PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck or Carvetight? And a couple other questions...

Underdog
02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I bought a used CW model B the other day. Now that it's here I want to install the belt upgrade that came with it but was never installed. As well, I want to purchase a replacement chuck for the QC. I believe the QC was the reason this machine sat on the shelf 4 or 5 years after a bit broke on the first run. This thing only has a couple hours on it.

So I'm wondering which chuck I should buy- the Rock Chuck or the Carvetight chuck?

And is the "1/2 Rock Bit Adapter" on this webpage the 1/2" Rock chuck, or is an adapter that fits on the chuck?

http://www.cw-parts.com/page2.html

Does the software now support entering our own bits? Or are we stuck with the stock items in the Designer software?

If we're stuck with the stock bit catalog, then how do I find compatible bits? And what do I do with the carbide bits that fit the QC chuck? What do I need to do to replace those?

The machine also came with replacement bits for the QC, which if I remember correctly is a tapered 1/6" bit, a 1/4" ballnose, and a 1/8" straight bit. Also it came with a complete 11pc. decorative bit set with the QC adapters. Do those adapters come off?

Last but not least, I've got limited funds and need to get the most bang for my buck. Which of these options will be the least expensive?

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
It is best to plan to get the 1/16th Carving Bits and the 1/8th Cutting Bits from LHR. There are other sources too but that keeps it simple.

The Rock is sensitive with the 1/8th inch bit, you need to install it to the correct length or you get a Z Stall. But it is easy once you find the correct length. I post the bits I use, the top one is a 1/16th End Mill that I cut plastic tags with. I actually tell the machine I have installed the 1/4 inch bull nose bit but use the 1/16th end mill and that locks the Vector Line Cuts to it's slowest feed rate.

The Bit Adapters do come off the bit set and can be used in the rock with a locking ring just so when you put it in every time at the same length.

I would save your money on the bit set... At least for now.... You need the Carving bit and the cutting bit then get a V60 and a V90 for Centerline Text. For the money, I would invest in Centerline Text before the bit set... I have only used the bits pictured for my projects.

Lots posted about the ROCK and the CT... Both have Advantages.... I work in 1/4 inch shank so the rock works for me plus I have a 1/2 inch end too if I need it...

For the CT you will need sleeves for the bits. I get my bits from MCLS but many bits will work...

I don't use a locking ring on the End Mill as it is always a 1 bit project... Cut tags...

More will chime in to help you decide.

Good Luck and if I missed it... WELCOME !!!!,

AL

fwharris
02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
See my comments in blue...

I bought a used CW model B the other day. Now that it's here I want to install the belt upgrade that came with it but was never installed. As well, I want to purchase a replacement chuck for the QC. I believe the QC was the reason this machine sat on the shelf 4 or 5 years after a bit broke on the first run. This thing only has a couple hours on it.

So I'm wondering which chuck I should buy- the Rock Chuck or the Carvetight chuck?

And is the "1/2 Rock Bit Adapter" on this webpage the 1/2" Rock chuck, or is an adapter that fits on the chuck?

http://www.cw-parts.com/page2.html

Does the software now support entering our own bits? Or are we stuck with the stock items in the Designer software? You can not change the bit selection in designer.

If we're stuck with the stock bit catalog, then how do I find compatible bits? And what do I do with the carbide bits that fit the QC chuck? What do I need to do to replace those?

The machine also came with replacement bits for the QC, which if I remember correctly is a tapered 1/6" bit, a 1/4" ballnose, and a 1/8" straight bit. Also it came with a complete 11pc. decorative bit set with the QC adapters. Do those adapters come off? Yes the QC adapters can be removed. You will probably need to soften the loctite on the set screws. Some will heat in the oven or with a heat gun. All of these bits can be used in either chuck. The 1/4" shank bits will need the 1/4" collet for the CarveTight and the same if you go with the 1/2" rock chuck. The 1/2" shank bits will fit the CT chuck as it is sized at 1/2".

Last but not least, I've got limited funds and need to get the most bang for my buck. Which of these options will be the least expensive? For the CT chuck you will get $40.00 back when you send the old truck back. CarveWright also recommends you go with the pressed on sleeves for the 1/16" carving and 1/8" cutting bits.

unitedcases
02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Rock.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

lynnfrwd
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
A lot of folks on this forum switched to the rock before LHR came out with the CarveTight.

So I'm going to vote, too.

