PDA

View Full Version : Inside led lighting

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 09:29 AM
A while back I remembered someone put a pic of their inside led lighting job they did to their machine. I was wondering if whoever that was could come forward or if anyone could help. I have the backlit lcd which is awesome but I could use a little light on the inside of the machine. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

CarverJerry
02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah I added a row of led's to the inside of my machine. I use the same ones in the shadow boxes for my lithopanes too. I purchased these lights off eBay, they come on a small real like the old movie films. I ran the power cord out the slot where the flex cable goes and used hot glue to hold it in place. Sure does add a lot of light. Hope this helps out.

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
That actually does help a lot. Do you know which ones you purchased? There a ton of them on eBay.

chebytrk
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Also, is the light strip wired in to the CW for power? I've seen that some others have done this before, but seem to remember (not sure) that at the time the cost for a reel of lights was a little costly?

fwharris
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Lets see if this link works for the lights..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=+5M+White+SMD+3528+Flexible+300p+LED+Strip+Li ght+Lamp+FS&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Power supplies..
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=LOT+10+CCTV+Camera+Power+Adapter+12V+ 1A&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=LOT+10+CCTV+Camera+Power+Adapter+12V+1A&_sacat=0

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Well done Floyd. Now, for all the wire guys out there...where do you connect it at in the machine. Off the keypad led?

CNC Carver
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Needs a 12VDC not sure the voltage of the power supply in CW.

CNC Carver
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Here is some on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Cool-White-Waterproof-Strip-Light/dp/B004ZUYI72/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 11:46 AM
I would like to find some with their own plug. All I have found so far is battery or hard wired.

chief2007
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I would like to find some with their own plug. All I have found so far is battery or hard wired.

I just order these from Amazon has the transformer and switch included. http://www.amazon.com/10-inch-LED-Cabinet-Linkable-Connectors/dp/B004DBU1O2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1R9EHGONRFYPP&coliid=I2H6TS6ZZ56SPY

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Those will do. Chief saves my butt again. Many thanks.

CarverJerry
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
The one that I used has a 12 vold DC power supply, it's a small square box that plugs into the house outlet and the cord has a connector on it. The lights don't draw much current so you don't need a large amp size charger. I'd say 500milliamp would be more than enough. I have a seperate switch on an outlet/switch box that is mounted on my CW stand. One outlet is always hot and the other is switched. I always unplug my machine when I'm finished carving....just a habbit I got into. I purchased a bunch of these power supplies at an Audio-Technica spring sale for a dollar each....I took the whole box, about 40 chargers.
If you take a look here you can see both the lights I use and the charger & plugs for making shadow boxes for lithopanes. http://s881.beta.photobucket.com/user/CarverJerry/library/Lightbox%20for%20Lithopanes

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I went with the one chief suggested. I like the fact that I don't have to wire anything.

CarverJerry
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Most of those lights have adheasive tape, but I still used hot glue to make sure they don't come loose and fall down into the work area. You'll enjoy the extra light inside the machine......what a difference.

bergerud
02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Here is what I have done. I spiced a usb cable into the power supply (5V) and through the hole in the head casting. I can now plug in any one of those usb powered laptop lights. (I need a stronger one.) It is very nice since it turns on and off with the machine.

bergerud
02-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I found a very nice Logiix 20 LED USB light at a drugstore. It is perfect. (Thank you unitedcases for starting this thread and giving me the idea.)

unitedcases
02-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Your welcome bergerud. I went with the one chief suggested. It is awesome. I just like derogatory what's going on in there. Especially since I still have a habit of watching it run.

henry1
02-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Here is what I have done. I spiced a usb cable into the power supply (5V) and through the hole in the head casting. I can now plug in any one of those usb powered laptop lights. (I need a stronger one.) It is very nice since it turns on and off with the machine.
Were about did you splice on to the power supply bergerud is there a certain place were you splice on the power supply pic would be nice if you can I am thinking of doing the same

bergerud
02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Were about did you splice on to the power supply bergerud is there a certain place were you splice on the power supply pic would be nice if you can I am thinking of doing the same

I wired the red and black USB wires (cut off the green and white data wires) to the red and black power wires going to the computer. (The red wire is 5V, the yellow is 24V) I just used a pin to poke two holes through the red and black power supply wires and threaded the USB wires through the holes, twisted them and taped them up. (I pulled the wire out for the picture, it tucks back behind the board.) I suppose a fuse would have been nice but I feel pretty safe with the USB plug.

henry1
02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
bergerud your led light are for 5v right I got here at 12v but the 5v don't light as mush I need 24v or 5v to get it to be bright guest going to have to look around

bergerud
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
My USB lights are 5V. The only other voltage on the CW is 24V. The yellow wire on the power is the 24V wire. (Actually there is a 24V source right there in the scanner probe plug which I think is for the probe electromagnet.) I think I would include an inline fuse if I was going to tap into the 24V. The LEDs do not take much power but a short would!

henry1
02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
My USB lights are 5V. The only other voltage on the CW is 24V. The yellow wire on the power is the 24V wire. (Actually there is a 24V source right there in the scanner probe plug which I think is for the probe electromagnet.) I think I would include an inline fuse if I was going to tap into the 24V. The LEDs do not take much power but a short would!
I did put an inline fuse 12v fuse just in case thx for the come back

Ton80
02-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I use Superbrightleds (http://superbrightleds.com). They have an incredible amount of styles and the prices are really hard to beat. You can easily compare specs using their website which is also one of the best. Probably look at the Rigid Light Bar section for what you want to do.

Capt Bruce
03-31-2013, 03:52 PM
I just order these from Amazon has the transformer and switch included. http://www.amazon.com/10-inch-LED-Cabinet-Linkable-Connectors/dp/B004DBU1O2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1R9EHGONRFYPP&coliid=I2H6TS6ZZ56SPY

I wanted to add a Plus 1 to the LED Lights set pointed out by Chief2007. I installed a set two weeks ago and it has been one of the greatest additions to my CWs since dust collection with Floyd's RNB. I've wasted more time trying to see what's going on in there, is the wood set squarely, how is the carve going, etc, etc.

The $24 lights set includes three bars with 9 LEDs each. I mounted just one light bar with three mini zip cables through 1/8" holes in the ribs of the black cover thinking if it wasn't bright enough I could add more. Well one strip is more than enough with no shadow areas because the lights go from one side to the other up behind the clear shield. As an unplanned plus since the light is not wired down into the machine it comes away clean when the cover must be removed for maintenance work.

I led the cable to the back and slipped behind the clear cover switch before drilling a 1/4" hole shown below.
What a difference it makes and the external in line switch on the cord from the 110 power adapter plug makes it easy to turn off when I'm not watching it carve.

I can't recommend this highly enough Team. CarveWright please consider this as an upgrade or low cost option.

61334 61335 61336 61337

61338 61339

My shop is not dark but the new LEDs are so bright that my camera defaults to the interior light now inside the CW as the norm.
No more trying to aim a halogen desk lamp or flashlight through the clear cover and trying to see through reflections to know what's going on in there. My 2 cents

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Bright Idea !!!!!

AL

rcdages
04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Very nice Capt. Bruce

Underdog
04-02-2013, 08:16 AM
This seems like a great addition to the CW. I've been wearing out my iPhone batteries lighting up the inside to see stuff. Thanks for posting this info! One more thing to put on my "to do" list.