PDA

View Full Version : Shipping cost for new bits

Clyde Cochrane
02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Can anyone explain to me why LRH charges SO MUCH for shipping? A couple of weeks ago I ordered 3 things - 2 carbon brushs and a pack of 1/2" and 1/4" stop collars. They were shipped to me in a small yellow envelope, and when I looked at what LRH paid for postage, it was ~$3.50, yet thhey charged me $25 for shipping, taking an order totaling $21.98 and MORE THAN DOUBLING IT. Then, today, I am looking to order 2 1/16" carving bits, knowing that they are light and will probably be shipped the sam way, and, sure enough, the shipping is $25!!! Am I the only one who thinks that this is bloody ridiculous? I am stationed in Hawaii, yet the ACTUAL cost of shipping these lightweight items in minimal, and I would expect to pay for it, of course.

Why is LRH gouging customers on shipping, and is anyone else experiencing this? I would love to hear some explanation that even comes close to answering why I am paying 5 times the amount of actual shipping on orders, especially from someone who works at LRH.

mtylerfl
02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I would recommend that you contact CarveWright directly for an answer to your questions regarding shipping/handling charges. The forum is really not the place for topics such as this IMO. It is a business matter between you and CarveWright.

lawrence
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
+1 to contacting LHR directly-

I don't agree however about this forum not being the place for this conversation. (though perhaps some of the language is a bit harsh (gouging) ) I would rather discuss this civilly (again) here on this forum than see it hashed out on another forum where we have less chance of dispelling any misinformation. I understand that LHR owns/pays for the forum - and that allowing open bashing of the company is probably not in their best interest, but an open discussion about a common complaint is not really out of order IMHO.

This being said, I believe a call to LHR before coming to conclusions isn't out of order either... just part of being a courteous customer

Also, if you search for "shipping" you'll find out that this has been brought up/discussed before and that LHR has given responses to the questions and has explained their business model when it comes to shipping.
V/r
Lawrence

mtylerfl
02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Well said, Lawrence and it's always interesting to read another point of view. Personally, whenever I've had a "beef" with any company or individual, I always go directly to the source to resolve any problem. Seems like a more efficient use of time and effort. ;)

EDIT: Ha! After I thought about the word "always", I realized that's not true - I usually whine and complain to my wife about stuff first, THEN I go to the source to resolve an issue! :D

Rob Mulgrew
02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
I experienced the same problem and contacted LHR directly. They told me they price shipping so high so you purchase more items per order. I was going to order a few plastic bearing covers that can fit in an envelope with a stamp and shipping was $12.00 so I called them and they told me that $12.00 was their lowest shipping cost they offer and they encourage you to order as many items as possible becuase the shipping cost would not go up until you reached 3lbs in weight. I dont need anything else yet so I am running without the clips.
Rob

lynnfrwd
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Well, that was close...

We don't price it high to make you order more. Minimum is $12 to continental US, I guess $25 to Hawaii, $45 to Canada? And not sure about Alaska.

We encourage you to take advantage of that rate not going up until 3 lbs by ordering as much at one time as possible.

Whether you live two hours down the road or on a road that you give directions to by sawing turn right when you pass the old plow on the corner and is handled by 6 different handling stations, it is the same. Whether it is a .99 item or $300 item, weighs 2 oz or 2.99 lbs determines whether it's sent USPS or ups in a box or in an envelope.

We also have personnel expenses or handling fees; not just a shipping charge. Not going to take the additional time to figure out each orders circumstances. Is it in major location like Toronto or dog sledded into a village?

Some orders take up every bit of that fee, some take more and some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Personally, whenever I've had a "beef" with any company or individual, I always go directly to the source to resolve any problem. Seems like a more efficient use of time and effort.

+1 - I try to do so as well, though I've been known to "fly off the handle" from time to time myself :)

CW-HAL9000
02-07-2013, 12:57 AM
I disagree that he should not discuss this issue on the forum. A lot of people are complaining about shipping and eventually the company will have to take another look at their shipping charges. Discussing this issue in a public forum will bring about change much quicker.

I work in a company that does a lot of shipped sales and what the company does is study shipping costs each year and then incorporate those costs into the total costs of the item so free shipping is offered on most items. Even though people are paying shipping built into the cost of the item they feel better when they see " free shipping" on most items. Even large items where shipping is charged it is seen as reasonable charges.

This whole system came about after complaints and after the decision was made to offer free shipping as a way to out do the competitors. Customer good will means a lot.

badbert
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
So the change came about in competition... In this case there is no competition. We are not dealing with Dell computers. Or Microsoft for that matter. We are dealing with a smaller company who like every other company in this industry, is struggling to keep their foothold. There is no other CNC manufacturer out there that have the capabilities of this machine in this price range. I agree the less you order, the higher the prices seem. But the more you order, the prices seem more reasonable. There are a lot of parts, such as bits, bearings, and belts that can be ordered elsewhere, with cheaper shipping. But the majority of parts are only available through them. Unless you have a machine stopper, wait until you have a large enough order to make the shipping costs worthwhile. And learn from this by ordering extra machine stopper parts. So next time you can just add it to the list, rather than make a special order. Someday, I will build a bigger better CNC. But until then, I want LHR to stick around so I can get parts! And if it takes $12 shipping costs to make sure they do, then that is the cost of doing business. No one said this hobby would be cheap. Try ordering parts for a Larger CNC!

CW-HAL9000
02-07-2013, 01:41 AM
I am sure the company I work for is smaller then LHR there are three employees and a literal mom and pop owners. I also don't like the idea that we have to buy more stuff to feel better about shipping. I have never complained and the twelve is bearable but this guy just paid 25 and then got an envelope showing three. At least LHR should look at stamps.com or a meter which hides the cost of shipping so recipient does not see it.

I agree carvewrights are great but if we want the company to be around they must not upset customers like this. You can win the battle but lose the war. There is a reason this issue comes up in this forum again and again. And don't forget for every one that complains there are three others that walk away mad and don't say anything except to their friends who tell others and so on.

I am sure this thread will be closed and I have said what I want to say so I will go back to carving.

mtylerfl
02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
...and here we go! ;)