PDA

View Full Version : Cable Lube - Moly or Teflon?

Underdog
02-07-2013, 08:20 AM
I've seen some say Triflow w/Teflon works better than even the Solvent/Moly that LHR sells. They said the housing quit getting hot after application.

What say you?

Old Salt
02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I have had very good luck with moly but don't over lube.
Put it on let it soak in and wipe off outside of cable.

chkorte
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I bought my CW in 2009. Shortly after receiving it the flex cable broke and I had to replace it early in 2010. At that time I lubed the flex cable and the housing with the moly lube. I disconnected the housing from the cut motor, filled it with moly lube, put the flex cable in it and let it soak for an hour. Then I removed the flex cable, drained the housing and let the flex cable and housing drip dry for a couple hours. I then reinstalled both on the CW and am still using the same flex cable and housing. From time to time I check the housing temperature with an infrared thermometer while carving and it has never been more than a few degrees higher than the room temperature and barely warm to the touch. Whenever I have a need to disconnect the flex cable from the spindle I pull the flex cable out of the housing and apply a couple drops of cam lube before connecting it back up to the spindle. I don’t feel a need to try something different when this has worked so well for me.

henry1
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I'v had very good luck with this white lithim lube and still have original flex shaft from 2009

DocWheeler
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I have considered posting these thoughts before but hesitated.

In my opinion, there are two wear areas, the core of the flex-cable, and where it rubs the outer cover - the metal "spring" wear-wire.
The thin moly lube would seem best for inside the flex-cable but not so good for the contact with the outer wear-wire.
The Cam-lube or other grease like moly-graph is too thick for the inside of the cable but works great for the outer contacts (wear-wire).

I use the moly-lube spray on the core, let it sit for awhile, wipe it off, and wipe on a little moly-graph (from Harbor Freight), and put it back together.

So, I use both and have not had any problems with the flex-shaft.