PDA

View Full Version : Outside wood

unitedcases
02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I am making some squadron colors or ribbons to display outside for the squadron. I am currently trying them out of cypress since that is a good outdoor wood. I am having a huge problem with chipout. The patterns are good. I feel its the wood not holding up. Any suggestions on what kind of wood to use for this project? I know I can use anything and seal it but I would rather have something that is already naturally resistant to the outside elements. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

mtylerfl
02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
I am making some squadron colors or ribbons to display outside for the squadron. I am currently trying them out of cypress since that is a good outdoor wood. I am having a huge problem with chipout. The patterns are good. I feel its the wood not holding up. Any suggestions on what kind of wood to use for this project? I know I can use anything and seal it but I would rather have something that is already naturally resistant to the outside elements. Thanks for the help.

Howdy,

Let's see the actual MPC's, please. That will help us get a "starting point" for the best course of action.

unitedcases
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Here is the MPC. The upper left and lower right have that gold band frame around it. That didnt come out good at all. The stars had some chips mainly on the points at the top of them. I would like the size to stay the same but if making them a bit bigger would help then I can do that. I have 10 total to do right now and the board I am putting them on is 4 ft wide by 2 ft tall, so I am a bit size restricted. I really want to stick with the cypress, so I hope you guys can work something out with this, Thanks.

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I had seen a tip on Sawmill Creek years ago to spray the board with a coat of Poly or Varnish to give the surface some stability. That is if you are going to paint them....

How are you Y Gear Box Bearings? Try a new bit?

Good Luck,

AL

unitedcases
02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Brand new bit, just finished my pm cycle. Its the patterns. I'm more sure of that the more I look at them.

Old Salt
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I use a lot of cypress and have found that the edge close grain will chip, try coating with shelace before carving and be suer to add some feather or draft to your stars and letters.
carves much like pine.
Slivers will get infection over night so be sure to check for any you get.

mtylerfl
02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Applying a small Draft may help, as already suggested. That's a tough one - when machining wood, small-ish items that have areas that taper to thin, sharp points will tend to chip at the pointed tips, here and there. Not a whole lot can be done about that without modifying the patterns (make the points a little blunter/rounded). Wood can be a little unpredictable when CNC machining. The bit will be rotating both with and against the woodgrain (climb and conventional) at various positions - can't always tell for sure what the REAL result will be until after-the-fact. The laurel leaf border is a bit of a machining challenge, too. You could try Bit Optimization: Best on those to see if you can get any improvement on the carve.

unitedcases
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I'll give it a shot. I will raise the ribbon pattern a bit to lessen the point on the star and I will use draft and optimization.

DickB
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I have used Minwax Wood Hardener on Baltic birch plywood prior to cutting clock gears. The teeth and especially the ratchet wheels that I cut have points in every grain direction and sometimes the tip of tooth's veneer surface will chip out. The wood hardener has helped.