PDA

View Full Version : Everything works but bit will not Spin

Kmbzak
02-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Well I finally broke down. The motor started changing speeds and when I went to change the bit it would not spin. If I let it sit for about an hour it will start going again but when it goes to the next pattern or need to change the bit it will need to sit for about an hour. It goes back and forth and up and down but no spin. WHat should I change first? and if it is the motor or brushes where is the best place to buy them at. I will need to overnight it because of orders pending... Its only about 5 months old. I knew things were going too good.

Thanks
Ken

unitedcases
02-03-2013, 04:35 PM
How many hours on the machine? Definitely sounds like you need new motor brushes and those are ordered directly from lhr.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

chief2007
02-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Well I finally broke down. The motor started changing speeds and when I went to change the bit it would not spin. If I let it sit for about an hour it will start going again but when it goes to the next pattern or need to change the bit it will need to sit for about an hour. It goes back and forth and up and down but no spin. WHat should I change first? and if it is the motor or brushes where is the best place to buy them at. I will need to overnight it because of orders pending... Its only about 5 months old. I knew things were going too good.

Thanks
Ken

Pull the cover and check the brushes on the motor. Also blow out the motor once you pulled the brushes to look at them. If you are between 225-250 cut hrs you are due to replace the brushes. Also check the cut motor switch to see if it might not be making good contact when the lid is closed. LHR is the only place to get the brushes unless someone has a spare set to sell you.

At 250 hrs you would also be due to replace the Y gear box bearings.

Kmbzak
02-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Last time I checked I am well over 250 hours. I was like a kid in a candy store trying all the setting and making things for the grandkids room. Can I order them online? or do I need to call it in.

chief2007
02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
You can order online, but I would call them if you need then as fast as you say you do to make sure they have them on hand. Get 2-3 sets and order anything else you might need to take advance of the shipping.

Kmbzak
02-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks I'll call them tomorrow

Rob Mulgrew
02-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Do you guys who have been around for a while recommend you follow the CW recommended maintance schedule? For other products and tools I have owned the manufacturer always seem to recommend more than you need and replace it more often than you need to. Or do you wait till certain parts break or are obviously worn?
Rob

unitedcases
02-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Each machine has its own schedule. I personally try to lube everything every 50 hrs or so and always change my brushes and rebuild my gearboxes around 200. I use the 3/16 bit mostly so I feel that I should stay a little ahead of the schedule. That's just me. The next person to chime will definitely say something different.

unitedcases
02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
To add to what I said earlier. Everytime I have taken my machine apart for a pm I always found that I had to spent a lot of time working the bearings to get them moving good again. So to alleviate that I implemented a 50 hr mini cycle so to speak where I lube everything that spins. All the carriage bearings and the tensioner assemblies. I have found that when I take the machine apart now those bearings are much more easy to deal with. Again, everyone does everything different at different times. This is just what works best for me.

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
The Maintenance is endorsed by many long time users... I like to call it Preventive Maintenance....

Look up the 250 hour post I did 6 months ago with all the things I found. IF the cut motor stalls during a cut because you waited to change the brushes and snaps a $40.00 bit then what have you really saved? Be looking at changing the Y Gearbox inner bearings at 250. Sure they will last to 450... but the quality cut of new bearings is worth it...

You should order at least 2 sets of Brushes, a FSC Cable as it is a Consumable in my opinion and have a board sensor too.... Sand Paper belts too.

You will save on shipping by doing it now and won't be in a time crunch when they go bad on a Saturday Morning...

Good Luck,

AL