PDA

View Full Version : Newest creation

unitedcases
02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
This is my latest attempt at some inlaying. I took my scanned AH-1W cobra tail rotor blade and shrunk it down 50%. Now, to make it a bit more appealing instead of making patterns on top of the blade like I normally do I chose to make some small inlays out of maple. This is unfinished of course, but I will post more pictures as I get it completed. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

jmoriearty
02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Awesome craftsmanship! Looks like a lot of hard work and planning on that one!

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
That shows SO MUCH CREATIVITY.... That is such a flexible design and the inlay lets you make SO MANY different Custom Designs.... I bet you could make a nice business out of that design getting the word out to guys that have served in the past along with current....

And another thought since I am full of Useless ideas tonight.... How about a Cribbage Board VERSION.....?

Now this will blow your mind.... Make the inlays from Cast Acrylic and paint.... ILLUMINATE them from the EDGE.... with LEDS.... OR fiber optic bundled to a LED Source. I bought clear fiber optic that looks like Weed Wacker String on eBay.

And NO they are just talking about legalizing Wacky Weed in PA this week.... :-D I am Stone Sober.... :cool:

AL

Another thought... Be Aware of Expansion and Contraction... And the way the grain runs... I had a Inlaid Ceramic Tile SNAP in half due to heating on the sun side of the sign.... Allow enough room for wood movement and try to limit the RTV or what ever you use on the back of the inlay to the center. I think part of my problem was trying to SEAL the edges of the tile, TOO much restriction....

chief2007
02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
OOAH!

Looks great, will be looking for the photos when it's finished.

unitedcases
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't do a true inlay so to speak. I make sure there is a good bit room all around them. They are very loose in other words. This is only my second one but I think it really opened up some doors with my rotor blade business. Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone.

unitedcases
02-21-2013, 04:44 AM
Here is the finished product. Not much to it really. I just sanded it and put a few coats of poly on it.

chief2007
02-21-2013, 05:43 AM
That turned out great! Great contrast with the woods.

unitedcases
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks chief. I am still working my squadron ribbons that I am trying to carve so hopefully that will be my next upload. I shut down for the week as I am finally finishing my wiring project for my building. No more drop cords for this guy!