PDA

View Full Version : old Sears Compucarve

want2b
02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
My carver is coming up on 6 yrs old. Had almost a yr and decided to bite the bullet and buy the Sears 5 yr warranty. Seemed like a lot of money($500+) back then for it but there was a lot of issues with the machine using the original chuck. Never bought an extended warranty on anything but I wasn't sure I could do all the troubleshooting and the repairs. This turned out to be a good decision for me, had several issues which included not only replacing the chuck but the cpu. Best I can fiqure in parts alone they replaced over $800.00 let alone labor and shipping.
Now my warranty is running out, contacted Sears and they will extend me another 5 yrs for $500. Since I changed the chuck to a rock several years ago I have only had minimal problems. Sent it back for a 'checkup' last month just for grins as that is allowed yearly as part of the warranty. Said it was ok and they did a clean up & lube(they rated its value $200). Having a hard time deciding yea or nay on buying the extension. Not using it as much as I would like but that may change as I 'tire' of working even part-time(doing 24 hrs a wk now). But then again since updating to the rock the carver seems to run without all the old errors. On the other side shipping alone from the east coast to Texas in the event of a problem would be a load. Guess that's why they call it insurance. Guess I just wanted to vent, any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Rick H.

CNC Carver
02-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Seems like cheap insurance. 5 years of anual checkups would double your cost. Just my opion. I haven't had many troubles with mine either but it would be nice to know the machine would be fixed no matter what happens.

badbert
02-10-2013, 05:58 PM
My carver is coming up on 6 yrs old. Had almost a yr and decided to bite the bullet and buy the Sears 5 yr warranty. Seemed like a lot of money($500+) back then for it but there was a lot of issues with the machine using the original chuck. Never bought an extended warranty on anything but I wasn't sure I could do all the troubleshooting and the repairs. This turned out to be a good decision for me, had several issues which included not only replacing the chuck but the cpu. Best I can fiqure in parts alone they replaced over $800.00 let alone labor and shipping.
Now my warranty is running out, contacted Sears and they will extend me another 5 yrs for $500. Since I changed the chuck to a rock several years ago I have only had minimal problems. Sent it back for a 'checkup' last month just for grins as that is allowed yearly as part of the warranty. Said it was ok and they did a clean up & lube(they rated its value $200). Having a hard time deciding yea or nay on buying the extension. Not using it as much as I would like but that may change as I 'tire' of working even part-time(doing 24 hrs a wk now). But then again since updating to the rock the carver seems to run without all the old errors. On the other side shipping alone from the east coast to Texas in the event of a problem would be a load. Guess that's why they call it insurance. Guess I just wanted to vent, any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Rick H. I believe someone on here, returned their's for a refund! And got his full purchase price... Like $2700?! Bought a brand new C with all the upgrades... Yeah it might be worth extending! :)

fwharris
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I've heard that Sears was not servicing the CompuCarve any more and if a customer had any issues with the machine they were buying them out on the warranty. They got their full purchase price back and got to keep the machine.

chebytrk
02-10-2013, 07:06 PM
yup... I heard the same thing too.

skeeterman
02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
i have an old compucarve, and i have the master protection agreement with them for another year, it would be nice to have a new machine, but out of all 4 machines i have the compucarve is the most reliable one of the bunch, i would hate to send it back to them when she is running good.
steve

fwharris
02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
i have an old compucarve, and i have the master protection agreement with them for another year, it would be nice to have a new machine, but out of all 4 machines i have the compucarve is the most reliable one of the bunch, i would hate to send it back to them when she is running good.
steve

Mine also, It just seems to hum right along. Had some early issues like most. I did not do the protection plan at the time, pockets were not that deep for the machine price back in 2007...

want2b
02-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Appreciate the feedback, I am leaning towards buying the extension. I wasn't aware of any buy back and it wasn't offerred when I took it in for a 'checkup'. Haven't run it since getting it back so I can only go by the note on the return tag that the machine checked out ok and that it was cleaned & lubed. Did check and I can tell areas are cleaner than when I sent it.

Thx, Rick H

jerrbitt
02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
I have one of the first Sears Compucarve and the warranty was expiring next month in fact. they sent me a notice that I could extend the warranty for either 1, 2, or 3 yrs. I've had good luock with the warranty getting reapair work done so I opted for another year on the warranty. No mention of a buy back however.

jerrbitt
02-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Was not aware of the "checkup" offer but after reading theagreement, I see where they will perform a preventive maintenance routine once a year. Where did they send your machine to for the checkup?

want2b
02-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Had to take it to a 'repair' store, most of the stores around here either are locally owned or they aren't bi enough to support a repair section. Nearest to me is about an hour away. Took it to them all boxed up, they don't box them. They then shipped it to their Texas repair center where they serviced it and shipped back. Gone about 3 weeks. My understanding is Sears basically has two repair centers, one in Texas for tools and one in Ca. for electronics. Sent it in a couple of years ago and it go sent to Ca by mistake, they wouldn't send to Tx, sent all the way back here and they had to resend which made my down time almost 6 weeks. Other than that they have done excellent work and never questioned my bringing it in. The Tx repairman called me because I had cut the lid for vacuum access. He was going to replace it if it wasn't intentional. First couple of yrs with the original chuck I had a lot of problems and the controller board also died. From the list of parts they have replaced I figure about $850 so far and that does not include any labor.

Rick H.