CarveTight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eelamb
02-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes many went with the rock before the carvetight was introduced, but even today I would choose the rock. I do not want to start a long debate, just MHO.
Underdog, no one will tell you what to do versus price. You will need to research this yourself. Each LHR and Ron has the prices on their sites. Questions as to needs of each chuck should be addressed towards each of the makers. Both have advantages, and disadvantages. As to the rock and setting the bit to the proper length, I use O-rings, with a drop of CA glue. Has not failed me yet, nor have I ever gotten a bit error in loading. Plus I use 4 flute bits.

mtylerfl
02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
I vote for the CarveTight. Fewer issues with bit length/bit loading errors (primarily because it is 'spec' for the machine), performs well (flawlessly, for me so far), plus it removes a point of confusion if you need to contact tech support...if you use the CarveTight at least the Tech won't have to wonder whether the use of the Rock Chuck is a possible consideration whilst troubleshooting. Either chuck works well, but think carefully before deciding.

henry1
02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes many went with the rock before the carvetight was introduced, but even today I would choose the rock. I do not want to start a long debate, just MHO.
Underdog, no one will tell you what to do versus price. You will need to research this yourself. Each LHR and Ron has the prices on their sites. Questions as to needs of each chuck should be addressed towards each of the makers. Both have advantages, and disadvantages. As to the rock and setting the bit to the proper length, I use O-rings, with a drop of CA glue. Has not failed me yet, nor have I ever gotten a bit error in loading. Plus I use 4 flute bits.
Have to agree love my RC

chebytrk
02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I have both the RC and the CT. I was one of those that purchased the Rock Chuck when it first came out. It was a great thing and still is. However, I upgraded a 2d CW with the CT and it worked just as good. I sold that CW and have now purchased a "C" machine that comes with the CT and it's working great. I have nothing bad to say about either the CT or the RC. The RC was needed badly during the time of the Quick Chuck and it solved the problem for many although not everyone had a problem with the QC. As I mentioned, they both work great for me and I'm glad I have both. I will say that I honestly like the 1/2 to 1/4 adapter for the RC (seems to be a stronger material) than I do for the CT, but that's just me and they both work fine. So...... it's up to you to decide.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2013, 12:19 PM
A lot of folks on this forum switched to the rock before LHR came out with the CarveTight.

So I'm going to vote, too.

CarveTight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CT does make things simpler for some and is a quality product.

If you get a 2nd machine that has a CT switching the first to a CT makes sense.

Anyone switching to a CT from a Rock, I am interested in buying used Rocks.

AL

fwharris
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
The CT does make things simpler for some and is a quality product.

If you get a 2nd machine that has a CT switching the first to a CT makes sense.

Anyone switching to a CT from a Rock, I am interested in buying used Rocks.

AL

Al,

I have a guy in Denver who might want to do that. He just did an upgrade package.

cestout
02-14-2013, 06:28 PM
As Connie said, the Rock was a good stop-gap until the CT was developed, but I vote for the CT. The rock is a good work-around, but the CT is and integral part of the machine. No offence Ron, you did what was needed at the time and many are grateful.
Clint

Rick P
02-19-2013, 10:57 PM
I was one of the torch holders in the march against the QC a few years ago. When I installed the "Rock" the CW become fun.
I've never used the new CT. My Rock is going strong.

Underdog
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh. Where are my manners?

Thank you all for your responses and information.

I have decided to purchase the CT, and attempt to use the rock collet with my carbide bits. If that does not work, I can always purchase CWs bits for this spindle.
The new spindle and sleeve are supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime, but it'll be next week before I can start installing the upgrades to my machine. I have a woodburning project/class this weekend... Gotta get a plate turned in the next coupla nights...

Underdog
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh.. and it better work, because I'm OUT of money. I have $11 left in the hobby account. :eek:

lawrence
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Oh.. and it better work, because I'm OUT of money. I have $11 left in the hobby account. :eek:

Don't worry, once you get your machine up and running your hobby account will start to fill up again quickly... (I just got orders for another 4 tail flashes)

Lawrence

rickyz
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
the rock chuck collet will work in the ct. have an "a" machine with the rock chuck and a recon "c" machine with the carve tight. Love them both and the bits and collets work in either machine.

Oh. Where are my manners?

Thank you all for your responses and information.

I have decided to purchase the CT, and attempt to use the rock collet with my carbide bits. If that does not work, I can always purchase CWs bits for this spindle.
The new spindle and sleeve are supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime, but it'll be next week before I can start installing the upgrades to my machine. I have a woodburning project/class this weekend... Gotta get a plate turned in the next coupla nights...