PDA

View Full Version : Length of usage

atldal
02-11-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm trying to figure out how many bits I will need to get started. How long on average would you say a bit lasts and what are the bits I really need to get started with a CarveWright?

Thanks,
SHane

lawrence
02-11-2013, 07:16 AM
My first carving bit lasted a very long time (100+ hours) but I would say it was probably overdue for a sharpening when I changed it out. I recommend having one spare.

Cutting bits are more liable to breakages (IMHO) for several reasons (mostly user error including depth of carve issues) and I recommend one or two spares.

I use my V bits quite a bit and recommend one bit (the CMT laser point here) I can't think of any way you could break one (within reason) and have never needed to have a spare in reserve. You should notice it dulling in plenty of time to be able to order another when the time comes.
http://www.amazon.com/CMT-858-501-11-Cutting-Diameter-16-Inch/dp/B000P4JOOY

Those are the 3 bits I use the most.... I also use the 3/16 carving bit and the 3/8 jointing from time to time, but I've never had (nor felt I needed) backups for those. Again, with the 3/8 jointing bit I've found that an outside source bit (Whiteside) to be the best IMHO. I don't know if Carvewright's bit is inferior, but I've never been anything but thrilled with Whitside's quality and this bit can be found for half the price of the Carvewright version (and is Made in the USA)

Hope this helps and you're able to muddle through my rantings :) I haven't had my coffee yet...

Lawrence

unitedcases
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Well said Lawrence. Beat me to the punch. I use mostly 3/16 in oak and my 1/16 is mostly used in sapele and maple. I can get over 100 hrs easily. But it all depends on the care of the bit. We were all educated a while back on how to back spin a bit in your drill on a diamond plate and get more hours out of them. Plus you should always clean your bits after every use. I use oven cleaner and it works very well. Most of us can listen to the carve and tell when the bit needs to be replaced. You definitely need the 1/16 to start out with. As you tackle more intricate projects then you can add as needed. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Gean
02-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I use spray carburetor cleaner. It's designed to clean away the "varnish" from old gas. Has about the same properties as the pitch. Spray some on a cloth and wipe down the bit. ta dah!

Gean