PDA

View Full Version : finding depth

captbuck
02-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi, I certainly would appreciate some help. I started carving the project of the month (Endless Love Heart Box) and the machine carved the lid (there are 3 pieces to cut on this board) and asked that I change to 1/8 cutting bit, which I did. The machine did its calculations and I got an error message that the depth did not agree and gave me the options to re-find depth or continue so I chose to re-find several times and still received the same error message. I then chose to continue and the machine started to drill the hole but when the bit touched the board it stopped and I got an error message that the X axis was jammed. (I didn't write it down but I think it said X axis). I took the board out and put a new one in the machine. It did the same thing this time so I asked it to re-find depth 3 or 4 times with the same results. This time I chose continue and it moved to the homing position and attempted to drill the hole and cut out the lid, the only problem is that the bit was about 1/4" above the board. So now I'm out 3 hours and two boards with nothing to show for it. Yes, I can drill the hole and cut out the lid on my bandsaw but if I try again it will start with the lid which I already have two of. Will somebody offer me help with the depth control?

Thank you,
Buck

bergerud
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I think the members would need some more information about your situation. What machine - A, B or C? What chuck? Did the bit touch the bit plate twice?

(My first thought would be that something is restricting the z movement. Frozen z bearing?)

captbuck
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks bergerud, it is a Carvewright C and the chuck is the one with the pressed on collar (don't know what it is called) but you loosen the screw, slide the bit up against the shoulder and tighten the screw. As far as the bit plate, I was looking through the opening over the top of the cover and I actually couldn't tell if it was touching the plate or not. I did make that clicking sound twice as if it was touching it. I hate to be so vague on this but you have to understand that you're dealing with a dumb a... on this machine. The Z movement is the truck that moves up and down, right?

bergerud
02-06-2013, 04:48 PM
You need to see if the bit actually touches the bit plate. And yes the z movement is up and down. The z truck should move up and down smoothly (when the machine is switched off). If something causes extra drag on the z truck, the machine might mistake that for touching the bit plate and so get the wrong length for the bit. Also, I suspect that it was a z axis stall not an x stall as you said.

Anyway, bit plate operation is the first step in trouble shooting. Try and note exactly what the bit does and when you get the error.

captbuck
02-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Thank you very much for your help. I think I have the problem solved. Evidently the bit plate wasn't swinging all the way around. I clean the machine after every carving but there must have been some sawdust hindering it from moving enough for the bit to make contact. I cleaned it good and put just a little WD40 on the swivel and it appears to be working fine now. I'll know for sure when it finishes the carving and starts the cutout. It did not have a problem with the beginning depth.

Thanks again,
Buck