tracking roller

Yes, next to the little brass roller there is a piece of plastic (it looks like plastic) with a little hole in it. When I try to carve, at some point the bit goes down and it seems to go part way into the hole.

Thanks for responding,

lawrence
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Put a dime over this hole and try again... "the dime trick"

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Since this is really a Computer Problem where the number of pulses from the top mechanical stop of the Z to the bit touching the bit plate is NOT HAPPY.... The Computer is looking for a number between XXXX and XXXX and your numbers is outside that limit causing the fault.

A few weeks ago I tried to get some interest in posting the numbers of working Rock Chucks or A, B, and C but most C have the CT.

Because the standard test for the board sensor is white copy paper where your paper is the same as my paper.... The standard for the Z Stall should be the Z Data between the top post and touching the plate. You start with the head up touching the stop and select Z data on the LCD. This sets 0000 at top mechanical stop, another standard... Then make the measurement to the bit plate.

A measurement of bit length in inches from chuck is like brown wood for a board sensor standard. Everyone's wood brown can be different and if the bit plate is BENT down this contributes to the confusion.

You must think like the machine thinks to solve this problem... :-P

Good Luck,

AL

Have a WORKING ROCK Chuck with the 1/8th inch and the 3/16 post the Z Data... THAT is the number that the program is looking for...

Rocky
02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Here's a bit more "data". I remembered that about a year ago I was trying to carve a piece of Corian and the CW kept stopping; the Corian was dark brown. The CW wasn't recognizing "something", so I gave up. That got me to thinking that the dark walnut I'm now using might be causing CW readings to be wrong. So, I replaced the piece of Walnut with a piece of Cherry. I didn't get a Z-Axis error and the piece is now carving as expected, BUT, I'm not claiming success because when the CW was doing its thing before the carve started I noticed that the carving bit went down and actually hit the round bar where the wood guide is attached (the guide that slides back and forth to secure the wood). The bit hitting that bar doesn't seem to be a good thing.

I haven't tried the suggested dime maneuver yet. What is the theory behind that.

Thanks, folks,

Rocky
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Since this is really a Computer Problem where the number of pulses from the top mechanical stop of the Z to the bit touching the bit plate is NOT HAPPY.... The Computer is looking for a number between XXXX and XXXX and your numbers is outside that limit causing the fault.

A few weeks ago I tried to get some interest in posting the numbers of working Rock Chucks or A, B, and C but most C have the CT.

Because the standard test for the board sensor is white copy paper where your paper is the same as my paper.... The standard for the Z Stall should be the Z Data between the top post and touching the plate. You start with the head up touching the stop and select Z data on the LCD. This sets 0000 at top mechanical stop, another standard... Then make the measurement to the bit plate.

A measurement of bit length in inches from chuck is like brown wood for a board sensor standard. Everyone's wood brown can be different and if the bit plate is BENT down this contributes to the confusion.

Good Luck,

AL

Have a WORKING ROCK Chuck with the 1/8th inch and the 3/16 post the Z Data... THAT is the number that the program is looking for...

Al,

My brain isn't following exactly what you're saying (sorry). Can you "dumb it down" for and provide some step by step instructions to accomplish what needs to be down? I don't want to go into the LCD and screw things up.

Thanks,

dehrlich
02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
I had this problem yesterday. I am using a Rock chuck in my A machine for the first time. After looking on the forum I did discover the problem was the bit being too long. Only the 1/8" cutting bit caused the problem, and as long as it was inserted into the adapter about as far as possible, meaning just before the taper gets to the bottom lip of the adapter, it worked fine. I saw where a few people talked about putting a dime in the hole on the squaring plate where the bit homes, but I didn't know if they meant on top of or under the plate and rather than break a new bit, I didn't experiment. Perhaps someone else can clear that up.

henry1
02-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Good Luck,

AL

Al hope you can answer my question I just posted asking bergerud about the cut moter not stopping when you press stop button and you lift the cover it stops

Rocky
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Ok, the carve using the cherry finished on the one side (using the 1/16" carving bit). I flipped the board for the cutout and used my 1/8" cutting bit next. This part of the carve went fine (and, the cutting bit is actually about 1/4" longer than the carving bit...go figure).

Also, I forgot to mention that I did a quick carve (a sign using a 90 degree bit) and it carved normally.

I appreciate the feedback Al provided, but I'm not sure what to do there.

Thanks,

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2013, 07:04 PM
To review, we need to make the bit length for the 1/8th Cutting Bit the same as what the CT bits are as that is the number the computer will be happy with.

IF the bit is longer or shorter than the CT bit than the machine will fault out.

To fix this have a way to make sure that when you install the 1/8th bit in the same location every time. So a Locking Ring or O Ring and Glue is required.

Then play with the length... MOST likely your 1/8th inch bit is installed TOO LONG but only by a small amount... SO KEEP moving it UP making it SHORTER and try again... YOU will eventually find the length that works....

Good Luck,

AL

eelamb
02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Al. I agree with you 100%. Originally when I replaced the qc with the rock, I marked every bit before removing the adapter, and started from that location, using an O-ring. Once I got through the load bit failure (if I got one), I put a drop of CA glue on the underside of the O-ring (side towards the cutting edge).

skeeterman
02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
It works fine if you can set the length of the bit, but if you have the 3/16 carving bit that you purchase from LHR it has a set length and will not work in this situation on the version C machines. The version A machines there are no problems with using the longer bit.

Rocky
02-16-2013, 04:07 AM
To review, we need to make the bit length for the 1/8th Cutting Bit the same as what the CT bits are as that is the number the computer will be happy with.

IF the bit is longer or shorter than the CT bit than the machine will fault out.

To fix this have a way to make sure that when you install the 1/8th bit in the same location every time. So a Locking Ring or O Ring and Glue is required.

Then play with the length... MOST likely your 1/8th inch bit is installed TOO LONG but only by a small amount... SO KEEP moving it UP making it SHORTER and try again... YOU will eventually find the length that works....

Good Luck,

AL

Thanks Al, I'll give this a try.

Rocky
02-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to give Al's approach a try. After reading all your feedback, I'm becoming more convinced that a recent change in the CW software/firmware is causing the problem. Like I said, I have had the Rock chuck for over 4 years and never had this problem until recently. Perhaps fine tuning the software/firmware for the CT is making it more difficult for the the Rock chuck to function as it did in the past.

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I am still running 1.184. It IS possible that the newer programs have tightened the 1/8th bit length. Would like to hear from other users that have upgraded the Designer but still use a Rock. Does it still work with a 1/8th inch bit?

AL

Rocky
02-16-2013, 03:08 PM
I am still running 1.184. It IS possible that the newer programs have tightened the 1/8th bit length. Would like to hear from other users that have upgraded the Designer but still use a Rock. Does it still work with a 1/8th inch bit?

AL

Al,

I'm not having a problem with the 1/8" cutting bit. The only bit giving me a problem (at least for now) is the 1/16" carving bit. In fact, the 1/8" cutting bit extends about 1/4" farther from the Rock chuck than does the 1/16" carving bit.

Thanks,