PDA

View Full Version : My experience with an ER type spindle retrofit

Xblack
02-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Spindle Conversion to ER11

I read Bergerud's posts about converting the Carvewright spindle to ER-type. There are some really great advantages to this chuck type, including bit cost and availability, secure grip of carbide bits, etc., so I decided to retrofit my machine to ER chuck.

I decided upon using a 16mm x 100mm ER11. I bought one on Ebay for about $25 and received it about a week later. The inside diameter is 8mm and not threaded.

I pretty much did everything Bergerud detailed in his thread with one major exception -the flexshaft hole. Instead of brazing in a plug to be later drilled and squared, I forged the diameter of the upper part of the spindle down in order to maintain as thick a wall between the 10mm dia. bearing journal, the 8mm dia. springclip journal and the 4.1mm flexshaft hole as possible.

Since the ER11 chuck I bought was 100mm long, I used the extra length to practice forging the end diameter down. The extra length afforded me enough material to practice the job twice. I would suggest anyone planning to try this to practice also, no matter how much steel you've hot worked -who knows what crazy modern alloy these things from varying sources are made of, and who knows how predictably those alloys will react to being worked using tradional methods. I've learned about this the hard way in the past. In this case I found that hot working was pretty much the same as any standard high-carbon steel I've worked, but if worked AT ALL below glowing red it will very quickly crack. The best way I have found to hot work a steel tube and maintain concentricity and not end up with a confused mess is to rotate it about 5 degrees with every whack and use a glancing blow in the direction you want to allow the tube to lenghen, otherwise the displaced material will just squish in place causing an irretreivably recurring ovoid mess. Use the end hole's roundness and size as a guide while forging. I necked the shaft down until the 8mm ID became about 3mm and then virtually closed the hole altogether at the very end so it would not act as a pilot when re-drilled on the lathe. When I re-drilled, I started with a very short 1/8" carbide burr to establish concentricity and then gradually worked it up to full size with regular drill bits. After turning the new spindle I re-hardened and then re-tempered the the upper bearing/springclip/flexshaft area to light-yellow. While forging, I had tried to keep the heat-effected zone from spreading too far, but I also remembered how soft the original QC spindle was and so did not get too carried away with heat sinks and periodic quenching, etc.

Another change I made from Bergerud's plan was to use 6000zz and 6002zz bearings instead of 6000v and 6002v. I just could not find a good source for v-type bearings nearby and figured I could change them out if there developed a problem. I have noticed that the lower bearing tops out at a high of about 150F after about 45 min run time.

I am very happy with my super solid new spindle and thank Bergerud for the idea!

Oh -and after having the ZTruck off the machine and gotten a good look at it, I've decided it would be really nice if someone would after-market a replacement out of milled billet aluminum. It's probably the weakest part of the whole machine.

easybuilt
02-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Thank you for all the detail information, sound like you did a great job!

bergerud
02-11-2013, 01:22 AM
That is great. You will have to post a video.

Oh -and after having the ZTruck off the machine and gotten a good look at it, I've decided it would be really nice if someone would after-market a replacement out of milled billet aluminum. It's probably the weakest part of the whole machine.

Could have dust collection hose built in?

badbert
02-11-2013, 01:31 AM
That's why I have been holding on the extra Z-trucks I have. I can find all of the collets but the chuck itself is hard to find. Can you post a link to the one you bought. And also if you want to make a second one to videotape, I would gladly volunteer my truck, and buy the chuck! :) Would love to see a step-by-step. I have not done any forging since high-school! Thank you for the info!

Xblack
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
A good search on Ebay for this chuck is "C16 ER11". The ones that come up will have a 16mm OD and will (or should) have the 8mm through hole. 5/8" OD should work too. From my observations, any larger OD will have a corresponding larger ID, and this will likely make forging the ID down to 3mm while maintaining an OD large enough to turn down to 10mm a riskier endeavour. Yes I know the more reasonably priced ones are mostly from China, but the quality seems decent and shipping fast.

For removing the QC I made a long square taper tool and torqued from the top after removing the flexshaft "tophat" instead of from underneath. When using a long square taper, the stress is distributed from the contact area up through the rest of the taper greatly minimizes the likelyhood of the tool sheering like many complain of when using the normal square-drive bit. A square cross-sectioned screw extractor of the right size would work well too.

Once you have broken free the QC chuck, removing the spindle really is easier than it seems. I found that (after removing the ztruck from the machine) dropping a common nail into the flexshaft hole so the head rests on the top of the spindle and tapping on it with a light hammer while holding the ztruck manually worked best. The QC spindle is so soft that tapping on it's top, even lightly, will cause it to mushroom and make it too wide to pass through the top bearing inner race. Once the spindle has been driven into the top bearing, the risk of mushrooming is gone, so a drift pin can be used, but continue holding the ztruch manually -that thing is so fragile I would worry that the force needed to drive the spindle would be more than the ztruck's structure and material can bear if held ridgidly. The lower bearing can be removed in a vise with the correct dia sockets, etc. as others have outlined -although you should probably just leave it and install a new lower bearing on the new spindle anyway.

Xblack
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Could have dust collection hose built in?

Great idea -a plenum compartment could be built in too. Perhaps also with an integral back half of a "dust cap" milled in.

bergerud
02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Great idea -a plenum compartment could be built in too. Perhaps also with an integral back half of a "dust cap" milled in.

Yes, very interesting. Could even have its own vacuum with a fan on the spindle shaft.

I have to comment, however, about the need to forge. I think if you get a spindle with the 8mm draw threads, the interior, unthreaded hole will be small enough to thread in the plug. I think fine threads and red Loctite is all you would really need. (I just used brass instead of Loctite.)

Xblack
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Hmm -I guess the plug could be an M8 SHCS, with 1mm gap left between the spindle top and the screw head for the springclip? The screwhead would have to be trimmed short though so it does not hit the flexshaft housing base. I seem to remember only 3-4mm distance between flexshaft housing base and the springclip. Hell, you could just put in a washer at that point instead of the springclip and use blue loctite so -

Wait -you could just use a M8 SHCS with the flexshaft hole bored through it going directly into the 10mm bearing journal. The head of an M8 is at least 11mm I think. No springclip no washer no gap or anything -just some blue loctite to keep it from spinning off during deceleration. You just have to be sure to get a threaded ER11 chuck -mine was not.

Edit -the head dia of an M8 SHCS is 13mm

ktjwilliams
02-15-2013, 07:26 AM
When I did my ER20 spindle, I first cut it down to length then threaded bout 1/2 inch into spindle and added a bolt, tightening into spindle very snug.. I cut the bolt off just above the top of the spindle then flushed it to the top of the spindle on the lathe when I was cutting the spindle.. SInce the bolt was a lot softer then the carbide spindle, it was fairly easy to drill and shape with micro files to fit the flex shaft.. I also have an ER11 but the 11 limits you to 1/4 max bits, where the 20 allows upto 1/2 bits.. Never had a problem with any kind of spin out or things like that. I don't think these machines have enough power or torque to cause any spin out.. In my opinion don't over work it, keep it simple !!!! I got the ER20 off ebay for $ 16 off ebay.. it came from Hong Kong.. so if something goes wrong with it I make a new one in bout an hr or 2 ... I like I said,, been using mine for bout a yr and 1/2 without a problem.. HOWEVER !! I DON'T RECOMMEND GETTING YOUR COLLETS FROM CHINA... USA only for collets... Shars.com ... USA spindles are harded to cut because USA carbide is better then the china version... LOL !!!