PDA

View Full Version : Used CarveWright

atldal
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Hello,

I've been saving to buy a CarveWright and I came across a used one that has a probe with it. Does the probe require special software in order to work?

Thanks,
Shane

fwharris
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Hello,

I've been saving to buy a CarveWright and I came across a used one that has a probe with it. Does the probe require special software in order to work?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane,
The probe does come with the pattern editor software and most time if it is a used machine the software has already been activated making the probe just a tool. You can purchase the pattern editor software with out the probe. The same is true for all software additions beyond the basic software that comes with the machine..

badbert
02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Basically the software for the probe is $200. But for $212 at Lowes you can get the software and the probe. You are asking the wrong questions, so I will give you some answers you didn't ask. There are 3 models of the carvewright. A, B, C. There are three different "chuck" options. The original is the QC, it requires a lot of additional maintenance. And if not maintained properly, will fail. The two other chucks are the CarveTight and the Rock. Both are better chucks. You should take these in consideration, because if what you are buying has a QC, you are going to want to change it. To a tune of $150. If you have an A model you need to make sure the ribbon cable to the Trucks is a 14 pin cable or when it wears out you will have to upgrade the boards to match the new 14 pin cable. Another $150. Also did you check the prices at Carvewright.com. Most other places are charging more. And most of Ebays prices are absurd!! Let us know what you are looking at, and price and we can help you from there!

atldal
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM
The one I purchased, but have not received yet is a model CW.01.01. Not sure which that is, but it was completly updated at Carvewright in 2011. So I'm not sure which model that is an a, b, or c

fwharris
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
The one I purchased, but have not received yet is a model CW.01.01. Not sure which that is, but it was completly updated at Carvewright in 2011. So I'm not sure which model that is an a, b, or c

Did they give you a serial number? The start with A, B or C and that tells you the model number..

atldal
02-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the help on this. I don't have the serial number. I can't wait to get it and start carving though. It went back to carvewright in 2011 for a spindle, rubber belts, alignment, etc and hasn't been used since. I'm still kind of new to this, but will all the bits fit all the machines with the proper bit adapters?

fwharris
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the help on this. I don't have the serial number. I can't wait to get it and start carving though. It went back to carvewright in 2011 for a spindle, rubber belts, alignment, etc and hasn't been used since. I'm still kind of new to this, but will all the bits fit all the machines with the proper bit adapters?

It sounds like they did the upgrade package http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20567&cat=297&page=1 so it is most likely a B version machine. The CarveTight chuck is 1/2" chuck and will accept 1/4" bits by using the 1/4" split collet. If any of the bits have the old quick change adapters on them they will have to be removed to be used in the new chuck.

Great time to go to the main CW site and start digesting all that you can in the support section..