PDA

View Full Version : Copy and Paste

bikeaccdnt
02-03-2013, 02:37 PM
How can you copy and paste in the Pattern Editor ?

I selected an area using the Rectangular Selection tool
I then pressed Ctrl-C to copy the selection

You would then think that pressing Ctrl-P to Paste would copy what was just selected but it does nothing.
The menu option Paste is greyed out so it is not an option.

How can I select an area and make a copy of that area so I can paste it somewhere else in the image ?

For that matter, how can you paste anything ? I never see paste be anything but greyed out.

Isnt this the most basic of all operations on a computer ?

badbert
02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Control P is for print... ctrl V is paste.

bikeaccdnt
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Ctrl-P was a typo. I meant Ctrl-V, which does not work

dbemus
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Select Your item. Click on copy in the edit menu. Hit paste. go to board and click. If it doesn't show up. go to original and move pasted copy where you want it.

mtylerfl
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Last I checked, Copy/Paste did not work in the Pattern Editor....I'm gonna check it again right now...

mtylerfl
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Nope...still does not function. Unfortunately, it has always been this way. Not sure if they have plans to fix it or not. I'll ask 'em next opportunity.

BTW, you can Copy in PE, and Paste that Copy directly into the Designer workspace (but NOT in PE itself).

bergerud
02-03-2013, 03:31 PM
I do not think copy - paste ever worked in the pattern editor. I assumed that the code was never even written for pattern protection reasons.

dbemus
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
You are right. Sorry to mislead you. I wasn't thinking carefully! LOL

mtylerfl
02-03-2013, 04:52 PM
BTW, you can Copy in PE, and Paste that Copy directly into the Designer workspace (but NOT in PE itself).

ADDENDUM: The above statement is not accurate - sorry. You can Copy a selection in PE...then when you back to Designer and select Paste, the Import Image window will appear with your selection. After that, you can save the selection as a Pattern (PTN), THEN you can use it directly in Designer. You could also Copy/Paste that selection (now a PTN) multiple times, Group, Make Pattern from your new "arrangement". A few hoops to go through, but works.

bergerud
02-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Interesting. Is that of any use? Does the paste in pattern editor ever become active?

lawrence
02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
The use I've found is that if you have something in the PE, you can copy it (or a portion of it) and then paste it into different software (like paint.net) and it will show as a greyscale.

This means you can save a pattern as a greyscale for use on other CNCs...
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/t1_zps1e682b43.jpg
copy from the right side

paste into paint.net
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/t2_zpsd31bc685.jpg

I've not had a ton of use for this, but it is a use

Lawrence

bergerud
02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I guess it could be useful to have gray scale go into the clipboard if the other software could not use .png.