PDA

View Full Version : Getting started, need advice which way to jump

Underdog
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Just sent a payment for a used CW model B last night. It's four years old, and is virtually unused. The previous owner didn't get the bit inserted right on the first run. I guess he noticed after it started up and he tried to stop it, but it crashed into the wood breaking the bit. So he orded a complete new bit set, and some upgrade belts, but never installed the belts, or used the bits. He's including the probe with the machine and will be shipping it this week.

When I get it I plan to install the upgrade belts, do all the maintenance advised in the CW videos here, order and install an upgrade chuck, and purchase or make my own dust collection adapter.

Several questions:

1) Since the complete bit set was ordered for the old quickchange chuck, don't they have some kind of hot pressed sleeve to fit that chuck? Should I just get the new CarveTight chuck instead of the Rock Chuck or that ER collet chuck?

2) What are the easiest to find and least expensive but best lubes to buy for the maintenance? I read that the Tri-flow with Teflon is a good lube for the cable, but do I get the grease or the spray? And what about the columns and lead screws?

3) Are there some DIY tutorials on dust collection? I can cut, drill, and shape sheet metal if necessary.

Keep in mind that although I got a deal on this machine, I have a limited budget, and need to save as much as possible. If I buy just a couple of those software modules, it'll take the rest of what it took me a year to save up...

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
WELCOME !!!! And Glad you asked...

As far as the Chuck... I love the Rock as I have the 1/4 inch bottom end and have a 1/2 inch bottom in case I need to do a 1/2 inch bit.

The CT gets many positive reviews here. You will need to remove the Bit Holders from the bits and someone will chime in about what is the best way to use them with the CT. The Trick is getting the sleeve lined up so you are squeezing it closed or Tite.

Glad you are taking the plunge with Dust Collecting. I made my collector in 2007 and cut a slot in the bottom and it hung over the metal lip. I sealed the bottom with weather seal but it was about 50% LESS effective as the all metal RingNeckBlues collector I use now.

You may want to look at the Dust Shoe that has 37 pages of posts and files... That I believe will be the wave of the future... I look forward to building one.

The machine can be self supporting... I use my machine for business.

If you have not, find and read Tips and Tricks on the LHR page but since you are already up to speed on the Maintenance then I bet you are way ahead of me.

The Flex Shaft needs to be nurtured... If the B has not been shipped yet, have him remove the Flex from the Cut Motor and include in the box. The Motor Housing can FRACTURE shipping with the Flex installed in the Cut Motor.

As for the proper lube..... At this point I recommend the $5.00 jar from LHR as it proven in the long haul to be the best... The Solvent part helps the Molly get INSIDE the Flex Core. The Grease and other stuff just does not offer the proven reliability of the OLD FORMULA that is hard to get now. LHR has a bucket of it.... Over Lube will cause the lube to get into the Top Hat of the Truck and makes HEAT as the lube gets into the High Speed Bearings...

Get a SMOKE DETECTOR and install it above the machine.... I use a Wireless Intercom to listen to the machine from the shop next door. It is NOT RECOMMENDED to let your machine Cut UN ATTENDED... One user doing a long project left the house last summer, returned to find his outside Shop had burned and the Fire Dept was just leaving....

I had a kinked Flex and it set off my Smoke Detector smoking BLACK ready to FLAME UP.... Jammed Wood in machine can BURN TOO....

Good Luck,

AL