PDA

View Full Version : Differences in machines.....will this one work???

jmoriearty
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
My girlfriend's grandfather has an old compucarve that he never used, still in the box. I know absolutely nothing about this machine, but he wants me to have it. I've barely started using my new Carvewright, so I'm far from an expert on these machines. What kinds of challenges am I looking at using the two different machines in my shop as far as software and maintenance go?

eelamb
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Many on here have A machines, and either B or C. Using either will be the same. May need to upgrade the chuck to the rock or the carvetight, and even the FFC cable with the upgrade. But you will see no problems moving between either.

jmoriearty
02-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Many on here have A machines, and either B or C. Using either will be the same. May need to upgrade the chuck to the rock or the carvetight, and even the FCS cable with the upgrade. But you will see no problems moving between either.

Awesome, thanks! Good to know!

fwharris
02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Eddie is right about the need for a chuck upgrade and probably the ffc cable if it has not had the a907 z truck upgrade. You can not change to the 14 pin cable with out also doing the other components that go with it or you will fry other components.

Seems there are still a lot of those "we bought the machine and it is still in the box" out there. Met several at the Denver show... :-(

lynnfrwd
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I get that all of the time. Couldn't imagine dropping that much cash and not taking it out of box for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Right...I buy a box of screws and I can barely make it home before I open them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

badbert
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
My girlfriend's grandfather has an old compucarve that he never used, still in the box. I know absolutely nothing about this machine, but he wants me to have it. I've barely started using my new Carvewright, so I'm far from an expert on these machines. What kinds of challenges am I looking at using the two different machines in my shop as far as software and maintenance go?

There are just too many differences for it to be feasible! I will help you out with that problem... Just give it to me and you won't have to worry! :)

TerryT
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Your girlfriend's grandfather is very generous. At that price you can afford to do the upgrades and still have a very inexpensive machine.

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
He's a good guy. He has a full shop and no boys in the family to leave it to. He was so excited that his grand daughter was planning on marrying a wood worker instead of a doctor that he couldn't see straight....lol. He's gotten too old and has to many physical problems to use the tools anymore. I will probably be making a trip to Georgia this year to visit them and to take the tools back home to my shop before he nags me to death about them. He's a helluva good guy.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll hit you all up for advice when I get it.....expect a phone call Connie.....lol.

lynnfrwd
02-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Now I'm wondering who your girlfriends grandfather is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Underdog
02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah me too... And I'm here in Georgia waiting on my (used, almost new) CW to be delivered. It was basically run once, bit broke, parts ordered, then shelved for four years. Same kinda story..

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Connie, I doubt you would know him. He never used the machine. Honestly, he probably bought it from a going out of business sale or something like that. He's one of those people that buy anything if it's a good enough deal and then never touches it.....lol. He's a good guy though. He's tickled to have a wood worker / guitar picker for a future son in law. She works in the medical field and he was scared she would end up with a doctor! LOL!